Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

propane fill

went to fill our propane tank this morn . couldnt get it to fill . would not take propane. any possibilities? any help you can give . the panel says half full.
harvrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Most tanks have a guage on the tank itself. What does it show.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

really not sure how to read it . allways use panel
harvrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvrk
went to fill our propane tank this morn . couldnt get it to fill . would not take propane. any possibilities? any help you can give . the panel says half full.
When that happened to me it turned out that the tank was full, the gauge was broken.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Same thing happened on our new coach. Tried to fill it and no go. Turned out to be the gauge / transmitter on the tank. Easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
When that happened to me it turned out that the tank was full, the gauge was broken.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvrk View Post
To fill an ASME (permanently mounted) propane tank a couple of things have to happen:
1. The pump pressure has to be greater than the pressure inside the tank
2. The OPD (Overfill Protection Device) has to open to allow the KP to flow into the tank.

The OPD is constructed similar the floating ball in the water tank of a WC....as the liquid level rises a valve is shut off.......that's what prevents WC water from overflowing onto the floor and what also prevents a propane tank from being over filled. Should the liquid level inside the tank cause the OPD to close like, maybe, having the tank off level during filling LP will not flow into the tank.
As far as your panel gauge reporting is concerned the panel is notoriously inaccurate.
There is a round gauge on the tank with a single wire attached to it. The plastic the wire attaches to is the gauge. Look at the visible white gauge face that will have black markings indicating liquid level and the red pointer that you can see the tip of. Approx. 3/4 on the gauge is full.
Hope this helps you understand what may be happening.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
To fill an ASME (permanently mounted) propane tank a couple of things have to happen:
2. The OPD (Overfill Protection Device) has to open to allow the KP to flow into the tank.

The OPD is constructed similar the floating ball in the water tank of a WC....as the liquid level rises a valve is shut off.......that's what prevents WC water from overflowing onto the floor and what also prevents a propane tank from being over filled. Should the liquid level inside the tank cause the OPD to close like, maybe, having the tank off level during filling LP will not flow into the tank.
As far as your panel gauge reporting is concerned the panel is notoriously inaccurate.
There is a round gauge on the tank with a single wire attached to it. The plastic the wire attaches to is the gauge. Look at the visible white gauge face that will have black markings indicating liquid level and the red pointer that you can see the tip of. Approx. 3/4 on the gauge is full.
Good stuff, but what does KP and WC stand for?? You explained the OPD but not the other two. Been full-timing since 2005, always fun to see someone use acronyms and/or abbreviations that they thing EVERYONE know about, like the Newmar folks, DP (diesel pusher) would be enough, but putting the DS (DutchStar) in front is kinda "look at me" IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

Just a thought, in my humble opinion, jeez, that weren't too hard
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Good stuff, but what does KP and WC stand for?? You explained the OPD but not the other two. Been full-timing since 2005, always fun to see someone use acronyms and/or abbreviations that they thing EVERYONE know about, like the Newmar folks, DP (diesel pusher) would be enough, but putting the DS (DutchStar) in front is kinda "look at me" IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

Just a thought, in my humble opinion, jeez, that weren't too hard
KP is my typo........I meant LP as in Liquefied Petroleum or more commonly known as Propane.
WC is a standard abbreviation for water closet or also known as toilet
Old 11-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Two thoughts.. When it happened to me the tank was near empty (in fact I had to hook up the "External" Tank before that trip ended)

The problem was when the "Pump jockey" pulled the hose out of the cabinet he snagged a cable.. The EMERGENCY SHUT OFF and closed the valve.. So it was not my tank, it was his pump..

