Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Powered Window Shade

Looking for possible causes for why my MCD solar shade rolled up via the switch, but now will not unroll? We haven't had any issues with it before this. I'm assuming the down side of the switch failed. Just checking to see if anyone has experienced this and can offer suggestions. The night shade is working fine.

Thanks in advance!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately, this is kind of common. I had this same issue and decided to try the MCD reprogramming routine but it made no difference. I called MCD and they suggested the motor was shot.

So, I took it to my independent RV repair shop and they fixed it in 20 mins by going through the MCD reprogramming process.

Go figure.

Now it works 40% of the time on the first or second try. And 100% of the time on the 7th or 8th attempt.

I have no idea what the issue is. But on mine it doesn't seem to be the switch.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Due to the RV being later than the 2010 cutoff for getting the good wiring schematics, online info is scarce to missing!
But there are some things we can do to work around that problem, if we get dedicated and bold enough as well as some luck.

Can you get to the back of the switch or are you able to pull it out of the mount? Possibly the whole mount for that group of switches can be pulled out together to get a look at the wiring and switch for some vital info? That's where the luck can come into play as it can be a trick!

I find no good info on what switch this actually might be but did find hints to check.
But part of the hint is from Amazon and in Spanish but with a picture!

When looking at the parts drawing for your RV, I found the pictures below here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Drilling down to the front end wiring and that switch here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2014/183746.htm

It shows the location and then we can turn it over and look at the mounting and pin connection on the back. Those seem to match this switch I found on Amazon with a picture which "seems" to match???

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Carling-.../dp/B017TNZCDK

Click these pics to get a better view to compare and also to read the part number on the drawing of your switch as that is a portion I might trust!

Winnebago part number 174757-11 would seem to be correct but from there we are left to hunt and peck before trusting...

I have found these are often a Carling switch but that only narrows it to a few hundred!

But if you can mange to get the plastic tabs at each end of the switch pressed in to release, the switch may pop out somewhat easy and that can let you look at more info. as there are labels stamped along each wire to ID the "from" and "to" of each wire and that is info you will need to check for the correct battery, ground, etc as you toggle the switch each direction.

To decode the wire ID, check this listing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

I did a search by hitting "ctrl and F" at the same time and typed in "shade" as the search term but that gives me 56 items for a large variety of different windows for you to sort for which window??

There is a chance that you can find the code on the wire and sort that code down to find what each wire does???
But you may also find a Carling model number on the switch which lets you go online to find the specs for that specific switch and that info can let you test the switch. Two ways to go but neither especially easy!!

That's pretty low grade info but if dedicated,you may be able to chase it down to worthwhile finding if the switch needs replaced and where to get the switch?? Several online places offer the switches, once you know which of dozens of types.

Best of luck on the chase!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carling.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	183177   Click image for larger version

Name:	carling1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	183178  

Click image for larger version

Name:	carling 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	183179  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Pretty disappointing to hear that Creativepart. Ours has worked since we bought this MH and was surprised it quit with no warning. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised the way things are these days. I sent an email to MCD tech support to see what they recommend. Probably better to be stuck in the up position instead of down, and not the night shade!

Morich, thanks for the links; very helpful. The diagrams look exactly like my layout. I'm pretty sure I can remove the switch to test it. It should pop right out.

Thanks for the help and I'll follow up with the results!
Old 06-15-2022, 07:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

IF (and a big IF?) you get really lucky, there may alsobe a mini-diagram on the other side of the switch to give a halfway idea of the pins/connections??

But assuming not that lucky, this may be agood place to start on figuring out what each pin does, as they do have drawings info online,if you can sort it down to a specific switch number.

https://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches-l-series
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I would try reprogramming the shade and see if that works. We have issues where the shades lose their programming. MCD says usually caused by low voltage. We will see if it changes when I get around to replacing my original chassis batteries.

Also, try holding the switch for longer than usual.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Got an email with instructions for a reset from MCD. The hardest part was locating the learning switch. I was expecting it to be on the motor end, but found them on the end of a wire shoved down a gap in the windshield trim side cover.

After following the reprogramming instructions it works fine. Hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks for all the info, advice and links! Every bit of it helps learning new things.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Looking for possible causes for why my MCD solar shade rolled up via the switch, but now will not unroll? We haven't had any issues with it before this. I'm assuming the down side of the switch failed. Just checking to see if anyone has experienced this and can offer suggestions. The night shade is working fine.

Thanks in advance!
I have had the same issue. The last time we calibrated the shades I removed the MCD switches. Mine were located on the right end of the shade. I think they were getting pushed by Murphy when I tried to hide them up next to the shade. This would trip the setting up. I have not done much traveling since the last reset and we are not using the shades here. After the reset and the removal of the switches we traveled on some rough roads. Everything stayed good.
The switches simply plug into the connectors on the end of the control wires.

Tags
power, window