Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Power Gear slide failure

I just purchased a 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U. Today the drivers side slide failed. The roller (Wheels ) that the slide rolls in and out on all broke in half. They are made of a wonderful plastic material. Does anyone know of replacement rollers that are make from a brass or other metal material. Both slides are over 21 feet in length and seem extremely heavy for plastic rollers 3/4" wide by 2" in diameter riding on a 1/2" shaft
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you can get one of them out just take it to a machine shop and have a couple made out of steel. Shouldn't be all that expensive. When one of mine cracked I took the coach to a repair outfit that had already had a batch made up for Monaco coaches. The one that failed for me was under the refrigerator which is in the slide out. Slide makes a little more noise when extending/retracting but no worries about it breaking again.

It's also possible that Monaco used the same Power Gear rollers so you might want to check with

Elite Repair and Remodel LLC
642 Hwy 99E, Harrisburg , OR 97446
541-255-6231 Eric/541 517-1716 Marty
Email Address: [email protected]
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have to agree with BDPreece.. I had a gear break on my Power Gear Slide.. got nowhwhere with the dealer.. took the broken gear to a local machine shop and they made me a new one.. good as new again
I would think making a roller would be even easier.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Bad roller

I think that this slide mechanism is just an example of bad or no engineering. When the first roller broke the next one broke as well due to the extreme load. Both rollers at the front end of the slide were still there, but had the side chipped off where the ram rolled on them. The slide is now jacked up and supported by 2 2 X 4's, one under each ram. When removing the shoulder bolts that the rollers ride on, none of them were tight. With only a single 3/8-16 lock nut and no lock washer, there is no way that the shoulder bolts could stay tight. (possibly leading to the failure).
I took the drawing of the part to a local machine shop. After a discussion with the machinist we decided on using aluminum. Much stronger than the plastic and will not rust. Should carry the load for a long time. Upon installation, I will grease the shoulder bolts with lithium grease and install with lock washers. I have ordered 8 rollers so I can do the passenger side also.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You guys dare to insinuate that engineers screwed up. For shame. Engineers are NEVER wrong.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'd be careful with metal rollers if you rig is anything like ours. All tile main floor with electric heat. I would be very careful to keep from breaking a tile with a metal roller on them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Power grar - metal rollers

Mr.D - Sorry but you must have no knowledge of this power gear system. The rollers in question only support the "Ram" and never come any near the interior or floor of the coach.
We are engineering a retro-fit for the support rollers. It will be only one roller, with a notch in the middle to clear the gear and one shaft that that supports the roller from side to side. If out testing proves out it will be a "one-time" fix
Old 11-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
You guys dare to insinuate that engineers screwed up. For shame. Engineers are NEVER wrong.
Well. no, we do not imply the Engineer screwed up, after all he specified Tungstin Steel. but the bean counters said "Oh, that's too expensive" and the Machinest squealed "That's too hard to machine" so they decided on plastic castings instead.

See how "Stuff Happens" it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$

Oh, and for the record.. I made that up. Do not know if that is how it happened but how many think it's a reasonable explanation?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

New aluminum rollers

Got 8 new aluminum rollers from the machine shop today. Greased and installed with "Lock Washers". Both slides run very smooth and no extra noise. If nothing else breaks they should be worry free.

Tags
power, power gear, slide