Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Let me explain to thoes who don't get the message I was/am trying to convay;; I am 73 years old. When I bought Our Ultimate. I had no problem Throwing a rug down laying down on it and looking at the Underside of the coach; I like to know what I am buying. Somehow that meaning went away , (check it out first )) Oh well it is new and I ASS U ME It will be OK ( there that darn word again)
A "Rug", now that's a novel idea.

I've never been shy about plopping down on my back and crawling under a 4x4 or MH. Hey, it all comes off in the wash.

I've had to bite my fingers many times to keep from typing "Use the 'Search' function" when new members start a thread asking the same thing that gets posted almost daily. Things like tires, batteries, etc. If I ever do, it is in a polite way and possibly include a link to the info requested.

A simple search like "What tire" turns up every thread with the word "what" and "tire" in it, so at times, it gets quite frustrating.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Well you can guarantee that the next time (should I get to purchase a new coach) not only am I going to crawl my ASS up under it, I'm going to drag the two kids, the husband, salesman, heck and maybe even the store manager, to check it out.
Definitely going to use the rug idea. Possibly give the kids tools and see what they knock loose! After all, they are two years old, and four years old, and love to bang on things.

So for the newcomers, maybe people that are looking to buy new coach, let's make this post productive.

Is a list of things that you would give someone for homework to look for? Aside from maybe the obvious rust and corrosion.

On my list- I will never purchase another coach that has exposed little motors, like the slide room motors, leveling jack motors etc. exposed to the open elements. There are a ton of manufacturers that protect these components in the storage areas. I don't feel like these kid of parts can take getting hit by whatever elements they encounter by just driving and be expected to last more than a year or so.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #43

In my short life I got to sell realestate;; When you bought a house? anything the mortgage company was involved with,. They demanded a. Inspection. Even On new houses (how afoul on then, of all the nerve) before they would lend you even ONE penny. .... Try to read between the lines. ( just what was my point ??)
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #44
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
So only people who are physically able to crawl under a MH should be able to buy one?
I can still crawl around on the ground and look at my motorhome; if only I knew WHAT I was looking at or looking for!

My vote is for using the 'search' feature AND asking my own questions. I figure if no one wants to answer, no one's going to answer, but it seems that many people here are all too happy to give you some insight. There's probably a pretty high percentage of questions posted here on a daily basis that someone has asked before, possible many times before.

But for me, it would be kind of dull if I only searched and searched, found some basic answers to my questions, and that was the end of my interaction with iRV2 forum members. Myself, I even like the 'really dumb' questions, since maybe I'll actually know the answer. Maybe. I know I have no chance with the technical ones. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #45
Winnebago Master

RT,
You are correct. Searches are bound by the rules of the search engine and the results are not often in keeping with the desires of the search question, even in the advanced mode.

Personally I think you, and anyone, is justified to ask the same question in a new post. There are new RV'ers who join this forum on a day to day basis. I am sure that they do not have the time or desire to read 20,000+ posts, and most will not have the same questions as others.

However, they may have a "new" answer and it could be helpful to the new(old) posted question.

So I say, ask on!

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
RT,
You are correct. Searches are bound by the rules of the search engine and the results are not often in keeping with the desires of the search question, even in the advanced mode.

Personally I think you, and anyone, is justified to ask the same question in a new post. There are new RV'ers who join this forum on a day to day basis. I am sure that they do not have the time or desire to read 20,000+ posts, and most will not have the same questions as others.

However, they may have a "new" answer and it could be helpful to the new(old) posted question.

So I say, ask on!

Happy trails.
Exactly! Also, I've noticed that after some sort of time frame, you can no longer ask clarifying questions in an older thread; it locks down. If you still have a question after reading older threads, there is no alternative other than starting a new thread 'with the same old questions'.

