Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Please let me be clear... I am not trying to make a personal attack on anyone.. If you would please all read the thread heading. Base your responce on that...
"Please do your homework"
Well you know how life goes ......sometimes you get a lot of homework, and then sometimes you don't.

I've noticed through the years is that a search doesn't always find what your looking for. Many posters have such bad spelling that a critical thread won't show up in a search because of a "speeling deficeincy".
Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Guess we know know the world according to Jim. Stay home, shut up & stay in your corner. Thanks Jim.............I need your instructions.
uh yea, ok, that's exactly what i said....ok.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #23

Altho off the subject,, My first car was A 1929 Chev sudan Then A 1933 Cuope with the Rumble seat .(wish I had IT) My 1951 Chrysler. My 1959 and 1960 Ply. Conv. When I bought them I was asked By the dealer If I wanted then Undercoated,, I don't remember the Exact cost; This is not a selling point because of added cost;; But I had control, option if i wanted it done. I had asked my Motorhome dealer if I could have it done. he said yes. But it was rather expensive.I Asked. I chose not to have it done; Now I must ask the question.. Do I have the right to question the manufactore of the coach;; I think NOT.. I was stopped for speeding one time. I told the Not so nice police man I did not Know what the speed limit was ;as ti was 55 MPH now it was 35MPH. He just smiled and said That was my responsability to Know. Then I thought Well I'll just take it to court;Second mistake. Judge ( not judge JUDY) stated I need to Know abd be Responsable for myself and NOT try to blame someone alse ;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
..be Responsable for myself and NOT try to blame someone alse ;
What a concept.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Actually, Bubbletrucks post and problems was an invaluable lesson to most anyone purchasing a new motorhome. They admitted to not crawling under the motorhome, and MANY of us would do the same thing. I crawled under my 12 year old motorhome, in Arizona, when is was 80 out. I probably would not have thought of doing for a new one, even after being on this site for a year. In fact, it would never have occurred to me to do that n a new vehicle until Bubbletrucks unfortunate purchase.

I'm glad we have this site, and even though we may get critical of some decisions people make, their willingness to share a mistake is every bit as helpful as someone else's expert advice.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Nevermind the rust post... but...

People come here when they are having trouble, looking for a solution.
They don't usually search and read for hours, they might a little, but then they post up.
The vast majority are not trained (self or otherwise) mechanics.
Many are not accomplished do it yourselfers.

Those who hang out here and are trained mechanics and or accomplished do it your selfers should either take the time to offer meaningful and helpful suggestions based on perceptions of the ability of the poster, or just stay in your corner and shut up.

Don't EVER reply with a "do a search, that's been posted here a zillion times.
I don't care if you are right and it has, if that's the best you can do, just stay home.

One of my biggest peeves is the "who's responsibility is that" syndrome. When my kids do it, it's the "it's not my fault" syndome.
It takes a lot of restaint on my part not to remind posters that:
The warrantee is 1 year.
The manufacturer went out of business, they are no longer responsible.
you bought a used coach. you did a PDI before you paid for it, you saw that everything worked before you gave them a penny, and the warrantee lasted until the rear wheels cleared the curb on the way out of thier lot.

But people don't want to hear that, let's just help them if we can, or refrain from comment if we have nbothing useful to add.
Ditto..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
Wow.

The limited thoughts posted in one thread may not provide a full or complete answer to a common question. Being informed that there are "zillions" of other posts may provide you with a much more complete and accurate answer to your question.

Posters have no way of knowing if you know that many more answers exist (beyond the original one thread) and may suggest that you do a search to find more answers and thoughts to your question. Hence, "just stay home" would deprive you of what you in fact came here for.

Rehashing the answers to common questions over and over by "Those who hang out here and are trained mechanics and or accomplished do it your selfers" is not the best use of their time either. People who provide answers are volunteering their time to help people with questions out. And, usually try to do so in the most efficient and most complete manner possible.

Respecting the time these knowledgeable people put in to answering as well as respecting the desire of those asking questions to get the best possible answers seems to be the best approach.

Being informed there are "zillions" of existing posts certainly accomplishes both.
Thats not what he said...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Thats not what he said...
Really? I can only read what "he said" (re-quoted below) - especially with the capital "Don't EVER reply with a do a search..." - one way and one way only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Don't EVER reply with a "do a search, that's been posted here a zillion times.
I don't care if you are right and it has, if that's the best you can do, just stay home.
My prior post still stands. I'll suggest to do a search every time it enhances the thread or has been answered zillions of times before and thus respects the time of previous posters who already invested their time in providing those zillions of prior answers.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #28

I am so sorry I started this Thread;; It's heading Do your homework;; I do not understand How There can be so many negative Posts. Come on guys, Lets keep this in a posative Mode. If you need to rant and rave, Please start a Thread for that OK>>>.... It is simply DO YOUR HOMEWORK. A great president once said. some words we should remember;;; I am responseable for my actions.... His words were THE buck stops here;;; If I didn't look in my new car when I bought it 2 years later I look in and see It has no rear seat in it Am I going to the dealer/manufacter and ask for a seat .. ( I can ask , he will laugh at Me). Know what you are buying..
Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Really? I can only read what "he said" (re-quoted below) - especially with the capital "Don't EVER reply with a do a search..." - one way and one way only.