And as others have said, The panel is .. Not always accurate.. now normally i'd tell you that fuel guages are the least reliable guages made. however the one that is actually ON THE TANK.. Tends to be accurate.. Where does the needle point, Just over 3/4.. that's full. (IF you can tell the difference between 3/4 and full your eyes are better than mine, 3/4 is 75%,,, Full is 80%)
Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I would check and make sure the flat o-ring is in the fill valve. They sometimes will pop out when fill hose is removed. Without the tank can't be filled.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

I don't think motor home propane tanks have an OPD, only a check valve and vent valve. It is filled until liquid comes out the vent valve.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Had a similar problem with my Class C. There is a "ball" in the fill neck that was sticking. Most RV fill places were able to overcome the problem by moving around and disconnecting/reconnecting the fill hose. Hopefully you can go somewhere else that has had the problem before, sure would hate to hear that you had to have the tank dismounted and repaired.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
...WC is a standard abbreviation for water closet or also known as toilet
FWIW In the propane world, like this thread is, WC means Water Column the standard measure of pressure for regulated pressure LP.

WC, in the context used, was clear to be Water Closet though.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I don't think motor home propane tanks have an OPD, only a check valve and vent valve. It is filled until liquid comes out the vent valve.
If you have a triangular valve knob you HAVE an OPD. A round knob does NOT have an OPD.

By fed law any non-attached and DOT 4lb to 40lb LP tank MUST have an OPD after some date back in the 90's if I recall. I think you'll find most newer RV tanks also have them (RVIA requirement??? not a fed requirement due to horizontal tank mounting???) regardless of size as an additional safety device both on fill and on discharge.

The OPD works as a safety valve in BOTH flow directions. The OPD is set to about 80% of total tank capacity thus allowing for safe thermal expansion of the gas in the tank. The OPD (Overfill Protection Device) is a float inside the tank the shuts off the fill port after it trips at 80%.

Some fillers today will open the bleed valve - completely unnecessary today (OPD equipped tanks) unless the tank was nearly totally emptied - where you will see vapor emerge. This gives the appearance of the pre-OPD days where that is how tanks were frequently filled when a lazy gas jockey didn't want bother to use the proper method of weight. Now the lazy gas jockey only needs to fill until the OPD shuts off the flow.

OPD valve
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Please note, the reason Propane tanks are "FULL" at 80% is there needs to be space for the Liquid Propane to conver to a gas, as your applicances burn "GAS". The comment of filling until liquid is coming out the vent is WRONG!!!
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
Please note, the reason Propane tanks are "FULL" at 80% is there needs to be space for the Liquid Propane to conver to a gas, as your applicances burn "GAS". The comment of filling until liquid is coming out the vent is WRONG!!!
Look at page 45 of this Propane Training Document
Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Look at page 45 of this Propane Training Document
Ok I looked at it and it does not say anything to disput what I said in my post. I have worked with Propane for over 40 years before I even thought of owning an RV.

You might take the time to just read page "Seven" of the document you linked to, it says and I quote:

"To allow for this expansion, propane containers are typically filled to only 80% of their capacity."

If you want to understand more about this expansion of Propane, read pages 5 through 7 of your linked document.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
Ok I looked at it and it does not say anything to disput what I said in my post. I have worked with Propane for over 40 years before I even thought of owning an RV.

You might take the time to just read page "Seven" of the document you linked to, it says and I quote:

"To allow for this expansion, propane containers are typically filled to only 80% of their capacity."

If you want to understand more about this expansion of Propane, read pages 5 through 7 of your linked document.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
I'm not disputing anything about the expansion necessary, I'm merely pointing out that the vent valve is to be opened when filled until liquid starts to spew out.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I'm not disputing anything about the expansion necessary, I'm merely pointing out that the vent valve is to be opened when filled until liquid starts to spew out.
I agree. Last time mine was filled that is what they did. Scared the cra* out of me seeing the liquid propane start shooting out instead of just the vapor, which is bad enough, knowing a single spark would turn it into a huge blowtorch. I see why they want everything off, including your reefer which is often the closest flame.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvrk View Post

Make sure they bleed the air out. One place couldn't fill mine and when I filled it at a Flying J the guy said it had a lot of air in it. He said on busses he they have to bleed for about 15 minutes or more to take a charge.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane