Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

John welcome back , as to speakers in rear ceiling area, I was able to run two wires thru cabinets on the passenger side to micro cabinet than fish ceiling across to spk locations.
If you have kitchen slide on pass.side could pose a problem . My amp is on the dog house under dash. Built shelf mounted to it. All wiring runs up A channels to ceiling level. Tried to fish ceiling thru center of coach next to air ducts, to much blockage. Dropped lighting to give it a try, for access thru ceiling, no go. Good luck.
'007'
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Hi all new to the group but just had to jump in on the computer rag.

As a police officer of 22 yrs both sides are right but the fact is this I drive a one man unit in this unit I have the normal auto panel as you all do to watch I also have the computer screen that blocks the am fm radio with keyboard over my units emer light switches I have the dept radio and mic and siren box all in a console in my crown vic between the seats. all police units are set up this way and if we can drive the units and still get there in one pice one small laptop that the co-pilot is looking at is not going to make the driver crash so lets just keep track of what we are doing and all enjoy the rv's we have

Mark
Old 08-01-2005, 11:47 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

True - true....

Welcome to the forums Mark!

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Hey John: Am I right in that the "free VM Spc software" touted on their site isn't worth a hoot without their $395 package that basically consists of the adapter to connect my laptop to the diagnostic plug? I mean I don't mind buying a $30-$40 adapter, but $400 just to feed my techie need for info makes me think twice. I know we've all got big bucks in our rigs, but still.... did you go for the $400 package or did you find a 6 or 9 pin adapter from the diagnostic plug to your USB port that would allow you to use their "free" software? Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Exactamundo! The 'free' software is useless without the 400$ JIB (the interface box and cable). I bought Silverleaf's package because I know of no other system that will do what Silverleaf does. As far as I know, you cannot just buy an OBD connector and hook it up to the PC without some electronics (the "JIB.")

They are suppliers to very high-end coach builders - I see the 400$ as a poor man's version of a 3k$ "glass dash."

Is this really necessary? No - of course not. As a guy that likes to be informed of what's going on with the coach's engine (and mpg, distance to empty, etc) AND since the Freightliner's Info Center is virtually useless, I like it and think it is worth 400 bucks.

--John

Old 10-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #46
Winnebago Owner

John what model jotto desk did you get is it the rv/large truck one or just the car on I am about to take the jump and wonder if the rv one for 203.00 is any better than the car one for 163.00? anyone have this mount in there 2000 Adventurer? if so would like to see how you mounted it I am thinking of mounting it to doghouse on the side or top but would like to see how others have mounted theres.
Thanks
Mark
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Old 10-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

Hi Mark - we have the RV-large truck model. The deciding factor was the height of the Jotto Desk. This particular model mounts on the floor; I don't have any idea about any installations on an Adventurer. If you go to our web page (http://www.janeandjohn.org) and click on the RV page, you will see a link for the Jotto Desk install. We just screwed it to the floor and it is plenty stable. Let me know if you have any more questions.

John

Old 05-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #48
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Hi Mark - we have the RV-large truck model. The deciding factor was the height of the Jotto Desk. This particular model mounts on the floor; I don't have any idea about any installations on an Adventurer. If you go to our web page (http://www.janeandjohn.org) and click on the RV page, you will see a link for the Jotto Desk install. We just screwed it to the floor and it is plenty stable. Let me know if you have any more questions.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

Found this link for a more meat and potatoes laptop desk priced at $29 to $99. I kind of got a kick out of the talking head although the wife and kids thought it a bit creepy.

http://www.autolaptoplinkinc.com/index.html

Regards,

Neil
Old 05-07-2006, 02:56 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

Neil - I don't know about the laptop desk, but that web site is just horrible. They have broken most of good design principals for web sites.

The base mounting plate looks pretty small and I don't understand how they designed it with no 'holes'. We needed a fairly tall mount for ours - the top of the front edge desk platform is 26" from the floor (or it is 26" to the bottom of the laptop - the laptop is angled down.)

John

Old 05-07-2006, 04:26 AM   #50
Winnebago Owner

I just returned from a trip, useing my laptop,fastened to the jotto desk. Bought a small 300 watt inverter, w/ a 12 volt plug. Pluged into the dash outlet,laptop had its power, have a Dell too. My sat navigation software worked great, which I installed on the laptop. The Jotto desk, fastened to the floor was a breeze to to do. Held the laptop very secure. Why look for the hard way to get power, when the 12volt cig lighter is very conveient to use.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #51
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Neil - I don't know about the laptop desk, but that web site is just horrible. They have broken most of good design principals for web sites.

The base mounting plate looks pretty small and I don't understand how they designed it with no 'holes'. We needed a fairly tall mount for ours - the top of the front edge desk platform is 26" from the floor (or it is 26" to the bottom of the laptop - the laptop is angled down.)

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

Agreed my boss would drop kick me out the door if I wrote an interface like that. The talking head is almost like a train wreck though and kinda entertaining until the novelty wears off. WEB isn't my occupation though, I write analytical software and data extraction/conversion interfaces.

The pipe flange bolts to two forged clamps that fit the mounting rail of the front passenger seat when installed in a car or van.

I still may give the $69 model a try. I would mount it using one of the dog house bolts on my 95 Vectra and consider a riv-nut inserted into the steel floorboard or a three eight inch thick piece of barstock below the floor with a five sixteenth inch threaded hole for a second.

Regards,

Neil