Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Power Line Energy Management System (EMS)

The Power Line Energy Management System (EMS) on our 2008 35J Sightseer started acting bizarre late yesterday. It properly shows 30 AMP connection and how many amps we are using (less than 20 most of the time). But it insists on shedding all of the systems except the fridge (per the lights) and it won't let it come on either.

I haven't tried it on generator yet since I want to be a good neighbor, plus we're in the fringes of Irene. Any ideas on what to check? Thanks in advance, Steve
Old 08-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

First thing I'd try is to isolate if the problem is the converter. It was for me....
If not, I'd look at connections to the EMS circuit board or the board itself.
The converter/charger converts 110VAC to 12VDC when you are on shore power or running generator. And it also charges your house batteries.

While hooked up to shore power, locate your converter (mine is under the lowest drawer under the stove) and unplug the 110VAC supply. This forces the EMS to use 12VDC supply from the house batteries only.

If the problem clears up, you may have the same problem I did. My converter was supplying "dirty" power to the 12VDC system. (AC voltage bleeding over to the DC output side) The EMS being sensitive to that issue, was acting strangely. Like the canary in the mine....

I replaced the crappy converter Winnie used with a smart converter from IOTA.

Good luck down there and be safe. Hopefully you will be past the worst of Irene soon!!
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Many thanks. I replaced my Winnie converter several years ago and can get to the plug easy. I'll try that when we get power back. We evaced from Cedar Island NC to Selma on I-95. Glad we left...next town over has 3-4' of water everywhere. Glad we have a MH!

I'll report back.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Some folks have reported that fluorescent lights can interfere with the EMS and cause it to act strangely.

Mine was affected by a very old electric fence charger plugged into an outlet on the same leg (not the same breaker) of the service panel as my motor home.
My rear AC compressor would be randomly shed.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar problem on a 2008 Tour. Winnebago suggested that I unplug from shore power, and hit the battery disconnect switch to remove power completely for about 1 minute. This apparently reset the EMS -- no more problems after that.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv rick View Post
We had a similar problem on a 2008 Tour. Winnebago suggested that I unplug from shore power, and hit the battery disconnect switch to remove power completely for about 1 minute. This apparently reset the EMS -- no more problems after that.
Rick wins! This solved it. Many thanks to all for the ideas. Steve
Old 08-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
Rick wins! This solved it. Many thanks to all for the ideas. Steve
Glad to here you got your problem solved and thanks for letting us know what solved it. Knowing the solution helps us sharpen our troubleshooting skills so we can help the next member who experiences the same problem.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My EMS was doing the same thing. It may depend on your model, but mine has a 3 hour averaging algorithm it uses when you are on a 30 amp supply. Basically, if you use more than 80% of 30 amps (24 amps) average over a 3 hour period, it will automatically reduce the supply to that 80%, or reduce the available amps to 24 amps. If your system is shedding, yet it indicates you are using less than the 30 amps available, look to see if there is a "decimal" point at the lower right hand corner of your readout. The decimal readout indicates you are on the "averaging" algorithm.
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
KIX
Winnebago Master

I read that you found the solution to your EMS issue. When I had a problem with the EMS lights indicating it was shedding loads the problem turned out to be a 12v flourescent ballast. The light fixture seemed to be operating correctly however when that particular fixture was turned of the EMS problem was corrected. Changed the ballast and permanent fix.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Glad to hear about the ballast, in case it happens again and it's not on averaging! The key is to look for the "decimal" in the lower right hand corner of the readout. If the decimal is there, it's averaging. If I have the same thing happen again and it's not there, I know where to start looking first! Thanks for the info!
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power