I agree with you; ask on! -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #47
Winnie-Wise

I think it depends when the unit was delivered. Our Journey was mfg in March and del in April, No rust. Our Adv was mfg in Sept and delivered in Sept, no rust.
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

I think there is an Override button at the bottom the "out-dated" message.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #49
Winnie-Wise

When purchasing my first class A in 2007, a 2003 Horizon, it had an appalling amount of rust on the underside. The original owner had purchased it in Jan 2003, and drove it two winters in New England.
Other potential purchasers had passed on it because of the rust. But I was getting a great deal, and bought it. I pressure washed the whole underside, spent about 10 hours sanding, treating, primed and painted the visible parts as needed, and attached a new electrical ground plate where the old was just about rusted through. Then enjoyed the coach for three Seattle summers and winters.
When I finally traded it in, I crawled under and looked at many other used coaches, from 3 to 10 years old, and my 2003 model looked as good or better rust wise, than all the others I saw. Moral of the story, they are all going to rust some, but it doesn't mean the rig is not good.
My 2010 model was assembled in February, delivered to Seattle in late March, no noticable rust. After two years of full-timing, some wet weather winter driving, there is some rust starting to show in a few places, but very little. I think it is inevitable that these big boxes are going to get some rust, especially if they are driven on winter roads with salt. But a little maintenance can go a longs ways to keeping it to a minimum.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #50

I looked at a one only a few years old on a dealer lot that I could poke my finger through the frame on.. They wanted full price.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #51

I can't believe what I'm reading.. Friends Friends Friends;; If the thread is still active and posters are showing interest in it. Of all the nerve to suggest droping the post... Get a life. If it disturbs you. How simple Just DON"T click on the thread. . Readred are still showing interest in. the post Of Please do your Homework;;
Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #52
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading.. Friends Friends Friends;; If the thread is still active and posters are showing interest in it. Of all the nerve to suggest droping the post... Get a life. If it disturbs you. How simple Just DON"T click on the thread. . Readred are still showing interest in. the post Of Please do your Homework;;
From the same guy who almost demanded the Winnebago rust threads be closed. You are almost quoting verbatim what the posters with problems said.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #53
Winnie-Wise

Do as I say, not as I do.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #54

I can hardly see the compairason Between being responseable for what you are buying and carring on about a rust problem.... OK THERE IS A RUST PROBLEM WITH SOME MOTORHOMES:::::: are you all happy now.. By looking under it you can see it... The windshild RUST can only be seen AFTER THE FACT.. Please pay attention.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

bachler, tell us how you really feel.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #56
Winnebago Camper

I didn't notice any comparisions made. I observed some simply pointing out the hypocrisy in one person suggesting to everyone that if a particular thread bothers them then simply "don't click on the thread." Yet said hypocrit is apparently unable to do just that....

Please do your homework.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #57
Winnebago Owner

I guess it getting to the point where the "Be Nice" rule needs to be pointed out before things start to get out of hand.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #58
Winnie-Wise

Some posts make if difficult to play nicely.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #59
Winnebago Owner

OK...I'll bite...

These are the kinds of threads that scare the crap out of me. I'm such a novice and I am in the process of buying my rig. So, I guess I got time to crawl under it and check for rust. Makes me wonder just how much homework I missed knowing I had to do. LOL What other dreadful thing is lurking and just waiting to suck the green out of my wallet...well, even faster than a well tuned MH to boot. LOL

As a moderator on an investment board (TSPcenter for any feds out there) I know the trials and tribulations of topic drift and topics that get out of hand. It can be confusing. Maybe for some of us new folks it goes right over the top and never registers. For me, as I am just getting ready to close the deal, it makes my shiny, shaved head sweat.

Never-the-less, I would rather be candidly scared out of my wits than blissfully ignorant. Now...where is that crawler I use to have to check it out before I sign on the dotted line?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #60
Winnebago Owner

You just have to watch out for that Dunner guy. He loves to go off topic as often as he can get away with.

I just took my creeper out of my MH. I figured that if I ever needed it, it would be on rough pavement and it wouldn't d do me any good anyhow.

I just went out one Saturday to buy a MH and found my signature. Made an offer and bought it... all in less than 4 hours. . Guess I was like stink on... and found the right one. Other than the motor blowing up on the second trip, it's a great little(32'er). Buddy bought the LX model for $20K more and I got a better one. His wife wants to trade. I got twice the storage space and a better kitchen layout. Thank goodnes for extended service contracts. Woulda cost me over than $10K without it. The WiFi I don't have let me buy it. I'm happy with it and a new motor+.