Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

For whatever reason both of my mirrors have scratches on them.
Any ideas to cover the scratches and if repainting the mirrors is the answer does anyone have a recommendation for paint?
Velvac, Winnie thru Lichtsinn has not any matching paint for them. Your choice or any ideas other than repainting to cover the scratches??? Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

For whatever reason both of my mirrors have scratches on them.
Any ideas to cover the scratches and if repainting the mirrors is the answer does anyone have a recommendation for paint?
Velvac, Winnie thru Lichtsinn has not any matching paint for them. Your choice or any ideas other than repainting to cover the scratches??? Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I painted mine with Dupont Centari acrylic enamel and they look pretty good (photos somewhere in the photo section). I had the auto paint store mix to match the lower trim.

I removed the mirrors (was easy), sanded them well with 800 grit then 1000 grit paper, cleaned them well with Prep Sol, then sprayed them with a small touch up paint gun. Three wet coats, allow the paint to flash 5 minutes between coats. Wet sanded and polished them about 3 days later and they look pretty fine.

So far, the paint is staying on and bugs seem easy to remove.

I thought about replacing them with the chrome Velvacs but once I saw the price, I decided to paint them instead.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I was parked next to a new Mountain Air with chrome mirrors and the owner had put black tape on the mirrors arms to stop the sun reflections. I think I will keep the matt black and put up with the bug juice.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">does anyone have a recommendation for paint? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Since I know where you are ...I suggest you talk with the guys at Aero Colors at 205 Redoubt Rd in Yorktown, 438-6625. Mike was the guy I worked through there. They are basically right across US 17 and about a block behind from VA RV, and are the guys VA RV out-sourced my coach to when I needed some paint repair under warranty. They did a great job of matching colors on mine, and also on the paint repairs. I went back to them later to paint some compartment door latches I had to replace. You could have them do the paint work, or just get them to match the colors and get some touch-up paint through them.

Now if I could just find some 1994 BMW Cordova Red touch-up paint!!!
Old 04-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the replies. Gary, I bet your mirrors look neat. I am looking forward to seeing them at Walnut Hill.

Paul thanks for the tip about the folks right aroung the corner. I will give them a call and see what they can do..One of these days we will have to meet up.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:03 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, not sure where you'll be the first weekend of June,but HERE is a link to a "weekender" we're having at Walnut Hills in Staunton.
Would love to have you guys!
Ichntogo,smlranger,AdrianLee,glenda1908 and myself from the Winnie forum will be there with a few other forum members as well....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Jim - this comment isn't useful but it is sort of funny. When the coach was fairly new and we were fairly inexperienced drivers, I got a little too close to the umbrella shading the operator of a paving machine. The umbrella was hanging out a little into the single narrowed lane I was driving.

It really was very tight and I should have slowed down to a crawl while passing the machine.

Anyway at about 40 mph my driver's side mirror wacked a rib of the umbrella scaring me, the copilot and I'm sure the operator of the machine ; the mirror housing now has a nice gouge in it as a reminder of my skill level at the time.

Just for grins I agreed to let Lazydays (we were there for service) give me an estimate on making it like new - get this - it was about $400. I probably could have bought a new mirror and have it painted for that price

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

John, I can relate to that. My coach loves diamond shaped highway signs that are close to the right edge. Also it does not like to turn as sharp as I want it to.
It must be a "she" cause I always say "C'mon sweetheart miss that sign." and it always does what it wants.
Ought to have something like shoe polish we could use on the mirrors.
Thanks for the tale of woe...Jim
Old 04-15-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the first weekend of June, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds like fun, but we're headed the other direction at that point ...now in Alabama, will be in Albuquerque NM apx 1-25 June.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

If you have a black mat finish on your MH mirrows I have successfully used a product called "Black Back". The product comes in a squeeze bottle and is kind of like liquid black shoe polish. The product is primarily for car body trim and bumpers that have a plastic or rubber finish. My MH mirrors look new again.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Where can you buy this material/who make it?
Thanks for the info.

I found it at Advanced Auto it is Back to Black ,several manufactureres make it. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Correction on the Black Back product. The stuff I used is actually Turtle Wax "Black Chrome". I went out to the garage to check my "Product Line". I must have ONE Gazillion car care creams, lotions and dapilatories! grins
Old 04-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

What I got was Mother's Back to Black $5.71 at Advanced Auto. Covered up the scratches nicely and made the mirrors much blacker and shinier. Some of the scratches can still be seen but not nearly as noticable.
Used it on the wiper arms and blade holders and they show up much nicer too.Thanks for the help. I can always depend on you guys..Jim