Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Performance Question larger diesels

So I'm curious on some performance on like 39' Do you have any issue going up decent size hills?

Has anyone put in a tuner and if so which one are you using and did you see a difference?

Thank you in advance
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #2

It's all about hp/weight.

If you search on www.IRV2.com you will find much written on this subject. I myself am very happy with my Ag-Diesel performance module, and now my 350HP-ISC-CAPS is producing 420HP; and my max weight is 32,000 lbs. Therefore, my HP/Weight ratio is now 420/32,000 = 0.0131 and I find this ratio much more acceptable vs stock.

I also recommend you add a Pyrometer/EGT as it will change the way you drive... by keeping you under 1250F/1350F when you demand more HP... and when you are on cruise control traveling the highways which is perhaps more risky, because you would not think your temperatures can reach 1500F, but they can!

You will see what I mean when you install an EGT gauge, and I highly recommend you use a digital Pyrometer/EGT. I also found GlowShift make both a PSI gauge and an EGT... and I mounted mine by my left knee... side wall... which is where you want it... out of your main view so you don't get any distractions during the day or night.

You also will want to look into upgrading to a FASS or AirDog fuel pump, which is something you can also search for on IRV2.com. However, I don't have experience with 2009 models, but I think the same principles apply. I.e., the Cummins injection system barely provides enough fuel VACUUM PRESSURE to operate under normal conditions.

This is the issue: Fuel cools your injection pump; and not enough fuel leads to early injection pump failure and ECM failure too! So when you add a FASS or Airdog accessory 12V pump it ensures your injection pump sees positive fuel pressure vs. vacuum (negative) fuel pressure.

Those of us with pre-2006 ISC and ISL motors are very much aware of this problem and solution, and I think it applies to all Cummins models, but I'm not sure?

I also do not know if CAT has fuel delivery concerns like Cummins motors. ...But maybe someone else can address this point?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo & Exhaust.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	176103   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	176104  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGT View Post
So I'm curious on some performance on like 39' Do you have any issue going up decent size hills?

Has anyone put in a tuner and if so which one are you using and did you see a difference?

Thank you in advance
I have had a 2003 40' MH with Cummins, a 2005 26' Class C Ford V10, a 2006 29' Class A Ford V10 and now a 2006 36' Class A Cat over the last 13 years. With all but the Class C we towed a 4500 pound vehicle.

I have not had any problems going up major mountains in the western USA.

I am careful to gear down as I start to go up the mountains to keep my RPM's up so I don't lug the engine down. With the diesel that pretty much means keeping the RPM's in the 2200 range. I may be down into 3rd gear at 35-40mph. I have even been in 1st gear at 15mph on 10* climb with sharp turns that I would not drive at 30-40 mph.

Bottom line, I keep from being in a rush in the mountains, just take my time, watch the temperature gauge and just climb up the mountain.

One thing I am very careful about, is to drop out of 6th into 5th as I start a slow long incline. As it gets steeper I get down into 4th.

I have not found a engine/transmission computer that downshifts soon enough to keep the engine temp from climbing to around 205* on the diesel before it downshifts. By then your rig is behind the heat curve and it makes it harder to keep it from climbing into the 215*-230* or higher.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Would agree with both of you. I foud once the coach did a regen on the way back or at least I feel that was what happen. The coach was a different animal. Dont think I explained but heading down to Az from Illinois I developed soot in the interior. Welll I had just bought the coach and he said the maintenance was done. Well the air cleaner gauge was pegged and the after turbo pipe fell off. So the clamp was on backwards so I fixed that. 35 miles down the road the tail pipe rusted off blah blah that shut the motor dwon with to much back pressure. Fats forward finally make it to southern Az and replaced the air filter and fixed the exhaust. On the way home keeping the coach at about 2000-2200 rpm I blieve she Regen'd and there was a difference in power and temp. Also the check engine light no longer came on at 213 up a hill.

Thank god I have a auto facility and can work on cars or we would of been screwed because Coach-Net left us hanging
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGT View Post

Thank you in advance
I have had no issues with our 400 cummings Bago Tour 40'
Old 12-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Ten years of driving my 340 Cummins around the country, towing a jeep. Yes it slows down a bit on steep hills, but I still pass my share of trucks going up. 29k for RV, 4k for Jeep, so 33k total is still better than the 100 pounds per horsepower it is designed for.

I keep it in cruise control most of the time, and it works for me, on the steepest, it may get down to 43, shift into 3rd, back to 45, shift into 4th, and back and forth for a while, but I get over the hills just fine. Other than that, it will run much faster than I ever should want to go. (once or twice pushed 85 with no problem, darn farm wagons to pass)

I am not in any hurry, I live in my RV, I just let the world pass by in my picture window.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I was told to replace the fuel filter at every oil change, turns out the fuel filter gets clogged before a oil change and robbs the engine of power. I can’t believe that Loves, TA and Flying J have bad fuel, evidently they all have crap in their fuel.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:15 AM   #8

It's not bad fuel -- most likely!!!

