Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2008, 04:28 AM   #21

Mr. Transistor, that looks GREAT!!! I'm interested in doing the same thing!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

The Warm Window ( http://www.warmcompany.com/index.html ) can be purchased at JoAnn fabric and gift stores and comes in either the cream color or white. I found the snaps at a Tandy leather goods store. I purchased a small semi-industrial sewing machine for around $500 that I keep in the RV for just such occasions. I've also made thermal bags to keep drinks cold, carry groceries home in and keep frozen food frozen when I defrost the freezer.

The snaps are attached to the front trim with 1/8" pop rivets and washers on the back side. I seem to remember having to trim the head of the rivet to a smaller diameter to fit inside the snap. The holes for the snaps were made in the Warm Window using a hot soldering iron tip to melt the hole.

The bedroom windows, bathroom window, shower skylight and FanTastic fan opening all have these custom covers. I believe the Warm Window material is stated as being 80% efficient so two layers should be 80% of 80% or 96% efficient. Perhaps someone in HVAC can tell us what the R value would be? Per the web site, it should be around R13 for two layers. Pretty good, huh.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

MR TRANSITOR: Thanks so much for the information and even the tips for putting it all together. Great idea and looks good. Happy RVing to you.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #24

Found something interesting looking through the Operator Manual for my MH; under 'specifications' it lists the propane tank size at 18 gallons. It then lists it as 23 gallons w.c. (Water Capacity) So my tank size is actually 23 gallons; for propane purposes, only 80% is usable since 20% of the tank volume needs to allow for expansion and proper vaporization.

The tank is still too small for my preferences, but now I know that I should have 18 gallons of propane when 'full', not the 14.4 gallons I thought the actual capacity would be...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Richard,

Check the placard on the tank. I think the 23 gal w.c. maybe a miss print in the catologue. I have run my tank dry and when filled it only took 13.6 gallons. According to the specs all Sightseers have the same size LP tank. I will have to check my manual when I get my RV back. It is currently in the shop having the Kelderman Airide installed. I can not wait to try it out when finished.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XBoater:
Richard,

Check the placard on the tank. I think the 23 gal w.c. maybe a miss print in the catologue. I have run my tank dry and when filled it only took 13.6 gallons. According to the specs all Sightseers have the same size LP tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew it seemed too good to be true! My manual shows it at 18 gallons / 23 gallons water capacity. I'll check the actual propane tank next time at storage... what ever the tank states, will it be listed as gallons @ 80% or the larger water capacity? My manual does show all 2005 Sightseer models with the same 18 gallon tank but the 2005 brochure states it differently.

Checking the 2008 specifications, it shows Sightseers with the same 18 gallon tank, but then notes "Capacities shown are tank manufacturer's listed water capacity (W.C.). Actual filled LP capacity is 80% of listing due to overfilling prevention device on tank."

Looks like a typo back in 2005 in the owner's manual; I'm back to 14.4 gallons of usable propane.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I think the operator filling the tank also makes a difference. When filling it appears that they until the gas comes out the overflow valve which appears to be at about 80% of the way up the tank. I have had some close the fill valve at the first sign and I have had some take their time when the gas seems to be coming out the overflow, close the overflow and then get around to closing of the fill valve.

I know that portable tanks now have internal valving that closes of the fill valve no matter how long the hose is left on trying to pump in. Do the tanks on our RV's have this internal feature ?
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #28

Finally filled up that propane tank that was empty, empty, empty... tank size is 18 gallons with 14.4 useable gallons. Took exactly 10 gallons to fill it. (Vapor from the relief valve.) Actually, what is the valve called where the vapor comes out when 80% is filled?