Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am having trouble with my propane system. Not sure what's going on. I haven't dug into it much yet, but have a theory, and wanted an opinion.

Since we are in one spot for the winter, I took one of the parks 100lb tanks (they sell them at cost, which is much cheaper than by the gallon).
So I hooked it up to the extend-a-stay fitting I installed a couple months ago.

The Problem... Last week I noticed the furnace would cut in and cut out. When I started to diagnose the cold air coming out, it came back on and all seemed well. I wrote it off that the wind probably blew it out... since it was quite breezy that day...

Then today, I was cooking. I made some sauce that had to simmer for quite a while, also while boiling a pot of water for pasta, and then I lost all gas.

10 mins later I tried it again and the gass was back but only lasted a few mins.

Do you think this is my regulator going bad? I hate to have to call a service guy for something I could change.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am having trouble with my propane system. Not sure what's going on. I haven't dug into it much yet, but have a theory, and wanted an opinion.

Since we are in one spot for the winter, I took one of the parks 100lb tanks (they sell them at cost, which is much cheaper than by the gallon).
So I hooked it up to the extend-a-stay fitting I installed a couple months ago.

The Problem... Last week I noticed the furnace would cut in and cut out. When I started to diagnose the cold air coming out, it came back on and all seemed well. I wrote it off that the wind probably blew it out... since it was quite breezy that day...

Then today, I was cooking. I made some sauce that had to simmer for quite a while, also while boiling a pot of water for pasta, and then I lost all gas.

10 mins later I tried it again and the gass was back but only lasted a few mins.

Do you think this is my regulator going bad? I hate to have to call a service guy for something I could change.

John

Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Almost sounds like it's iceing up..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It could be some debris got into the system from the 100# bottle. What happens if you switch back to your main tank, that would be a good way to verify whether or not it is the regulator.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I your 100# tank is completely full you may be getting liquid propane into your regulator.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

John, if the 100 lb cylinder looks brand new. It could be ice because most people go get a "real good deal" on a new tank and then take it to a propane distributor to get it filled. These tanks are rarely purged as they are suppose to be and this results in moisture within the tank.

Just take the tank to the propane distributor and tell them you suspect ice. They probably have an alcohol injector for solving this problem.

I had this problem with my former MH and a shot (pint) of alcohol cured the problem. This was on my MH main tank.

http://energy.growmark.com/propane/Chapter4.html
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys.

I haven't had time to dig into it yet... But I do thank you for the ideas.

To me it does seem like Ice, but it isn't a new tank, it is well used. I don't think its a purge issue. The good deal was on the propane, it was their "Summer" rate. Which again makes me wonder if the tank just isn't freezing up with high draw.

I need to disconnect the tank and run the MH tank to see if I have the same problem. I'll update you as I find it. I Thanks for the link!

John

Old 12-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

John,
If the 100# cylinder is iceing up it will have a definite frost line visible on the outside of the tank. I am inclined to suspect the regulator and trash in it. If you feel competent disassemble the regulator and clean it, particularly the orifice. Don't lose the spring inside. Also, while inside check the pivot points for flexibility.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I have yet to find anything definitive. I switched over to the main tank, and it worked fine, then switched back, and it was OK. I am guessing there was just some trash in the regulator, or the regulator iced up. So far so good right now.

Thanks again,

John