Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Paint peeling and fading around perimeter of roof...

The paint which goes from the sidewalls up and over the radiused edge of the roof on my 2006 Itasca Meridian has started to peel in some spots and is fading in others. Has anyone here tried to touch up the clearcoat on the roof area? How did it work? How did you get the area ready for paint?
What brand/type of clearcoat did you use...?
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is a very common problem for several mfg'ers. I had mine repaired by a dealer
Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If I had any sense I would do that too. The trouble is, I used to do a lot of painting when I had my own sign company and I kind of like to mess with it myself. I even painted an entire motorhome once.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

well you unit was painted by CDI using Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 I belive they were a little sparse on clear when they got to the top of the coach,you should be able to scuff with a scothbrite (fine) basecoat and then clear making sure you get enough mils of coverage on the clear is the secret to kepping it from peeling.this is a good product and if applied properly will not peel.JMHO
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'm curious, did the dealer repaint the base coat first, then re-clear the area? I was told my a body shop that the base coat had to be fully sanded and repainted for the clear to adhere properly. I was quoted $750.00 to repaint the bad area from the roofline down to the sidewall. Not much paint, but a lot of labor and climbing ladders.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had the upper front cap and curved upper side closure panels repainted and clear coated about two and a half years ago as the clear was pealing off the front cap and the side closure panels and the paint was fading. Seems to be a common problem with the early full body paint coaches.

The repaint/clear looks as good as it did when the work was done. I had the work done by an independent service provider and the cost was about $1,600.

Good luck.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I talked to an associate who has painted cars for years. He is up to snuff on all the latest technology. He suggested sanding the offending clearcoat with 600 or finer throughout the entire roof edge. Then (are you ready for this?) re-applying the clear coat on that specific area with a foam brush or roller! Since the painted area has a molding on the bottom and the non-painted roof on top, you would have no blends or edges to worry about. Also, the area is 12' up from view and would not show marks from brushing or rolling. You would have to run a piece of masking tape on each edge of course. I have sprayed clear coat for spot repair several times and I don't see why this wouldn't work. No masking or overspray. No fuss, no muss. I'm going to give it a try on a section and see how it looks. I'll let you know.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Cardiffman, I am really curious how this works for you. Plz keep us posted as a lot of us have the same problem, me being one.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

A friend of mine just had his redone by CDI in Forest City. Cost-$300.00.
Ecodriver05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
did the dealer repaint the base coat first, then re-clear the area?
Yes, they did re-do both base coat and clearcoat.

I have since sent pics of some clearcoat damage on the front (from 3m vinly) to a mh paint place in Nacogdoches TX. He said in some cases the clear can be repaired/redone w/o redoing the base ...guess it depends on the situation/condition of theaint and perhaps skill of the painter.

Tags
paint, roof