Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Moving right along!!

Got the Jotto Desk installed today for the laptop, got VMSpc engine information center going on the laptop, wheeha!

Just go to our home page - the link is near the top of the main page.

PS - I also think I figured out why the closet (mirror) door won't stay closed. I'll let everybody know if the theory is accurate.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Moving right along!!

Got the Jotto Desk installed today for the laptop, got VMSpc engine information center going on the laptop, wheeha!

Just go to our home page - the link is near the top of the main page.

PS - I also think I figured out why the closet (mirror) door won't stay closed. I'll let everybody know if the theory is accurate.

--John

Old 06-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

John,
Thanks for the link to your great pics.
I'm seriousy considering the VMSpc and the pressure Pro myself.
Did you have any problem finding the engine connector to hook up the VMSpc? I haven't been able to find mine.

Joe T
Old 06-13-2005, 02:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Joe,

The connector was real, real easy to find. Just to the left of the steering wheel under the dash. Mine is round (about the size of a half-dollar), has nine pins and has a gray cap on it. The cap untwists about a eighth of a turn exposing the pins.

This is the disgnostic connector that the mechanics plug their laptop into when pulling a code on the engine. They can still easily unplug VMSpc and plug in their laptop.

I am anxious to get some road time with VMS. It is an amazing system and I think it will help me be a better manager of the engine's power (by use of the torque gauge.) Also by watching the intake manifold temperature, I will get an early warning of any engine overheating issues.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. It was my pleasure I'll be waiting to see a few shots of your VMSpc install

John

Old 06-13-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

John:

A couple of questions...what power supply do you use for your laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 and several I've seen on the internet say not compatible with 1100 series Dells.

I looked for an OBD connector in the mass of wires/connectors but did not see it. I do have a round gray connector with a cap as you describe in the rear engine access area. Wonder if Winne/FL put it there on my coach?

Finally, how much 'wiggle' do you get with the laptop when underway?

Thanks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

smlranger,

I am just using the Dell power supply brick with a baby-sized Xantrex 75 watt inverter. It seems to work great so far. I also have an AC outlet under the dash overhead cabinets that I could use, but I'd have to do something about the dangling wires.

I'm suprised you don't have (or can't see) the OBD connector. Yes- it does look exactly the same as the one in the rear by the engine (at least it looks the same on mine.) I would give Winnie a call and ask them. Have you looked in the front of the coach behind the "hood?"

Good question about the Jotto Desk wiggle... I don't know since we haven't driven the coach post-installation. I suspect there will be some movement, but we'll see. I'll let you know - we are taking the coach out for a few days in about a week.

John

Old 06-13-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks, John. Getting a small inverter may be the best option since I have not been able to find a car power adaptor that is compatible with the 1150 Inspiron, even from Dell. Probably cheaper, also.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It took me several days of off and on searching to find my connector. Part of the reason was the fact that I was looking for something with a cap on it and mine was missing the cap. If the '02 is the same as the '04 there is a carpeted boxed area with an open top by your left foot. If you look forward to the firewall from the top of the box the connector will be facing up, attached to the firewall. I actually felt around with my hand and found it that way since there are a couple of harnesses in the way.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Paul.
I have searched and searched for my connecter and after reading your post I finally found it just where you said your's was.

Are these forums great or what?

JoeT
Old 06-17-2005, 06:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ok, guys. I ordered my Jotto Desk and VMSpc yesterday.

JoeT
Old 06-17-2005, 07:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeT:
Ok, guys. I ordered my Jotto Desk and VMSpc yesterday.
JoeT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>YeeHa - Suggestion - mount the Jotto Desk and then show it to the DW

I'm real anxious to try out the desk and VMSpc.. we are going camping next week for a few days so I get to play with the toys. DW says she wants to drive to the park to get some practice driving so I can mess with VMSpc

Let us know how the install goes.

John

Old 06-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

John,
I enjoy your zeal and passion for your new rig. We have purchased a new Vectra this year as well! I have my Jotto Desk from our last rig. I am curious how yo handled mounting the desk pedestal on the ceramic tile. I miss having my Co-Pilot and VMSpc right next to me like my old rig. I await your input. Thanks and happy motorhoming.

03 L200 Saturn Toad
GreyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum! When I get into something, I really dig in

Having had to make holes in ceramic tiles before, I wasn't too concerned. I used a 1/4" carbide bit in an old (I mean old - I think Moses used one like it on his way to the promised land) hammer drill. (Didn't need the hammer drill but it made it go faster)

I didn't know what was under the tile - that was the big mystery. Turns out to be a plywood underlayment. The only problem was that the included screws were too short. I used two or two and one half inchers. I used stainless screws in case that area ever gets wet.

The Jotto Desk install gets its test this week! DW is driving and I get to play with VMSpc

John

Old 07-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It seems to me that when driving a RV we need to pay attention to the driving and not the "toys" which are a distraction...no matter how good the co-pilot may be.

Watching a laptop display of engine performance and parameters is more dangerous than cell phones when driving.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

The Jotto Desk is for the co-pilot. You are correct - pilot eyes need to be on the road.

John

Old 07-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

The co-pilots eyes should also be on the road.

Using a laptop, mapping software, engine monitoring software or whatevver is no different that fixing ones hair in the mirror, talking on a phone, drink or eating, putting on lipstick ot any other activity that detracts from the highway.

My humble opinion only.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #17

John:
I enjoyed visiting your home page with pictures. Beautiful color coach you folks picked. Also, I find your coments helpful and interesting.
Best regards...
Old 07-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The co-pilots eyes should also be on the road.
My humble opinion only. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for this valuable advice Tom. I am going to rip the entire thing out. You have convinced me that we will die unless we rid ourselves of this evil device.

--John

Old 07-04-2005, 08:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

John,
I hope you are being facetious...The Jotto Desk with Co-Pilot and VmSpec are invaluable tools in our emerging electronic age. Why is accessing information from a CRT/LCD screen any different than monitoring you're analog instrument panel? Removal of the Jotto desk would be tantamount to removal of a "heads up" display in Stealth bomber.
I urge our seemingly technologically challenged forum members to reconsider their parochial views on what is prudent use of digital instrumentaton! I refer your detractors to Silver Leaf Electronics...They can peruse the growing array of "software" solutions for equipment monitoring...
To you from a former Greyhound driverm,Chief Information Officer/Software Engineer/Instrumentation and Controls Engineer.

03 L200 Saturn Toad
GreyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

As I recall, my driver training taught me not to stare straight ahead, but to constantly scan between ahead, the right side, the rear view mirror, the gauges,and the left side. The VMSPC is a major leap ahead of the analog gauges peeking out through the steering wheel. Color coded 3/4" high digits across the top of the screen are instantly recognizable. My laptop has now become my instrument panel,and its heads up with nothing blocking the view.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote