Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Location: Columbia SC on our way to Sweet Home Oregon ETA 25 Sept 08
I purchased a Stay A While Deluxe at Camping World that doesn't work on my Adventurer 33V. This is a product that allows us to plug a regular BBQ propane tank into our RV propane system. The advantage is you don't have to drive to a dealer for more propane when empty. We will be living in Condo on Wheels (RV) during construction and unhooking everything and going for a drive will be a hassle. Anyway, I've used these adaptors before on our Class C and no problems. Now, we get a little bit of gas for a minute or two and then it just shuts down. CW took of the original one and replaced it. Same thing. CW called the manufacturer Mr. Heater and they were instructed to turn on the gas slowly. The tech said "I know that" The second unit didn't work either and the tech didn't want to take the time to try a third. These units, part number F273734 came from two different stores so it isn't like this CW got a bad lot. Just wrote Mr. Heater about this but am thinking folks on this great website might know. I'm hoping that once we get to Oregon I can find a propane truck to come out and fill my tank when needed.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I purchased a Stay A While Deluxe at Camping World that doesn't work on my Adventurer 33V. This is a product that allows us to plug a regular BBQ propane tank into our RV propane system. The advantage is you don't have to drive to a dealer for more propane when empty. We will be living in Condo on Wheels (RV) during construction and unhooking everything and going for a drive will be a hassle. Anyway, I've used these adaptors before on our Class C and no problems. Now, we get a little bit of gas for a minute or two and then it just shuts down. CW took of the original one and replaced it. Same thing. CW called the manufacturer Mr. Heater and they were instructed to turn on the gas slowly. The tech said "I know that" The second unit didn't work either and the tech didn't want to take the time to try a third. These units, part number F273734 came from two different stores so it isn't like this CW got a bad lot. Just wrote Mr. Heater about this but am thinking folks on this great website might know. I'm hoping that once we get to Oregon I can find a propane truck to come out and fill my tank when needed.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

All the newer propane hose fittings and adaptors have check valves and "too much flow" valves in them-- A system just to hook up your grill to a large tank might have three (and there is one in the new style tank as well---

So-------------- As suggested you can usually coax them into operating by letting the pressure and flow build up slowly--

I know of instances where a drill and/or some needle nosed pliers (or a schraeder valve removal tool) have been used to address the problem but of course would never recommend that approach. However, if I were going to research it for experimental purposes only, I would look carefully at the hose fittings and the external tank valve-- I would NOT be considering modifying the adaptor that remains attached to an RV tank--

ReM

edited for spelling
Dick Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dick! The CW RV Tech did his best to Coax it but that didn't work. I'm thinking our Winnebago "Too much Flow" valves work too well and that is the problem. Really all I want now is a refund from Mr. Heater for the part and the two hours labor CW Charged. Wish me luck on that quest......Sounds like a consumer issue to me. You might see this in MH Mag or HigwaysAS for modifications. Nope, not gonna do that. The part doesn't work - give me back my money! LP is scary. I always turn mine off when traveling and even bleed the lines by running the range gas dry with flame on until it burns out. I stand right there and when it burns off in about 60 seconds I turn off the range valves. Our NorCold Fridge will keep things cold for about 6 hours and it is rare that we travel longer than that. If we are going to have a long day I'll usually pull into a rest stop for a long lunch and a nap. During that time I'll run the Gen or turn on the LP for the Fridge putting my keys on the stove so I remember to turn off the LP :-) Thanks again for your post on this.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The valve on the DOT bottle could be the problem. Have you tried another bottle? Sometime the valve gets stuck and I have had to bump them on the ground to get it to fall back into normal position. I prefer Marshall Brass brand Extend-A-Stay Plus to any other "T" for this need.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Mike, this "Stay A While" valve adapter (was) mounted onto the non-removable Motor Home RV Chasis tank. So, no DOT bottle valve to check. Well, I guess there is one on the tank but it works fine when this Stay A While Valve is removed.

Thanks for your post on this!

MarcO
Old 07-12-2008, 02:32 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I can't add anything except to say that mine worke fine on an 08 Sighseer so I don't think it is Winnie's design since I expect they would be the same in principle.
This assumes CW installed it correct...I did my own install...its easy.
Maybe ask this on the Technical section of the other forum since there are a lot of Stay Awhile users there and I don't think it is a WInnie issue. Good luck...let us know the fianl outcome.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

MarcO, I now realize you cannot get gas flow out of the ASME tank and not a DOT bottle that you can hook up to it. Have you taken the Stay A While tee off and tried the system again? IF you do not get any gas flow then it is not the T but an issue in the rest of the system. Be sure lp leak detector is turned on; some control a safety valve that will shut off the gas flow. IF you do get gas flow then it definitely the Stay A While T.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Count me in the "no check valve" crowd.

Mine worked like yours did when I first tried it, just a little spurt, then nothing.

I may have been a little agressive in removing the check ball, I didn't really try anything else. It works fine so far without it. I did save the parts, figured I'd eventually figure out what the real purpose was, and how to make it work as designed.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The purpose of the check valve is to prevent gas flowing from the on-board tank thru the "T" backwards. Maybe it was installed backwards.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem. The recommendation in Dick's post is correct. The turn it on slow did not work. Removal of the overly sensitive check valve solved the problem. All works great now.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Gary! Yeap, sounds like the check valve is the problem. I understand too why it is there in the first place. So did you take the check valve out or modify it in some way? Working with manuf (have two calls into them) for a refund to include two hours of labor at Camping World.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

MarcO,
I removed the check valve.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

There is a check valve in there you say? Why I have indeed not seen one, and in fact reached in with a long pair of pliers to see and only removed small metal parts. Where is this check valve of which you speak?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Jeff,
The small metal parts may have been the check valve. The new tanks and cables contain several devices for keeping us from harm. As posted by Dick Morse, the new tanks and air lines all contain a valve of some kind that shuts the propane off when it sees too much propane flowing (a leak?). If one purchased a new tank and new lines, each component will have this valve. For me that is too many restrictions.

In my case the furnace would never stay on because it called for too much propane and the valve(s) closed down. The fridge and hot water heater worked okay. I took the hose and removed all the small parts that made up the restriction. Then reassembled everything and all has worked well since.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
The small metal parts may have been the check valve. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oops..!

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Hey guys......I had all the above. Problem is......don't use the "throw away cyl fitting" to try to put gas back into the system. It's for taking gas "out" of the system! The safety valves do not work in reverse! Use the 1/4 in fitting to put gas in from an axillary tank. Then it will work! After 3 phone calls to Tech support!! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

If camping world sold you a product and tried to install it on your rig and it did not work, Why did you pay them 2 hours labor?