Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2005, 08:15 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vicsryd:
geofkaye,

To be sure, for most of us with MH the fridge will only run on AC with the generator or shore power. In Winnies, that AC plug is not one that is powered by the inverter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have run my fridge from the inverter a few times when not running the gen. Just not too often because it can really drain the batteries.

When hooked to 30amp, I frequently run my fridge on LP so I can run both compressors on the air conditioning and still use the micowave, hair dryer, etc.

If you set the fridge mode to AUto, it will automatically switch to a/c when hooked to power or running the gen, then automatically switch to LP if there is no shore/gen power.

But if you put the mode in LP, it will run while hooked to power.

I always turn the fridge off when fueling, though.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:19 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The propane dealers .....universally recommend turning the propane OFF while travelling.
DickNJo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not true. The insurance companies do so reccomend, but the propane industry will in most cases tell you that it is OK. It is less a risk for a motorhome than for a trailer with removable bottels because the safety requirements for fixed porpane tanks are much higher due to the fact that the standard for them is based upon their being used as motor vehicle fuel and thus in use while traveling. But if you think the dealers say not to use it while traveling, ask a few, because most will tell you that it is safe. Motorized vehicles with fixed tanks have had the 80% shut off valve and the "stop flow" valve that closes if a line should rupture for more than 30 years.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:34 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

You are not an odd duck for turning off your propane while travelling, you are simply doing what makes your travelling comfortable. No harm in that.
jcarew is offline   Reply With Quote