Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

power problem

Currently reading manual but thought I would post on here for additional help.

2004 Itasca Suncruiser.

The problem:

Plugged in at house, breakers good, Hugh's Autoformer light shows good power and 12 v inverted outlet has 117 v. Power management system show 0 amps on 120 v and a/c, fridge and microwave have no ac power.

Start the generator and good power throughout MH.

All MH breakers I can find are good.

Planned a trip out Sunday, hope to have this fixed. Any thoughts appreciated.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

So everything works ok on the generator, right? Outlets connected to inverter work ok, right? But when connected to shore power, no AC stuff works, right?

Transfer switch. Check volts in and out to see if you have volts out.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Is your autoformer before your auto transfer switch(ATS) or after power goes through ATS? The fact that the inverter outlet has 117 v means nothing, it's getting it's power from the inverter and batteries, not shore power. If your ATS isn't working, it defaults to generator power. When you plug in shore cord you should hear a clunk from the big relay switching over to shore power connection.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
So everything works ok on the generator, right? Outlets connected to inverter work ok, right? But when connected to shore power, no AC stuff works, right?

Transfer switch. Check volts in and out to see if you have volts out.
Hate to sound dumb... how do I check the transfer switch?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Take the lid off it and you should see 3 large cables coming in. One from the shore cord, one from the generator, one going to your power panel with circuit breakers. Using a multimeter, test for voltage at the screw terminals of the shore cord coming in. Then measure at the terminals of cable going to power panel. The ATS senses electricity and then closes contacts on a large relay to switch power to shore cord. When at 'rest' it connects power from generator to the power panel. You've reported it works in that setting. As I said, when plugging in shore cord, a loud clunk should be heard signaling the ATS has switched on power from shore to power panel. With everything unplugged, you can try moving the mechanism of the relay by hand. Also, check that all screw terminals holding down the large wires are tight. They can loosen from vibration and create connection issues.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #6

You are looking for a box about 8-10 inches square That has two different large cables going into the box and one large cable coming out of the box. One is for shore power, one for generator power and the third is the cable going to your main electrical panel.

Remove the cover and using your DVOM measure between Leg # 1 and Neutral, then measure between Leg #2 and Neutral. You should get 120 VAC on your meter each time. Measure the shore power coming in and then measure the shore power going out. If you have none going out, then you have a bum transfer switch.

Leg #1 & #2 should be RED and BLACK. The NEUTRAL wire should be WHITE.

BTW my transfer switch operates differently than BFlinn181 states. My ESCO transfer switch is in the standard position for shore power. The relay only works when the generator is powered up to call for generator power. There is a delay built into my transfer switch so the generator relay will not clunk in until the generator has come up to speed and running smooth.

You have to be VERY careful while you have LIVE shore power to the box. If you touch something incorrectly you can fry yourself.

If in doubt have an experienced electrician do the testing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have this exact same model and year motorhome as you. I have seen this problem before when plugged into a 30 amp circuit. Your transfer switch should put 120 volts on l1 and l2. If one of those legs does not have power, your power management system will not transfer power into the coach. Because you can get the coach power on with a generator is telling us that the transfer switch or the auto transformer has a problem. If you're comfortable with working with the circuit breaker panel off, measure the voltage coming in on the two 50 amp circuit breakers to neutral. Both should have 120 volts to neutral. If one line is absent, you need to go upstream next to your transfer switch. Again you need to be comfortable with doing this type of work, else take it into someone to have it checked.
bbtyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all, I will give it a try 1st thing in the morning.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Found the problem.

It's been very hot (100+) and I had the ac set at 95 on a 30 amp service. Think I over did it.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the help. New transfer switch is in and all is good.

Tags
power