Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Permanent Shelf on Interior of Exterior Wall?

Been searching but not finding anything specific to this. We are enjoying (such as it is right now) spending time in our new 1706FB parked in the yard. While checking things out, the wife realized she would like a small shelf on her side of the bed for reading glasses and odds and ends at night.

I'm curious if the glue hooks or similar solutions will work to hold up a shelf that won't bear much weight on the wallpaper or if there is a more permanent solution. Since it's the front or the right side wall of the trailer we're talking about, I'm a bit hesitant, shall we say, to drilling holes to mount a shelf. And I'm not fond of the long-term sticking power - or lack thereof - of the adhesive on the back of velcro strips.

Curious how others may have solved this. I see plenty of info where people are adding/adapting to existing shelves, but nothing on this as yet.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bob
Old 04-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We find the "Command " strips and hooks do work pretty well on our walls and they are a type adhesive which does peel off without damage if we change our mind. Some depends on how smooth or rough the wallpaper, though. We use them in several places and the main problem area is the shower as it is kind of "pebbled" and takes a fair amount of beating as we fumble around in the wet shower looking for the rag.
Command strips come in lots of different versions from hooks to flat to hang pictures and we find them lots of places.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We need to do the same thing, would like to have a shelf on the side of the refrigerator wall.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

For small stuff like glasses, tissues, earrings, etc. a small plastic basket like a pencil holder fits for us and the Command strips work well for that weight on what our walls have. Once we got into using them we found all kinds of weird things to use them for like hooks near the entry door for the key to the outside compartment so I don't have to step inside to snag them. Hook for the TV remote so it's not always "lost" down in the sofas. Just go wild and know that it is not a permanent hole in the wall to fix. Our six inch digital clock hangs on them.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Command makes a number of small plastic bins and containers that work well for lighter items.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/bat...uctId=11005684

For drink cups, cans and water bottles we used heavy duty Velcro and or VHB tape to install these next to each side of the bed. We have thin shelves next to the bed but it’s too easy to knock a drink off the shelf in the night.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Org...SABEgKuyPD_BwE