Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane leak

I have a propane leak in a 1999 Winnebago Vectra Grand tour. I used 20 gal. of propane in a week, with no oder anywhere. The tank is super rusty on the outside. I cannot find the leak and suspect it is from the rusty tank. Has anyone replaced the horizonal tank with two 10 gal stand up tanks? The price is about 1/3 with all the parts, plus I cannot find a new tank. Any ideas?
Thanks, Cork
Wetsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetsnail View Post
I have a propane leak in a 1999 Winnebago Vectra Grand tour. I used 20 gal. of propane in a week, with no oder anywhere. The tank is super rusty on the outside. I cannot find the leak and suspect it is from the rusty tank. Has anyone replaced the horizonal tank with two 10 gal stand up tanks? The price is about 1/3 with all the parts, plus I cannot find a new tank. Any ideas?
Thanks, Cork
Before throwing money at the problem, confirm you have a problem. Spray a soapy water solution all over the tank and fittings to locate any leaks; Or have a propane retail store run a pressure test on your entire LP system to determine if you indeed have a leak.
Propane is heavier than air, a leaking line under the RV may not be detected by smell. A hydrocarbon "sniffer" may not find a small leak because it must be within its range of detection to sound the alarm.

There is a difference between a DOT LP cylinder and a ASTM LP tank. They each have different requirements and specifications. http://www.missiongas.com/lpgascylinders.htm

Two 10G cylinders must be removed to be re-filled if the supplier follows the law. That means you will be handling them when full, and placing them where the ASTM tank was removed.
New ASTM tanks are made every day, finding one to match yours may pose a problem, but they may be custom-made. Another source is MH surplus and salvage yards. RV Salvage & Surplus Yards - used RV Parts
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Us and our freinds, 1ciderdog, on the forum, have the identical motorhomes and both our tanks sprang leaks where the mounting brackets were welded on to the tank. They hang from the frame rail and the welds were a weak point. Bob was in Forest City and W. replaced his tank. I am in CA, so I ordered a replacement from Litchsinn RV in Forest City and they shipped one out to me. I would check with them, they are very good at finding parts.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #4

What kind of propane usage did you do during that week.........fridge on propane, water heater on propane, run furnace, stove top/oven cooking???

Where were you during that week......cold weather?

10 gallons propane....40# cylinder.
They weigh 29# Empty and almost 70# FULL and are almost 3' tall

Plus they have to be mounted/secured vertically.

Unless you are considering Horizontal Cylinders.......just have to be sure they are vapor draw and not liquid draw

Replacing your current TANK with another Tank is best all around .......check with Manchester Propane or contact Winnebago for source of tank
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There was a recall to change the propane tank mounting bracket on my 2000 Itasca Horizon due to leaks at the mounting bracket weld. The replacement bracket is not welded to the tank. I'd check for a recall on your unit.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

bsamole do you remember who had the recall? Was it the tank mfg. or Winnebago, or other? Thanks, Cork
Old 01-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

A call to Winnebago customer service should be able to find out about the propane tank recall. I believe it was Winnebago.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago had the recall.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for your reply. I think am going to bite the bullet and replace the tank. I certainly will contact Winn about thr recall. Thank you very much for that info. Cork
Old 01-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Wetsnail: Here is the link to the Winnebago recall on my 2000 Horizon. NHTSA Campaign number 04V114000

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=04V114000
Old 01-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I had the recall installed on our rig soon after it was new.

The retrofit consisted of two large metal bands that circle the tank ... the bands are fastened to the frame ... the original brackets are still there but there is no stress or load on them.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I had a leak from my propane tank's regulator. I went through a tank of propane in one week in July 2 years ago. We only used the propane for the stove and oven. The regulator is easy to replace.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Is there any way to pressure test the tank without filling it with propane? I would like to confirm that it is in fact the tank that is leaking, not my regulator or other part. My Winn is not part of the tank recall. Thanks for all of your help. Cork
Old 02-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetsnail View Post
Is there any way to pressure test the tank without filling it with propane? I would like to confirm that it is in fact the tank that is leaking, not my regulator or other part. My Winn is not part of the tank recall. Thanks for all of your help. Cork
Take it to a bulk propane dealer and have them test the tank/components/system for leaks.

It's part of what they do ....they have the equipment/skill/know how

Otherwise.....you will need some propane in tank i order to have pressure in order to search for any leaks.
Then you would need to isolate tank........and start spraying in down in sections looking for evidence of leak(s), All components, all welded areas etc until you have completely gone over the entire surface of tank.

Then you would need to.............

Take it to a propane dealer and have them check it out!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I would do what Ray,IN suggested and spray soapy water and determine the location of the leak. If the leak is at the weld for the mounting bracket post the tank info and I'll see if my recalled tank is the same model. If it is the same perhaps Winnebago will replace the tank and retro fit the two metal bands.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #16

My Magic Chef propane stove leaks when I use the oven. It works fine when I use the stove top, but when I'm baking, I sometimes smell propane inside the RV. I hear a poof while baking and I assume it is when the temp. falls bellow the setting. Is this normal? Is there a pilot light for the whole appliance? I know I have to light the pilot light when using the oven and it seems to work ok. Thanks.
gypsyduo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, propane