Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Problem Removing HWH Solenoid

Hello all. I have a new solenoid (part # RAP90729) to replace one that went bad in an HWH 325 series leveling system in my 2004 Winnebago Brave 32V. I was able to get it out using some channel lock pliers, but the part that screws further into the manifold is still in there. Basically I have the solenoid out with a needle or pin type thing sticking out and the new one has that pin covered by the part that is still in the manifold.

Any advice on how to get the other part out? I tried putting the old one back on at different amoungs of screwed-in and wiggling it but I can't seem to get it to come out. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
rollins215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Manny, I just had the same problem last week. What I did was to spray some penetrating fluid similar to what you use on rusted bolts, etc. into and around part that was stuck and let it soak and repeated it several times. Then I started to pry from either side using a chinese wooden chop stick and wiggle it and spray again. Sooner or later it came free. do not pry or jiggle with a screw driver as the threads are very soft.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hey I got it!

Free Bird, I didn't do your method exactly, but it made me change my thinking on it a bit. You didn't mention putting the old one on and turning and made me re-examine the new one and old one together. That's when I realized that the little stuck piece isn't really threaded into the manifold, just kind of jammed in there. So I put the old one on a few turns and then pulled really hard on it while wiggling and the thing beautifully came out!

I put the new one in and a new fuse and after the pump ran for a second or 2 the jack came down and everything's good again!

This forum rules, without it I have no idea how I could look like a genius in front of my wife as often as I do. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi I am new to this forum butreading your post in search of an answer for my problem lead me to ask you if you have any answer. My front lest slide on my Adventurer 2003 sometime will close and edge back out a few inches. It can work perfectly for weeks than all of sudden I cannot get it to close without it going out again a few inches. And for no reason it will close o.k. I beleive I may have a bad solenoid. And thanks to your post I would now be able to replace it. My question is can anyone direct me as to which one mighy it be and what is the part number and where to by it Thanks for a early reply
Roger & Claudette
2003 Winnebago Adventurer with 2 slides
rogjoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

rogjoan, I don't have any experience with slides but they are similar to jacks...excpet I think there is a different solenoid for both going out and going in. Probably the best place to start is with the service manual for your model of leveling/slide system. I found the one for mine (a 325 series) here:

HWH Service Manuals

Using the manual guided me exactly to the problem, hope that helps you!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If my memory serves me correctly, the extend solenoid keeps the slide in, the retract solenoid keeps the slide out.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Roger, welcome to the forum. Dan is correct. If you extend solenoid is bad or leaking, it will allow the slide to creep out. Look at your manifold with all the solenoids (the smaller diameter solenoids are for the slides). If you have two slides, there should be wires going to the solenoids marked 'Room 1' or 'Room 2.' Room 1 is usually the front slide, room 2 the rear. You can identify which of the solenoids is the extend by looking at the diagram of your manifold in the HWH manual that came with the coach. If you don't have that info, you can download the manual from HWH's website. You can get either new or rebuilt solenoids from HWH or from a company www.RVleveling.com
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Definitely go to rvleveling.com. Chuck helped me out tremendously, had the solenoid I needed in stock as well as great customer service. It is literally an 8 week lead time to get one from HWH, at least for the one I needed anyway.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks So far you have all been very resourcefull. According to the operator manual my model number is 310 series. I have a front double slide and one single one in the bedroom Looking at the operating unit I have 4 solenoids on one side that is the same side as the oil reservoir and 2 smaller one on the other side where the pump motor is located. I gather that one of the smaller one is not operating properly. How do I find out which is which ie the room extension solenoid. Also when I take it out do I need to have the jacks retracted and the slides in or out. Are there any oil pressure in them. Thanks again
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogjoan View Post
Thanks So far you have all been very resourcefull. According to the operator manual my model number is 310 series. I have a front double slide and one single one in the bedroom Looking at the operating unit I have 4 solenoids on one side that is the same side as the oil reservoir and 2 smaller one on the other side where the pump motor is located. I gather that one of the smaller one is not operating properly. How do I find out which is which ie the room extension solenoid. Also when I take it out do I need to have the jacks retracted and the slides in or out. Are there any oil pressure in them. Thanks again
Unless someone here has experience with your particular set up and can tell you, your best bet is to refer to the diagram of your slide/leveling jack pump and manifold in the HWH documentation that came with the coach. That diagram will identify the solenoids for the leveling jacks and the slides and which are extend and contract for the slides. On my coach, the larger diameter solenoids with T handles are for the jacks. The smaller solenoids for the slides have 1/4" bleed valves. Yes, you do need to turn those little valves no more than 4 turns counter clockwise to release the fluid pressure before removing the solenoids.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Update I was able to identify the extend solenoid valve for the front slide by having someone else press the control button and me switching the connectors around. Before that I removed the check valve on the manifold and all seem o.k I replaced it back on. With a pair of visegrip plyers and turning 1/8 turn at a time was able to pull the solenoid out. The local HWH dealer did not have any in stock and recommend an after market model which he said was of better quality and high performance. He even let me borrow an extra long home made soket to put it in. It was a breeze to re-intall less than 5 minutes. Now it works perfect and no longer goes back out. Yes it was a small solenoid with 1/4" bleed valve. Problem solved Thanks again for the help
Clau & Roger
03-Aventurer with Saturn in tow
Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogjoan View Post
Update I was able to identify the extend solenoid valve for the front slide by having someone else press the control button and me switching the connectors around. Before that I removed the check valve on the manifold and all seem o.k I replaced it back on. With a pair of visegrip plyers and turning 1/8 turn at a time was able to pull the solenoid out. The local HWH dealer did not have any in stock and recommend an after market model which he said was of better quality and high performance. He even let me borrow an extra long home made soket to put it in. It was a breeze to re-intall less than 5 minutes. Now it works perfect and no longer goes back out. Yes it was a small solenoid with 1/4" bleed valve. Problem solved Thanks again for the help
Clau & Roger
03-Aventurer with Saturn in tow
who makes this aftermarket solenoid for the hwh system and what is the part number please?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Too eager to install it I completly forgot to look for any marking on it. There was no wrapping or box for it. But I could tell it was brand new and completly diffent from the original one . Its like a cigar shape with the electrical magnet sitting in a sleeve on it. I will try to find out add info on it
Old 08-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

HWH Solenoid: Does anyone have any idea how to, or shematic which shows how to adjust length of solenoid end when the plunger comes out seperate from the solenoid needle? In other words, the proper way to secure it back onto the shaft with enough length to seat the needle in seat.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote