Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Just picked up our new 2007 Journey 39 - can't wait for the snow and cold to be gone.

This unit has an AE Weather Pro Power Awning (our previous Journey had a manual awning.)

Is it possible for these awnings to billow out in a strong crosswind when driving down the road, and if so are there devices out there to prevent such catastrophies?? I've seen various devices advertised ( I assume for the manual type) but don't know if there are some made specifically for the power awnings.

Thanks for your help.
jhruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Just picked up our new 2007 Journey 39 - can't wait for the snow and cold to be gone.

This unit has an AE Weather Pro Power Awning (our previous Journey had a manual awning.)

Is it possible for these awnings to billow out in a strong crosswind when driving down the road, and if so are there devices out there to prevent such catastrophies?? I've seen various devices advertised ( I assume for the manual type) but don't know if there are some made specifically for the power awnings.

Thanks for your help.
jhruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This unit has an AE Weather Pro Power Awning (our previous Journey had a manual awning.)

Is it possible for these awnings to billow out in a strong crosswind when driving down the road, and if so are there devices out there to prevent such catastrophies?? I've seen various devices advertised ( I assume for the manual type) but don't know if there are some made specifically for the power awnings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is appearently possible for these units to unfurl as some members have posted. The lock taht is supposed to fit our awning is at the following link: http://www.hometown.aol.com/goldenwgf/

I have ordered one but have not installed it yet
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have an AE Weather Pro Awning on my rig ... the awning has never unfurled ... but I travel across some areas that are known to have lots of wind ... and I would rather error on the side of caution than have my awning unfurl ... I have seen several unfurl and it is not a pretty sight ...

I have fabricated a hold down for my awning ...

Hold Down Here

I use them whenever I am travelling and a strong wind is blowing from the curb side
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have punched into some extremely windy conditions on several occasions (40+ mph winds) from all quadrants and have never had an awning problem. These winds were so gusty it was difficult and tiring to drive even with our Howard Power Center Steering device going at full pressure.

Since we have never had a problem, I don't want to bother with installing/uninstalling an awning lock - there are already enough things to remember when setting up camp.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We do a good percentage of our driving in the west. On our 2 previous MHs we have had them billows. Both were manual.So far we have not had any problem with the electric awning. I am of the opinion that it can not blow out.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

'kenbt' reported encountering 80mph winds that tore open the awning on his 2005 Vectra 36RD: Wind damaged awning

That's the only account I've run across so far involving a power awning--unfortunately, it's the same awning we've got .

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote