Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2001 Itasca 35U. A few weeks ago, the compartment over the driver seat opened up and dropped a little portable radio on me. Luckily it hit my head so no damage done . Today, while going over a very rough road under construction in the big city of Beaufort NC, the door over the sink popped open and dumped dishes everywhere.

I've been concerned about doors popping open over new grandson whilst in his car seat or other passengers and am wondering if others have added latches of some kind. The wood is beautiful so would like to have something tasteful. Was going to see if Woodworkers Supply had some "screw" attachment in brass that could be added but wondered if you kind folks had already solved this problem?

Thanks in advance! Steve
Old 03-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

2001 Itasca 35U. A few weeks ago, the compartment over the driver seat opened up and dropped a little portable radio on me. Luckily it hit my head so no damage done . Today, while going over a very rough road under construction in the big city of Beaufort NC, the door over the sink popped open and dumped dishes everywhere.

I've been concerned about doors popping open over new grandson whilst in his car seat or other passengers and am wondering if others have added latches of some kind. The wood is beautiful so would like to have something tasteful. Was going to see if Woodworkers Supply had some "screw" attachment in brass that could be added but wondered if you kind folks had already solved this problem?

Thanks in advance! Steve
Old 03-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You might run a search on line for RV Cabinet latch and see what pops up.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Steve you don't say what chassis you have in your profile and how hard are your tires inflated. Have you ever had your coach weight? It sounds like you are jaring everything in your coach when traveling down the road. Maybe you can soften the ride for yourself. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Steve you don't say what chassis you have in your profile and how hard are your tires inflated. Have you ever had your coach weight? It sounds like you are jaring everything in your coach when traveling down the road. Maybe you can soften the ride for yourself. "007" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I bought my 95 Vectra the ride got very hard after having it serviced because they inflated the tires to the max sidewall rating of 115 lbs instead of the 65 lbs specified by Winnebago. Reducing the tire pressure 40 lbs which matched what was required for the weight of the coach made a BIG difference.

If you still need latches there is always a hidden child safty latch as an option. There are the small inexpensive spring steel ones that let the doors open only enough to insert a finger to release them.

There are some fully locking latches that are invisible and require a magnetic key to release them too. Check out the following link: http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=119&itemTyp...uctID=119&change=117

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-30-2006, 02:16 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for that web site on baby locks! That should do the trick and not mar appearance.

I'll check the inflation thing too. I think both incidents were abberations but ones that could happen again on very rough roads. We want to go to Mexico so it might be a good thing for the back roads there. In the first case, I don't think I had the door closed well since there's nothing heavy in that compartment. Yesterday's was the roughest road ever seen...only going 5MPH and it shook everything!!! Again, main concern is for new grandson sitting under one of these.

Great ideas! Thanks! Steve
Old 03-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Steve you don't say what chassis you have in your profile and how hard are your tires inflated. Have you ever had your coach weight? It sounds like you are jaring everything in your coach when traveling down the road. Maybe you can soften the ride for yourself. "007" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a brain...inspiration...today while thinking over your reply. I realized that the coach was very very light! We took a LOT of stuff out of it after our 3 week journey. Since I was taking it to the dealer for some minor repairs, we took even more stuff out than normal and we were empty/low on all liquids. Plus did not have the 3 big dogs we travel with and my petite bride of several decades was also not aboard. While the road was very rough, I think the coach was so light that the jarring went undampened. Still want to do the latches though. Thanks again for all the ideas. Steve