Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Pilot out

Hi
The water heater says pilot out in my 2018 22’ Minnie Winnie Spirit.
Thank you for your help.
SpirSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Assuming you are not out of propane..try turning the water heater off wait a few minutes and switch it back on again..There is no pilot as such..It has automatic ignition...if the burner won't ignite or stay on. there is a problem and it goes to safety lock out...maybe just needs cleaning or minor adjustment.
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi
I have plenty of propane.
The red “pilot out” light comes on when I turn water heater on from panel.
Not sure where to clean.
Thanks again.
Jeannie
Old 10-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

OK if you can..turn the switch off at the panel..open the front cover of the water heater..take a good long look at everything you see.. could be a little critter jammed himself in there!..any way if you don't see anything unusual..take a 2" paintbrush or something similar and start cleaning everything... being very carefull not to break any wires or such.. but making sure that all the wires are connected to something..If a wire connection is loose or fallen of its post then you just may have found and corrected the fault...It's a new unit..can you call for warranty work?? good luck
Old 10-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirSage View Post
Hi
I have plenty of propane.
The red “pilot out” light comes on when I turn water heater on from panel.
Not sure where to clean.
Thanks again.
Jeannie
If I remember correctly, the red "pilot out" light goes on when I switch our water heater on and stays on for as long as 30 seconds until the burner fires up. We've had our Minnie Winnie for "only" a year, but the WH has never failed to light.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I will try this in the morning.
Can you tell me where the water heater is located? I am camping solo.
Thank you for your help.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Is it a Suburban water heater? Ours failed at one year and 10 days. The DSI module is a known problem and is only covered by a one year warranty. If the red light stays on and you now the propane is not the issue, you may want to contact Winnebago.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I will try this in the morning.
Can you tell me where the water heater is located? I am camping solo.
Thank you for your help.
Mine is a Suburban water heater and since we have different Minnie Winnie models, the floorplans are probably also very different. But for mine I remove four screws from a panel directly underneath the propane cooktop and oven. On the outside there should be a square access door with two round ports on one side and louver vents on the other.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
If I remember correctly, the red "pilot out" light goes on when I switch our water heater on and stays on for as long as 30 seconds until the burner fires up. We've had our Minnie Winnie for "only" a year, but the WH has never failed to light.
Hi
You’re right. That red light did go out after some time.
Thinking it might have been dangerous to leave switch to water heater on with that light on, I had been shutting it right down, taking cool showers.
So, the water heater is below cooktop and oven?
Maybe I should follow instructions of previous member and open it up to see if any critters got in there?
I did notice that happened with outdoor light.
Or maybe I should just bring it into dealer since this hurricane Michael is definitely putting a damper on this trip.
I have 6500 miles so it’s also due for oil change,.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

So glad your situation is resolved..There is a built in safety in your water heater..meaning that when you turn it on there is a normal start up procedure which takes a few seconds to complete...Switch on...ignition lights the burner, electronics .(see / sense) the flame and all is good...Don't worry about oil change just yet..... Get out of Florida ...away from Micheal anyway...
Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi
You’re right. That red light did go out after some time.
Thinking it might have been dangerous to leave switch to water heater on with that light on, I had been shutting it right down, taking cool showers.
So, the water heater is below cooktop and oven?
Maybe I should follow instructions of previous member and open it up to see if any critters got in there?
I did notice that happened with outdoor light.
Or maybe I should just bring it into dealer since this hurricane Michael is definitely putting a damper on this trip.
I have 6500 miles so it’s also due for oil change,.
Residential water heaters have something called a thermocouple that is positioned in the pilot light flame and is connected to the gas valve. Its purpose is to prevent gas flow to the burner if the pilot is out. A simple but very effective safety feature! I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure RV water heaters function the same way. I probably should have been a little more clear about the WH location info. That interior panel I mentioned gives access to the back of the WH where there are only plumbing connections that are unrelated to the actual heating functions which are accessed from the outside. If you ever need to winterize your motorhome you'll need to access the back of the WH to turn a bypass valve that effectively isolates the WH from the plumbing system so you can drain and prepare it separately. I visited our Winnie today and found that I was a bit inaccurate in my description of the outside WH access door. It does have the two round airflow ports, but it does not have the louvers. Those are actually on the door for the regular heater. Anyway, behind the outside WH door are all the gas and electrical connections as well as the temperature and pressure relief valve and sacrificial anode rod which will probably need to be replaced in a year or two (it prevents corrosion of the WH tank). So, after all this, if your WH is lighting off and producing hot water, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about for quite a while.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #12
2010 Winnebago Via 25r

Quote:
Hi
The water heater says pilot out in my 2018 22’ Minnie Winnie Spirit.
Thank you for your help.
Atwood/ dometic had bad control modules this last 12 mos. call dometic and they will send you a new one NC. Easy to self install
Mbarton557 is offline   Reply With Quote