Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Protective plastic film bra discolored

I discovered that the clear plastic protective bra on my ’07 Winnebago was discoloring in spots that looked like rust. When I checked several RV forums including this one for this problem I learned it was quite common but the members complained that they were not getting relief from manufacturers to their inquiries. In spite of the negative results on their part, I contacted Winnebago by email, and they had Dave Nagel of CDI, LLC, Forest City, IA, contact me. He acknowledged that there was a problem and offered to correct it. He made me an offer that I thought was very generous considering the coach was out of warranty. Today I had the plastic film removed and new material installed. I am very happy with the service I got.
I want to publically thank Dave Nagel, CDI, and Winnebago for standing behind their work. I highly recommend anyone doing business with these reputable firms.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Glad to hear a positive report. That's the way it should be. It's how Honda became the best rated auto company in the US.

Now if Winnie would only acknowledge their rust problem, my next MH might be another of theirs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Gents,
This is pretty good news. I've seen many threads/posts on the subject of "Faulty" 3M masks on the front of some real nice coaches. Lots of folks out there will never use that product again because of the issues they had/have and how hard it is to remove it. Many have had to repaint the front end of the coach after the mask was removed because the mask took the paint off with it when being removed.
So far, on our newly purhcased '04 Itasca Horizon, it looks flawless. it does protect the rig though.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I spent 5 hours yesterday washing and doing a quick detail job on our Tiffin...but didn't touch the front as it looks like crap with all the mold and bug stains...you can't really see it from ten feet away, but up close it is terrible. My wife and I discussed taking it off, but we like the protection it gives us from rock chips and the such...we will remove it before we sell it as it would definitley detract.

If you don't mind me asking, what did Winnie do to make it right? Maybe I can call Tiffin and see if they can follow suite?

Thanks!
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Take it off and leave it off! It does NOT protect from rock chips, as the rocks will chip the paint right thru it.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
Take it off and leave it off! It does NOT protect from rock chips, as the rocks will chip the paint right thru it.
Dave, I loved looking at your pictures I recognized several places as I use to live in Yellowknife, NWT. I traveled the Top of the World highway a couple of times and the Alaskan Hwy once. looks like you really enjoyed that part of our great continent.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

TxRvMan: All I did was contact Winnebago by email stating the problem. They contacted Dave Nagel of CDI and he emailed me with a solution that I accepted as being very generous. I cannot say enough good about him and his company. I had his material installed here in FL by Diamond shield. They did an excellent job removing the old film and installing the new. I am really happy with what everyone has done for me.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I just returned from Red Bay today (thinking about changing brands). I talked with the owner of an 03 Bus that had a significant problem with the mask. I believe that they told him that it would cost about $2500 to repaint and replace the mask. He spoke with the "boss" (BT himself) and he offered that they would remove and just repaint for 6 or 7 hundred.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We just returned from the Winnebago rally in Orlando Florida. One of the seminars was given by a 3M installer (unfortunately I lost his card and don't remember his name) who advised that most people do not know that they have a 5 year 100% warranty on the film and 3M has approved many that were as much as 6 yeras old for replacement. He also advised that the new film will not mildew as the adhesive has been changed.

The installed stated that it takes as long as 8 hours for him to remove the old film and warned that he had seen many motorhomes where the paint was damaged beyond repair when the film was removed with a heat gun.
According to him the only way to safely remove the film was to use a steamer, in fact he said the secret steam machine he uses is a simple garment steamer he buys at Target for about $40. As the film gets loose he uses a plastic putty knife to help it the rest of the way. With patience he stated 90% of the adhesive will stay on the film and not be an issue. Before application of the new film he advised he uses a good quality auto glaze to seal the paint.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote