Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
rca
Winnebago Camper

While doing an oil change / chassis lube I noticed the 1/4 inch formed steel bracket that the propane tank is bolted to was broken along the full length of the front weld, leaving only the rear weld holding the tank on.
Had I not noticed this, I'm sure the swinging of the tank on the one weld would have resulted in failure and some horrible consequences when the tank broke loose from the chassis at highway speeds!
My MH is a 02 Brave 34D on a Jan. 02 production WH chassis. The MH has been in use for exactly two years.
Looking at the break, you can see that it started long ago because all but the bottom 1/2" of the break is rusty. This area is well hidden, right behind the propane tank so You need to crawl under the tank with a work light and look up at the two piece bracket assembly that is welded to the side of the frame rail.
I think it's worth the effort to look at yours.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
rca
Winnebago Camper

While doing an oil change / chassis lube I noticed the 1/4 inch formed steel bracket that the propane tank is bolted to was broken along the full length of the front weld, leaving only the rear weld holding the tank on.
Had I not noticed this, I'm sure the swinging of the tank on the one weld would have resulted in failure and some horrible consequences when the tank broke loose from the chassis at highway speeds!
My MH is a 02 Brave 34D on a Jan. 02 production WH chassis. The MH has been in use for exactly two years.
Looking at the break, you can see that it started long ago because all but the bottom 1/2" of the break is rusty. This area is well hidden, right behind the propane tank so You need to crawl under the tank with a work light and look up at the two piece bracket assembly that is welded to the side of the frame rail.
I think it's worth the effort to look at yours.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There is a recall for this problem. Contact Winnie or your dealer snd see if you are covered. TGhey are replacing the brackets with straps and if the tank is leaking they will replace that also...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
rca
Winnebago Camper

Thanks ichn2go. Do you know how the strap fix is done? I didn't hear about that when I spoke to my dealer who said there was a Journey issue they were aware of but it didn't affect the Brave.
He called Winnie on my behalf and they agreed to cover the repair and I agreed to get it done locally to reduce the travel distance while in the broken condition.
The tank needs to be removed to re-weld the brackets.
No damage to the tank or connections. The tank is just swinging side to side on the remaining welded connection.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't recall how they are fastened to the frame but they do go all the way around the tank. Have your dealer check the tank itself as my tank had to be replaced too. A friend of mine has a 2000 Horizon DL and his tank was replaced also...Its a Winnie problem with all tanks installed within a certain time frame and not indicative of any one model. They will stand behind it and fix it . the tank has to be shipped motor freight as its too big for UPS. Good Luck,,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure of all the units the recall effected, but our's was one of them. Where the brackets are welded to the tank, the tank had no reinforcement. Hence, the tank could literally tear itself from the bracket. The mounting to the chassis was solid. Wait till you see the repair! The repair appears to present itself much stronger and safer. It only took about an hour for the fix.
You'll be surprised to see how much beefier the mounting and straps are... and that's a good thing!
Tagalong
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi all.

We have a 03 Itasca Suncruiser 33V and on our trip a couple weeks ago we had a problem where the mounting bracked weld developed a small hole on the top of the tank and you could hear and smell propane leaking out!! We called Winnie and was told this was not covered under any recall. They only knew of the diesel strap recall, but nothing with the gas MH's. We were given suggestions from don't drive until the tank is purged to just put duct tape over the hole.
We finally stopped on the side of the road and spent 4 hours draining the tank using the small fill overflow valve. Just dumped about 20 gallons.
From what I have read here, it sounds like the broken weld on the tank was fixed by rewelding the hole and attaching straps to hold the tank in place. As it is now, the tank wobbles on the brackets.
Does anyone have any other experience or contacts at Winnie?
thanks.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

If you look at your LP tank, you'll see a metal label that is welded to the tank. On it you'll see the tank manufacturers name. Probably Manchester Tank. Here's a link to their web site and phone numbers.

http://www.mantank.com/contact.htm
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

misjcy, I believe ichn2go (above) has the right answers here. I did a search and cannot find the true Winnie recall reference number; -but I also seem to recall it was on gas as well as diesel chassies. I've asked DriVer to help us.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

thanks all for your responses.
We did call Winnie and they looked up our VIN numbers and said we were not covered. But since this problem is exactly what the others have had, I hope we don't need to do too much arm twisting to get them to cover this as well.
I'll wait for DriVer to respond.
Take care, Jim
Old 08-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

I have a piece of correspondence in at Winnebago Industries about this issue and I am awaiting a response.

Thank you for you patience.

Being on the road full time doesn't give all the time I need to follow up on all these issues. Thanks for sending me a "Private Message" to look into this matter.

Greetings from downtown "Las Vegas"
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by misjcy:
I'll wait for DriVer to respond. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, I am in receipt of an e-mail directed to me concerning this case from the National Service Manger for Winnebago Industries. He attempted to send you and e-mail in the hopes to resolve this issue however his e-mail was returned as undeliverable. Please verify your e-mail address I can proceed no further.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hi there.
I'm sorry for the delay in responding.
I did update my e-mail and my profile has the most recient.
We have been in contace with Winnie in the past few days and things are looking promising.
I'll post the results when all is over and done.
Thanks, jim
Old 08-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I'm just back from Alaska and had the same propane bracket fracture about 2 inches in front of the front weld on my 2002 Brave 34D. A welding shop added a brace that covered the break and its now stable. I would like the name and number of the person at Winnebago that you are dealing with as this is a case of metal failure that should not have happened. I will be fileing a report with the NTSB as this is a major safety issue that Winneabgo needs to address before someone gets hurt when their 28 gal. propane tank tears off while driving down the road.

Mike
2002 Winne Brave 34D (W20/8.1/Allison)
ByteXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2002 Brave 34D and will be checking my propane tank this weeekend. Thanks for the heads up and if anyone hears from Winnebago please post. Would like to know if they are going to do some kind of recall because this should be considered a major safety problem.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ByteXman:
I'm just back from Alaska and had the same propane bracket fracture about 2 inches in front of the front weld on my 2002 Brave 34D. A welding shop added a brace that covered the break and its now stable. I would like the name and number of the person at Winnebago that you are dealing with as this is a case of metal failure that should not have happened. I will be fileing a report with the NTSB as this is a major safety issue that Winneabgo needs to address before someone gets hurt when their 28 gal. propane tank tears off while driving down the road.

Mike
2002 Winne Brave 34D (W20/8.1/Allison) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote