Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Our 08 Sightseer 35J has a small propane tank (18 gal). Cold days hit it hard. Somewhere some said this adapter http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunu...D=8148&helpful=1#cr1 works well but some said that it would not fit in the space available.

Has anyone tried this device on a recent Sightseer or shall I be the trail blazer?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Our 08 Sightseer 35J has a small propane tank (18 gal). Cold days hit it hard. Somewhere some said this adapter http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunu...D=8148&helpful=1#cr1 works well but some said that it would not fit in the space available.

Has anyone tried this device on a recent Sightseer or shall I be the trail blazer?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:

Has anyone tried this device on a recent Sightseer or shall I be the trail blazer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have one but agree that Winnebago could have installed a bigger propane tank. Seems like it's always 'low', or at least low enough that I'm always topping off just to be safe.

Also, the adapter allows you to add a camp stove or heater, so hopefully I could add a barbeque, as I really don't like those little cylinders that run halfway through cooking dinner. I say ˜buy one!' and let me know how easy it is to install... also, do you know if a shut-off valve is installed to the tank? I've been meaning to look at my propane tank to see if there are removable plugs...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Have you tried electric heaters?
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi. Yes and we use an oil filled radiator most of the time. The problem is that this method does nothing to keep the tanks and some compartments warm...gotta run the furnace for that. We've had several nights of 17deg and all was well as long as we ran the furnace.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Do your vents in your living space have dampers on them? This might help you conserve as well.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I would be interested in how hard it is to install and how useful it is. So many things I love on my Itasca but the size of the LP tank is not one of them. I wonder if there is an option to change out to a larger tank

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We have a 35J as well.

I wanted to be able to run our BBQ off our LP tank so I installed an adapter, easy to do and plenty of room for one.

First photo of how it looked before:

Second photo with the T installed.

All I did was to pull the grey box off, remove the line and add the T. I then replaced the grey box and used a zip tie to keep it from coming off.

When winter camping we mostly just run two portable ceramic heaters, and use the LP for when the space heaters can't keep up.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Nice Job, Steve! Where did you get the inline "T" for the bbq? I'd love to do just that!

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Y-Guy: that's a neat installation. But, can you tap into a portable propane tank with that? The issue I'm trying to solve is having an external source of propane so I don't have to move the coach when the built-in tank runs low. Steve
Old 01-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
Y-Guy: that's a neat installation. But, can you tap into a portable propane tank with that? The issue I'm trying to solve is having an external source of propane so I don't have to move the coach when the built-in tank runs low. Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the Camping World description:

Connect an auxiliary propane cylinder to RV when onboard supply runs low, plus connect an additional appliance like a grill, heater or camp stove. Supply outlet works with either new or old style thread connections. Includes 12' propane hose, 5' propane pigtail hose and tee.

I'm not familiar with the installation, but I see the t is before the regulator; I assume that your portable propane tank would just be an additional supply and not actually fill the RV tank. I'd like it for a portable barbeque...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

jasonm - I got the adapter at a store here in the Tri-Cities called called Ranch & Home, you can find the same adapter at ACE and probably True Value hardware, I haven't seen anything at Lowes/Home Depot though. I'd suggest ACE though, I got the piece that goes from the adapter to the regulator there as well as some good advice.

Belgique - Yes you can, I considered it but in my case didn't need it so I saved the money. The Extenda Stay T's run $45-50 as I recall. I can't see why one wouldn't fit the same location as the one I installed. Richard is correct they don't fill the tank, just give you another supply. Full timers sometimes have a large tank delivered or others use smaller tanks for short term/emergency use.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Y-Guy! I was concerned that there was not enough room for the installation but your pix show that there should be. Being able to hook up a small (BBQ size) tank when coach tank is low is what I would want to do. I know it doesn't fill the coach tank but at least the coach furnace and stove stove could run off the small tank until I got a coach tank refill. I'll give it a try soon. Steve
Old 01-22-2008, 05:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Y-guy, does your connection have an auto valve in the T fitting that shuts the flow off when the hose is disconnected???

If not, I suggest the Camping World kit. CW is selling the Stay A While Deluxe kit for Club Price $77.99. This is about $50 LESS than anyone else is selling this kit. I purchased mine last summer from CW. They include a 12' hose that is use for a grill, etc. and a 5' hose that is used to feed propane from a tank to the motorhome.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Tom: sometime can you measure how much clearance is needed to install that. The '08 doesn't have much. Thanks for the pictures! Thanks, Steve

On Edit: disregard. I found on the other forum that it is 4". Thanks! Steve
Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Tom - Yes mine has the shut off too, I didn't want to have propane leaking out or to have to shut it off each time I connected.

Belgique - I would get the adapter Tom mentioned, that's a pretty good price. As far as space, you can always rotate it so the adapters are 1 and 4 o'clock.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Tom: sometime can you measure how much clearance is needed to install that. The '08 doesn't have much. Thanks for the pictures! Thanks, Steve

On Edit: disregard. I found on the other forum that it is 4". Thanks! Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I measured mine and the adapter added 4.5 inches to the length.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Steve! Going to Ace today with your picture to see if they can help me out.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I added the Stay-A-While propane tank adapter from Camping World to my 2005 Sightseer 29R. My installation looks a lot like the pictures posted by Tom N. I measured my adapter and it measures 4 5/8 inches installed. I have 4 inches of clearance on the front end which is not photographed. I had to adjust the output line so it didn't hit the forward bulkhead. The line has about ½ inch of clearance now.

I had some problems upon installation. My unit leaked at factory joints after installation. I had to remove it and tighten the factory components to stop the leaks.

The reason for my installation was because of a storm and a power failure that lasted about a week. When I stored my RV I didn't fill the propane tank so when our power failed I drove to all the local fill points to find that they were not operating and I couldn't fill my tank. My 88 year old mother lives with us and she needed heat so I installed a Stay-A-While and I picked up a tank from a local grocery store. It worked great. We were warm and toasty while our power was out.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

The Camping World Extend-A-Stay works great as others have stated. We added one to our coach in October afer arriving in Upstate NY for the winter. We contacted a local propane dealer to get a 100 gallon tank delivered, as the small grill tank only lasted about 2 days before temps fell to the 20s and lower. Also had an 18 foot hose made at a different dealer to enable us to position the 100 gallon tank behind the coach. Don't have pictures, but those posted are great. Make sure to add a brace to the regulator to help stabilize it and prevent road vibrations from breaking the connections while traveling.