It's not bad fuel -- most likely!!!

I do not have a USA-Fuel Distribution Map, but I would like to find one to confirm my beliefs. If anyone has a map like this please share it.

For example:

* I don't care for California diesel, and not just because it is so much more expensive.

* I dislike fuels in the "Corn-Belt" more! Places like Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin too where they seem to be experimenting with next generation diesel fuels.

* I have no problem running biofuel at 15% or less. This is partly do to the fact my 2004 Vintage Cummins-ISC350 has a CAPS injection pump and bio-diesel has more lubricity.

* I use to use Howe's fuel additives, but I'm switching to PS-Diesel for everyday driving; and occasionally I will use "Hot Shots".

THIS IS IMPORTANT: Your engine is talking to you all the time. And when you think your fuel filter is the source of your problem, chances are it's not.

From my experience, just because changing your fuel filter does fix your performance problem -- what might be happening at the same time is that you may have a "border line" fuel deliver problem going on too!

Plus, too many owners WANT TO BELIEVE they got bad fuel, when changing the fuel filter cures your engine performance, coughs, and sputter moments, because it does! ...And the last thing we want to think about is all the time and money it cost to have these engines worked on by a professional mechanic (or not so professional mechanic). So when a filter fixes the problem... we don't ask any more questions... and most of us thank God it's not a more serious issue and go about are way for another 5,000 miles, or until the same condition repeats itself.

My point it that your problem is probably not bad fuel, because your filter may only be 1/3 full. But that 1/3 creates enough blockage to negatively affect the fuel line suction (vacuum)... aka fuel delivery to your injection pump.

I can't speak for CAT engines, but I can say with certainty, Cummins has a poorly designed fuel delivery system. And that's why so many owners have installed a FASS or AirDog electric fuel pump.

You can google this on IRV2.com and find out more about this.

So if you are changing fuel filter often: Listen to your engine is telling you and find out where your fuel delivery system is sucking air into your lines! ...Because this can lead to premature injection pump failure! ...Why?

Answer: Proper fuel flow both lubricates and cools your injection pump. And if your engine stalls at idle or coughs/sputters going up a hill, and you find it's even worse when you have only a quarter-tank of fuel, you know you might have a more serious fuel delivery problem. I.e., it's not bad fuel!!!

Here's another telltale sign it's not bad fuel: Let's say you have been changing your filters every 15,000 miles; and then you engine coughs so you change your filters at 10,000 miles; and then next time this happens you only put 7,000 miles on your engine between fuel filter changes. ...And now you are asking WTF?

...All this occurs over 20,000 miles or more of use or more, which is 3-5 years for most of us RV owners and we just keep changing fuel filters, and we don't want to believe it's anything more than "bad fuel." ...Well know you now it's not!

As for changing your filters at every oil change: That's just a mantra to help you remember to do it at 15,000 miles. ...And I guarantee you Truckers do not do that.

Of course, RVers are not Truckers... and our RV sit.

When I store my RV I use a algaecide and PS-Diesel and I also store my RV with a full tank. ...If you do this, I see no reason to change your fuel filters sooner than 15,000 miles or at 4-5 years, whichever comes first!

* Paper element filters can break down over time, but it's not huge concern. So when I read about owners who change their oil and fuel filters every year, no matter how many miles they put on the coach; I think that's just their way of saying: "I love you!"
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobstlmo View Post
I was told to replace the fuel filter at every oil change, turns out the fuel filter gets clogged before a oil change and robbs the engine of power. I can’t believe that Loves, TA and Flying J have bad fuel, evidently they all have crap in their fuel.
The guy wanted you to spend more money. Diesel fuel is exceedingly dirty and it does not matter where you buy it as it is coming out of the same refineries. At least it is a lot cleaner in the states than in Europe although cetane rating is higher in Europe.

Fuel filters do not last nearly as long as with a gas engine but the filter life is based on gallons of diesel that have been filtered and not how many miles are driven. My diesel truck would get anywhere from 10 to 18 mpg depending on how much I was towing and my payload and the terrain and the amount of wind and air drag taking place.

At 10 mpg the filter was filtering nearly double the amount of fuel as at 18 mpg. So I go by the amount of fuel consumed to determine when to have a new filter installed. Important to know that a fuel filter as with an air filter is the least effective when brand new and before any media loading has taken place.

Where people do cause themselves problems is in installing a double filter system and dropping the fuel pressure to the engine. This is when a lift pump addition is needed to compensate for the additional filtration.

Diesel prices are higher in California as the state charges a higher sales tax on diesel fuel and tries to recover some portion of the cost to repair the roads damaged by the big rigs. The fees for big rigs does not begin to cover the cost to repair the damage they do to the road and if you drive places where there is a lot of truck traffic it is easy to spot the damage on the right lane and to even see where fully loaded trucks are traveling from a plant and which side they use to return without their load.

Taxpayers heavily subsidize the trucking industy both in terms of road damage and the health costs of air pollution that puts millions into the hospitals for asthma each year (more than $15 billion in hospital ER visits alone in the USA).
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel