Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Power locks to storage bins

I have an 06 Itasca Meridian 36g and power locks do not work for the storage bins. The relays above the generator click but locks do not operate. I have power to the switch. And I locked a bin manually and it will not unlock. I've tried both remote and switch. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
lvnrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You have one of the most difficult 12V problems to solve. Most likely there is a broken wire, or failed fuse, or corroded ground connection.
IMO the only logical way to find the problem is to begin at the solenoid and trace the wiring with continuity tester, as using a 12V test light requires constant power in this instantaneous/momentary circuit. Applying power continually to test might burn out something expensive.
Did I mention I hate 12V problems? Patience is not my strong suit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You mentioned having power from the switch to the relay. Have you checked for voltage out of the relay when it clicks on? There may be a different fuse for that circuit.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I checked the plugs leading to the door panel. They flash 12 volts when I hit the lock button but the locks do not operate. I don't know why.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Are your house and chassis batteries fully charged? I don't know which powers the locks. Low voltage may be inadequate to bump all the solenoids at the same time.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have checked the house batteries they are two years old and read 13 volts. The engine batteries are 1 year old and read 12.8
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You said a voltage appears on the relay output. How many locks are on the circuit? Do any of them activate? Any sound from the latches? Possibly a loose wiring connection that prevents full power from being delivered to the solenoids? Could one of the locks be shorting the current and drawing it away from the other locks? If wiring allows, I would try isolating the locks one by one (i.e. Removing the other locks from the circuit).
Old 01-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Today I replaced all 4 relays, no change. So I disconnected the doors one at a time, no change. The relays still click but no doors lock/unlock. I can not hear any noise from any of the locks.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Have you called the Winnebago Help Number? they have been very helpful to me over the years. Their # is 800-537-1885 if you don't have it. Have your serial number handy. Good luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnrdream View Post
I have an 06 Itasca Meridian 36g and power locks do not work for the storage bins. The relays above the generator click but locks do not operate. I have power to the switch. And I locked a bin manually and it will not unlock. I've tried both remote and switch. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Just wondering,
Since you have Power compartment door locks, do you also have a power door lock on the main entrance door? If so, is it working correctly? The Remote power door and compartment lock systems on these era coaches has been known to cause issues and, simply quit. Somewhere in my archives I have a write-up on a complete module replacement with new remotes.

But, not sure your module is part of the problem or not. The lock-unlock solenoids in each compartment door are designed very close to the standard ones in many regular vehicle doors. They're easy to test. You can do it two ways. One, simply "probe" into the wires leading into one of the doors with 12V + and 12V - and, you should be able to hear the lock solenoid work.

Or, are the solenoids you're speaking of, the same ones I'm speaking of? If so, forget all I just sent about testing them.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, storage