Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Power steering fluid leak

Hi all. I have a 2017 Winn Vista 29ve. I recently noticed something wet on the gravel under the front engine. Looks like directly under the power steering cylinder which holds the power steering fluid. I haven't driven the motor home anywhere for 3 months, live in north Georgia. Has anyone had any experience like this. Can power steering fluid freeze causing a leak? Thanks for any responses.
monytaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Power steering leak

Fluid should not freeze. Check the fluid level. Clean the area good and run the engine if no obvious area leaking. Turn the wheel back and forth to create pressure. Turn the engine off and wait to see if any leak can be seen. Usually a pressure hose fitting. Look to see if any clamps can be tightened. The pressure hose is a sealed coupling usually. Good luck Travato John.
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for info. I felt the line directly under the power steering fluid cylinder and it was same substance as is on the gravel below. Guess I need to bring it to the shop. Appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:12 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We bought a 2018 Winnebago (a November a 2017 Ford Chassis), in August of 2019. I’m sure the power steering pump seals just dried out after sitting unused.
Remember, like any vehicle, it’s better to use them. Same is true for appliances in your brick and mortar homes.
So ours leaked from the pump seal. Thankfully it was under warranty, the bill back to Ford was $1,200.
They Simply replaced the entire pump. BTW, the new pump had an upgraded version of the seal/pulley. So there you go…good luck!
Old 02-23-2022, 04:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

So cannot just replace seals? Wow that's expensive. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by monytaker View Post
So cannot just replace seals? Wow that's expensive. Thank you.
The shaft and bearing seal looked press fit into the power steering pump. Perhaps it could be replaced, not sure. Since it was under warranty, they just replaced the entire pump.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had a leaking seal on the steering gear of our 2020 ACE, same F53 chassis as yours. It was covered under the ford powertrain warranty, and I got a new steering gear.'

Two things:

1. Your RV might still be under that warranty, depending on the in-service date.
2. Take it to Ford. You can check on their commercial site which shops in your area can accommodate a Class A. They all list what they can/will work on.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, leak, power, steering