Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Power Gear Slim Rack Slide-Out System

Has anyone had their Lippert Schwintek Slide-Out System replaced with the Power Gear Slim Rack Slide-Out System? Are any modification required to either the slide room itself, or the wall opening in the Coach?

Does anyone know the exact distance in inches required between the outside wall of the slide room to the inside wall of the framed wall opening of coach to allow enough space for installation of the Power Gear Slim Rack Slide-Out System?

I currently have the Lippert Schwintek Slide-Out System and it has failed twice in 35 days, and I'm thinking about replacing it with the Power Gear Slim Rack Slide-Out System, but I don't know if it is an easy retrofit.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John
jam4travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't think it is terribly tough because the service center do it a lot, but I don't know myself. I probably will need to get it done for the kitchen someday.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
2014 Journey 36M

One day to do at Forest City on my 2014 Journey 36M full wall slide...slide doesn't have to come out and no mod to opening (that I can see) other than a different looking inside trim piece and of course different gear rails outside and new controller. They've done a bunch of them and do a good job.

Powergear/Lippert website has ton of info on their in-wall systems...Schwintek and Slim Rack.
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
Site Team

I know I've heard of other folks getting this done outside of Forest City. I just don't know exactly where. I seem to remember someone posting about having it done in the Carolina's somewhere and the place doing the work had done the work previously.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. But I do know a trip to Forest City would certainly insure the job was done pretty quickly.

I'd hazard a guess, but it's just a guess, that there are places around Elkhart, IN that specialize in this kind of thing. Perhaps a call to Lippert could provide a list?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I've heard some folks are sent to the Country Coach plant in Oregon to get it done as well, at least some of the Warranty jobs.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My understanding is that Winnegago will pay for the repair of a broken Lippert Schwintek Slide-Out System.
rocollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mine is being done by an independent shop right now. Total failure of the driver's side slide with Schwintek system. 2015 Sunova 33C.
jbarry130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

jbarry130 would you share what independent shop is doing your repair? Will the shop be replacing the Schwintek with the Power Gear Slim Rack System?
jam4travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The Scwintech slide mechanism on my 2015 Vista 35F big slide had to be repaired twice, once under the original warranty and again under my extended warranty. I haven’t had a problem with the bedroom slide. I might consider the replacement recommended if I can find a good shop to do it.
kcgrant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocollins View Post
My understanding is that Winnegago will pay for the repair of a broken Lippert Schwintek Slide-Out System.
I wish that was 100% certain. I've heard of some they replaced at their cost and others that they did not.

I think in each case that they did do the repair at their expense it was 1) at the factory and 2) the RV had a fairly long history of slide repairs when it was under warranty. But I'm not sure of the exact circumstances.

Maybe it's folks that complain the loudest?????
Old 11-28-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Here is my experience. I had a 2015 Winn 35F, and the big slide stuck out in Phoenix, this was Jan 2017. $1,000 parts and labor to put in a new motor to get slide in and get me on the road. But gears were torn up and couldn't use the slide.

Back home I called Winnebago Customer Service in Forest City, IA. Nice guy said sorry, unit is out of warranty (11k miles but only 15 months old, and this would be 3rd new slide). But he told me about a kit to replace the Schwintek with Power Gear. Gave me the number to call Winnebago parts in Forest City. I called, and the parts person refused to give me any information about the parts, or kit or pricing - said I had to talk to a dealer. Practically hung up on me.

Good news - called Winnebago in Junction City, Oregon and talked to Arlene. She emailed me a quote for parts same day - $901 for new Power Gear slides and $382 for parts to install to Power Gear to 35F. Made an appointment and had a new slide 14 days later.
No real modifications - the kit provides sealant and a vinyl like cover for the Schwintek slide screws, and when done you can't really tell the difference from new. Service in Oregon was awesome. Started by 9AM, kept overnight, but on the road by noon the next day.
New Power Gear still screams, but is solid and I never worried about the slide again.
Or tried not to, but... some things make you nervous... and less trustful. So now I drive a Newmar Bay Star!
sanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Forgot to mention, the prices were for parts. Labor to install it all was about $950.
sanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had mine upgraded by Camper Connection in Myrtle Beach. They are owned by Lippert. Did a outstanding job. Highly recommend them. Winnebago continues to use a outdated Lippert system to save money. As they add more weight on long slide outs the upgraded is needed. Failure should not reflect on Lippert. There are problems listed all over the internet.
If you are having the slide out contacting floor or removing tile under the island you are in big trouble.
ernied7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

We just bought a 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F (which is the same as Winnebago Adventurer 37F) Our full wall drivers side slide is catching the floor and tearing parts of it up. We had a repair facility look at it, and they said out extended warranty that we just purchased when we bought the coach in February would not cover the repair due to the floor has sunk in and that is the reason the slide id tearing up the floor the only thing they said that would be covered is the V rollers in the slide system. Sounds like a winne design failure due to way to much weight on the rollers and therefore made them sink into the flooring where they are mounted. Has anyone else heard of this?
Donchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Have the exact same problem on my 2014 Itasca 33C. Design problem by Winnebago. When they added the island, bigger refrigerator, and washer dryer, they never upgraded the Lippert slide out equipment. Old system cannot handle weight.I had to upgrade to their new system. Not cheap. Good news is they shared some of the cost. Bad news is my extended warranties on slide out now void because it is not original equipment.
There are two choices. Put rollers under island and hope it works. It will for a while. Second is bit the bullet and upgrade. You will not be sorry.
Strongly recommend talking to Lippert and get their advise. Then Winnebago for some help. Winnebago is well award of problem. Check the internet.
ernied7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Had mine done last week at camping world what they found was there are only five rollers and none under the heaviest part by the sink. Causing the room to sag. They added an additional roller hoping this will help it work better.
Del carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

What I experienced

I recognize this thread is a bit aged but---Of the last 2 rigs we owned (a 2014 31KE Itasca and a 2016 38Q) the 2014 had Schwinteks. As many have heard they did not have a good reputation for holding up. I guess I was the odd fellow here because we never had a problem with our Schwinteks and we used them hard.

Fast forward to our 2016 38 Q. It has 2 slides with heavier supposedly new and improved Power Gear slim racks. Over the past 6 years both slides failed seriously and had the drive blocks- essential to the operation of the shaft and pinion- crack and fail during our use of each slide. The first failure occurred in 2017 and Winnebago installed a supposedly better drive block under warranty. It has held up so far. Our rear bedroom slide with the Power Gear Slim Rack had the drive blocks fail on it a few months ago.$1300 later again the supposedly new drive blocks have been installed to replace the new ones.

If you go with Slim Racks I hope you get the improved drive blocks. I have to admit I was happier with the older Schwinteks than the newer Power Gear systems. Just my personal experience.

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, power gear, slide