Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2005, 01:45 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

You mention you had some turbo boost, what kind of boost are we talking? If you didn't have black smoke out the tailpipe and boost was well under 20 psi it may be lack of fuel delivery. The fact that you have an electrical issue at the same time makes me think it's electronic rather than mechanical. A loose or bad ground may be causing a false signal to a sensor controlling fuel delivery to the injectors.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Update - Fuel filter got changed yesterday. I drove it this morning and it runs fine. Problem - they cut open the old filter and didn't find any obvious clogging. Wish I had tried driving it again before the filter was changed, but it's too late now. Don't have much confidence that we've found the problem...

The turn signals are still broke, so that's a separate problem. Also noticed that, although the turn signal indicator on the dash stays on solid, the bulbs outside are actually blinking very fast.

Guess I'll treat the fuel and make a series of short drives till I get confidence restored.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Just a follow-up on this issue for those that offered helpful advise and others that might learn from it.

Cruzer gets the grand prize...apparently it WAS algae. The fuel filter was changed and the Powerservice algae removal kit recommeded by KAYERIVERCITY was used and there have been no further problems. Runs like a dream!

The turn signals were a separate problem - a module was replaced by FL under warranty. Just happened to coincide with the loss of power.

Lesson learned - don't let untreated fuel sit in a less than full tank for 3 months in the muggy southland. Had the tank been full, keeping the humid air away from the fuel, it might not have happened. Fuel is about 20 cents a gallon higher here than in Tampa, so I usually fill up at Flying J in Tampa and then drive 100 miles home. In this case, maybe false economy...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:46 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the follow up and tips. I'm guilty of not keeping my fuel tank full also. I'm going to fill it tomorrow and try to keep it that way. Strange about the turn signal module happening at the same time.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

When I had the sailboat, I had severe algae problems early in my ownership. Made a trip to Key West from Cape Canaveral and discovered the diesel fuel was so slimed, I had to get a dockside fuel cleaning service in Key West to pump the fuel from my tank to their filtration system and then back into my tank. I learned my lesson and always added a growth-control product called Biobor with every fueling.

Never ever had problems after that even though the boat might sit for three months at a time in the slip.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:55 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I experienced a power loss on my 03 Horizon when it had about 4,000 miles. In my case it was a shut down of the allison 6 spd xmission. It wouldn't go above 3rd gear. I had checked the dipstick fluid level several times and it always read full, but the allison rep had me do a computer diagnostic check from the control pad and it indicated low fluid levels. We added three quarts and rechecked the system and everything was then fine, back to full power. The rep told me a lot of the dipsticks are mis-calibrated and not to trust them! I was concerned I may have damaged something but he said no, the system holds almost 5 gal so a few qts low wouldn't hurt and thats what the tranny was doing, protecting itself. Hope this helps, or that you find your problem. I suspect the signal situation is not related? Good luck.
ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote