Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2023, 09:47 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Oversite on my part could have been bad

I am rather attentive to maintenance on our 2016 Adventurer 38 Q, and spend a lot of time working on it. Its my retirement hobby and it keeps me off the streets.

Over the 7 year we've owned it I regularly keep an eye on rust, primarily I stalk it around the compartment framing where it seems to crop up.

But I missed something that was somewhat visually hidden and I had not been paying attention too. I visually check around the sides of propane tank , especially whenever I turn the propane valve on and off.

I have been working on another maintenance project that requires me to access the rear of the water heater compartment. While crawling around to access that area today I noticed severe flaking and bubbling of the paint on the bottom of the propane tank- not visible except if one is underneath looking up at it. The amount and depth of rust I found was shocking. Much was hidden by loose paint on the tank that I wire brushed off. I was surprised at how deeply pitted the rust was- more than surface rust-especially on a pressurized tank full of propane!

Most times when doing my regular rust patrol I find surface rust and I treat it with Permatex rust coatings followed by a couple coats or Rustoleum.

It was pretty easy to see how this damage occurred. The tank sits directly behind the dually rear wheels on the drivers side thus catching lots of spray and road debris flying up from the wheels. Over time the paint coating simply gave up, and bubbled leaving water trapped between the tank and the paint.

Based on what I found this had apparently been going on for a long time.

I've worked, treated and painted the area, but rest assured I will be spending lots of time keeping an eye on this area. I know this is not the end of maintenance for this area.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you've pinned the right cause!
Rocks flying up behind the wheels is a definite hazard to knock most any paint off the tank if they can reach it!
If you had not noticed it, the first "alert" you got might have been smelling propane or noticing that a tank went dry pretty quick!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yea I was really surprised at how the paint remained intact yet water had gotten up underneath hiding the rust. As bad as the pitting was I wondered if the tank would have had a catastrophic rupture?

(Oh it was the passenger side- not the drivers side)
Old 05-23-2023, 12:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Would a mud flap extension help?
Old 05-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The mud flaps are pretty low already. In fact I'd worry that if they were lower they'd scrub and kick up more debris, I think about all I can do is maintain a watchful eye and keep the area treated and painted. Maybe I could fashion some sort of shield around the bottom of the tank?
Old 05-23-2023, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'd do as you stated, wire brush off all loose rust, then prep and paint with POR 15 or similar product.
Obviously the tank was not properly prepped before painting at the mfgr.
If it ever develops a leak it will be a pin-hole, and the leak will be obvious, as it will be liquid and have a strong odor.
If that ever happens(which I doubt), park on high ground and call the fire dept.If parked do not start engine or use any ignition source, turn off all appliances
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:03 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Good points thanks!
Old 05-29-2023, 08:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Undercoat

I masked off upper 2/3rds of tank and sprayed truck bedliner on the bottom for stone chip protection.
chickenman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Actually, your "...attentive to maintenance" keeps you ON the streets! LOL! Sounds like ur on the right track. I like Ospho (sp?) rust treatment too. Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote