Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Seems like a simple question with an obvious answer because of the safety issue, but I get the impression that some people are using propane while underway to keep their refrigerators functioning, and I wonder if that is true? Would appear the only other way to keep things cool would be to run the genset, which is sort of overkill, but is probably (?) safer if an accident occurs. Would appreciate some insight on this issue and, as always, appreciate your sharing your experience.

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Seems like a simple question with an obvious answer because of the safety issue, but I get the impression that some people are using propane while underway to keep their refrigerators functioning, and I wonder if that is true? Would appear the only other way to keep things cool would be to run the genset, which is sort of overkill, but is probably (?) safer if an accident occurs. Would appreciate some insight on this issue and, as always, appreciate your sharing your experience.

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
My propane is on all the time unless the coach is being stored. There may be some small statistical increase in risk that a propane leak can occur because the fridge/stove/furnace lines are all 'live' but doing this in a modern RV with a propane detector is safer than natural gas at home. These detectors are VERY sensitive. Keep the detector in good condition and you should be safe.

For our peace of mind we have an assortment of fire extinguishers (CO2, Halotron and aqueous foam) at our disposal for any number of potential fire sources, not just propane.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Jan: I agree with VICSRYD. I leave my proprane on for the refrig while traveling. Propane is more efficient and cheaper than running the generator at about 1/2 gallon of diesel an hour. Take care.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Run with mine on all the time, just turn off at the tank when in storage, and I always turn off the refrig when filling with gas, wife truns refrig off before I enter a station, and truns back on after I leave.

Bruce
Old 08-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have no problems with running the propane while underway. Also I have used the inverter to run the refrigerator on AC during short trips. I wonder how long the batteries would last using the inverter to power the refrigerator. Do you have any idea?
BradandJanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The batteries would last indefinetly as long as your underway. The generator is charging them. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
The batteries would last indefinetly as long as your underway. The generator is charging them. Good Miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim - are you saying that the engine alternator is charging the house batteries?

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I also leave the propane on for the season. The only time it gets turned off is when we are getting the propane tank filled.

On my HR Endeavor(gas), the documentation said the alternator would charge the house batteries when the engine battery was fully charged. I have no idea if it really did or if it is supposed to on our MADP.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

John,

Forgive me for answering for Jim, but yes, the engine alternator is the only thing that charges both banks. With the engine running and gennie off, display chassis and house voltages. You should see the charging voltage on both.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I guess I'm the odd duck of the bunch that prefers to have the LP off while on the road. I'm slightly concerned that an accident or even road debris could cut an LP line. I know that a large volume leak is supposed to be detected and the LP automatically shut off, but all you have to do is read this forum to find many examples of things that don't always work as designed. I'm not a fanatic about it, I just prefer to have the LP turned off at the tank when traveling.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

we always ran our fridge on electric while underway and the battery was caonstantly recharged by the tow unit this can be done very simply with the addition of another of another wire although you may have to change conecters if you are using a flat four plug

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:57 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

NO you aren't. My DW refuses to let me drive with propane on. In the fall of 2003 I sent a note to Dometic asking about the fridge and using propane when driving (had a Dometic in our gasser then) and got this reply:

"The refrigerator is okay to operate on LP while driving as the the refrigerator has plenty of fail safety devices so travel is not a problem.
Please be sure to read the owner's manual regarding LP operation. Running on LP while fueling the motorhome is not recommended.

Each person is responsible for the state laws that you are traveling in regarding the propane usage while in transit.

Customer Support Center"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomsm:
I guess I'm the odd duck of the bunch that prefers to have the LP off while on the road. I'm slightly concerned that an accident or even road debris could cut an LP line. I know that a large volume leak is supposed to be detected and the LP automatically shut off, but all you have to do is read this forum to find many examples of things that don't always work as designed. I'm not a fanatic about it, I just prefer to have the LP turned off at the tank when traveling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #14

....why take a chance on screwing up your camping trip?....use the generator or invertor while underway.....geofkaye
Old 08-28-2005, 05:37 PM   #15
Red
Winnebago Camper

This is one of the oldest debates going. It started well before the "Wallydocking" debate.
In 33 yrs. of RV travel I have ALWAYS used the LP while traveling and have never encountered a
problem. Since I have a diesel unit I don't worry about refueling either except if I am next to the gas pumps. I have no gripe with those who prefer not to travel with the LP on. It's your choice.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Count me as an Odd Duck too. I have never traveled with the LP on. I see that most of the responders have MHs, I have a TT. My fridge is chilled prior to travel and the food is cold when I put it in. I have traveled in 90 degree heat with no problems. The fridge has enought insulation to keep things cool for hours. As long as you don't open it up for any length of time.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

The propane dealers ***'n and the Insurance companies universally recommend turning the propane OFF while travelling. Of course, they are acting in their own interest, without regard for the convenience of the MoHo user.

I am acting in my own interest and, as a retired Maintenance Engineer, I am an absolute believer in Murphy's Law. I know about the safety cutoff for excess flow, and know that they are a simple mechanical device, which does not cut off all flow rates. A leak the size of the combined flow of all the gas uses on the coach, can make a helluva fire, and would not trigger the cutoff valve.
I looked at my LP tank and the connecting piping, it's exposure to road edge debris, and to a possible blowout of my right rear tire. I didn't like the risk level, for the minor inconvenience shutting off the valve during my final walk-around inspection. Or for my wife's inconvenience of moving a couple of bottles of frozen water from the freezer to the fridge.
We always run with the Propane SHUT OFF. We have thermometers in both sections of the fridge and have never had temps outside the safe range even after the occasional 12 hour day.

Cisco and Pancho,
DickNJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:09 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
geofkaye,

To be sure, for most of us with MH the fridge will only run on AC with the generator or shore power. In Winnies, that AC plug is not one that is powered by the inverter.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:46 PM   #19

....I really hate stopping and putting out the fire in your trailer-which I will do.....the thing that makes me really leary of doing it again-your insurance company will refuse to pay to have my 20# dry chem refilled at $58.00.....would you mind if I use pressurized water and just soak you things?....water is free and the extinguishers are pressurized with compressed air.....geofkaye
Old 08-31-2005, 05:02 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

The only time we shut off the propane is to re fill it. I am not running my genny to keep it chilled. The great debate rages on.

Kaye do you travel with propane on in your MH??