My prior post still stands. I'll suggest to do a search every time it enhances the thread or has been answered zillions of times before and thus respects the time of previous posters who already invested their time in providing those zillions of prior answers.
He didnt say not to to say it, but dont answer with only that... Basically I see it as you and him saying the same thing..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
"Please do your homework"
Well you know how life goes ......sometimes you get a lot of homework, and then sometimes you don't.

I've noticed through the years is that a search doesn't always find what your looking for. Many posters have such bad spelling that a critical thread won't show up in a search because of a "speeling deficeincy".
Can I get an "amen."
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #31

Let me explain to thoes who don't get the message I was/am trying to convay;; I am 73 years old. When I bought Our Ultimate. I had no problem Throwing a rug down laying down on it and looking at the Underside of the coach; I like to know what I am buying. Somehow that meaning went away , (check it out first )) Oh well it is new and I ASS U ME It will be OK ( there that darn word again)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote - SarahW - Can I get an "amen"?

"amen!"
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

So only people who are physically able to crawl under a MH should be able to buy one?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Wow.

The limited thoughts posted in one thread may not provide a full or complete answer to a common question. Being informed that there are "zillions" of other posts may provide you with a much more complete and accurate answer to your question.

Posters have no way of knowing if you know that many more answers exist (beyond the original one thread) and may suggest that you do a search to find more answers and thoughts to your question. Hence, "just stay home" would deprive you of what you in fact came here for.

Rehashing the answers to common questions over and over by "Those who hang out here and are trained mechanics and or accomplished do it your selfers" is not the best use of their time either. People who provide answers are volunteering their time to help people with questions out. And, usually try to do so in the most efficient and most complete manner possible.

Respecting the time these knowledgeable people put in to answering as well as respecting the desire of those asking questions to get the best possible answers seems to be the best approach.

Being informed there are "zillions" of existing posts certainly accomplishes both.
Yeah, WOW! I totally agree with you, ottffss. Existing posts are "ready" answers, and they should be used. It is a resource in many forums that is 'under-utilized.' Why even keep them around, if not to use for references?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Even as a moderator of the forum, I will incorporate statements like "and if you use our search function you'll find much more detail and background on this topic." But, I certainly don't ever post "go look it up" as my sole answer... and I think it's rare that anyone does that on this forum. I've heard that's not the case on all RV forums.

IMO, including a statement about the search function helps to educate new members on an important feature of our site.

I too agree that "life is good".

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Right On, RickO!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Thumbs down

Quote:
I am so sorry I started this Thread;; It's heading Do your homework;; I do not understand How There can be so many negative Posts. Come on guys, Lets keep this in a posative Mode. If you need to rant and rave, Please start a Thread for that OK>>>.... It is simply DO YOUR HOMEWORK. A great president once said. some words we should remember;;; I am responseable for my actions.... His words were THE buck stops here;;; If I didn't look in my new car when I bought it 2 years later I look in and see It has no rear seat in it Am I going to the dealer/manufacter and ask for a seat .. ( I can ask , he will laugh at Me). Know what you are buying..

I know how you feel. I've started a couple of threads that I wish I hadn't. People get off on a tangent and completely off the subject. And then, sadly enough, things start getting personal. So I've found that it's better to read than post!!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I am 73 years old. When I bought Our Ultimate. I had no problem Throwing a rug down laying down on it and looking at the Underside of the coach; I like to know what I am buying
And that is why there are choices. I did not work hard all my life so I could spend six figures on a new motorhome so I could crawl on the ground. Looking at chassis, hydraulic lines, wires, and all the other things visible from the ground is not my idea of a fun time, and, to me, not necessary. For those of us that have no real interest and no real knowledge about what we are looking at, it might even be counterproductive. Different strokes. Happy traveling.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Asking questions of others is always part of my homework, even if I do lay on my back and look up! Thats why I like to use forums.
I believe Gulfstream is another Manufacture that builds in a Northern state. That is if Indiana is in the north. Anybody have an opinion?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Asking questions of others is always part of my homework, even if I do lay on my back and look up! Thats why I like to use forums.
I believe Gulfstream is another Manufacture that builds in a Northern state. That is if Indiana is in the north. Anybody have an opinion?
I live in Houston. Almost all the states are "northern" to me.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote