Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Peeling clear coat

The clear coat on the fiberglass at the edge of the roof is peeling on my 2014 Vista sowing a milky white color. Short of sanding it down and repainting, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to address it?

Thank you!
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A picture would be helpful but I think you're looking at some paint work. Sure would be nice if this was covered with a warranty. I've done quite a bit of painting over the years and have to say these new water based paints just don't last as long as some other systems no longer used. I am assuming yours was painted with a water based paint since you said clear coat.

Some suppliers do sell base coat clear coat mixed to match your needs in SPRAY CANS with excellent results. This does allow the DIY guy a chance to try at an affordable price.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:24 AM   #3
Site Team

I had that. I did sand it a bit and bought some "2K Clear Coat" off Amazon in a rattle can. It's a 2-part clear that you have to mix, not cheap and requires a respirator. I just (wet)sanded down as best I could chipping off the flaking clear coat and re-covered it with the 2K clear. It's no where near factory or even "bad body work" quality, but it's remediated and resealed. Most of the damage on mine is on the top part of the paint above the side-rail/ roof line and not visible from the ground so I didn't really care that it's not perfect more that it'll stop peeling.