Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Outside mirror rough adjustment

My MH has the overhead-mounted side mirrors, don't know the brand. One of them has vibrated from being seen through the windshield to now being seen through the driver-side window. It will move with wind currents between the two positions. I removed the hex-head screw and cam lock, moved the mirror back to the seen-through-windshield position and replaced the cam lock and screw-does not work-still moves in the wind.
I remember the service technician saying that is the rough adjustment, but can't remember anything else. What is the proper adjustment procedure for these mirrors that mount at the roof-line?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Your , rough adjustment , isn't similar to mine, but I think the first step , would be to identify the mirror manufacturer.
Have a look at this web page to see if you can identify your brand.

Home

If these are not your mirrors, Call Winny to identify the brand. Repair parts may be available.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks Skip, no luck. those mirrors mount below the windows, mine mount immediately aft of the front cab corners, very near the roof-line, and hang down. They are all-black plastic outside, no identification whatsoever. They are on a hinge at the mounting bracket that will swing nearly 180*, then lock into position (supposedly). I know they are available, Camping World replaced one under their sales warranty. I just hate to pay them $125/hr to make a adjustment. I'll grab my VIN and coach numbers and call Winnebago owner relations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Set screw

If I understand what your saying the arm that the mirror is mounted on has rotated. Right?

If so there may be a couple of set screws on the pivot point of the arm. They will be under the plastic caps. Usually takes an Allen wrench to tighten them.

Mine are mounted below the window but it's most likely a similar design.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hello, Ray ...good to meet you recently in Sedalia!

We should have the same mirrors ...at least they do look the same. I have had to fix the "moved by the wind" problem on the pax side a few times. I haven't seen a hex head screw mechanism. On mine, right by the pivot point on the mh there is a plastic cap that can be popped off the arm covering. That reveals a pair of large nuts. One tightens the arm down, and the other serves as a lock-nut against the first nut, so getting it snugged up requires two open-end wrenches.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to pictures of our MH mirrors: That's identical to our MH, just not actually the one we own.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Hello, Ray ...good to meet you recently in Sedalia!

We should have the same mirrors ...at least they do look the same. I have had to fix the "moved by the wind" problem on the pax side a few times. I haven't seen a hex head screw mechanism. On mine, right by the pivot point on the mh there is a plastic cap that can be popped off the arm covering. That reveals a pair of large nuts. One tightens the arm down, and the other serves as a lock-nut against the first nut, so getting it snugged up requires two open-end wrenches.
Likewise Paul! Thanks for the insight, I'll give it another look when DW and I recover from the flu. We're both improving at this point.
The only screw of any type I found was beneath the arm, near the piviot point. Remove the hex-socket cap screw and it allows a metal "cam" looking piece to fall out. It did nothing to control movement though. Half-way across the arm, on the bottom, is a plastic plug. I removed that to find an empty hole, so I just replaced the plug and dismissed it as anything important.

I will try to remove that plastic cap you describe tomorrow. Right now I've got to sign off and go run a batch of persimmons through the food mill to remove the seeds.Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

As I recall, the "cap" is on the vertical surface of the hinge area ...a curved cover a couple of inches long that pops off, perhaps with screw driver assistance. The first time I had a problem the dealer had to call Winnebago to figure it out.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Just returned from the RV garage. Everything was exactly as you described Paul. The mirror is very easy to adjust on the hinge (rough adjustment). Thanks again for your advice!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem, but I couldn't get yhe two locking
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

[Hit send by mistake]
I had the same problem, but I couldn't get the two locking nuts tight. So finally I got the crescent wrench on the nut and hit the wrench with a hammer! It's stayed in place ever since!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Ya, I tried adjustable wrenches too. They were too fat for the nut width to use 2 at once. I finally found a metric wrench that fit- can't remember the size- the top nut, and used the adjustable on the bottom nut. That reminds me, better put those wrenches in the MH toolbox.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Just discovered this week an "adjustment" on these mirrors that I wasn't aware of. Recently when driving I have noticed the passenger side mirror inner edge was not parallel to the vertical side of the coach ...not a biggie, but it bugged me. I noticed there is a accordian style rubber grommet where the mirror head attaches to the arm. I found the head side-to-side angle can be adjusted by pushing the mirror sideways from the bottom. Neat! Now the mirror is vertically parallel to the side of the coach!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Just discovered this week an "adjustment" on these mirrors that I wasn't aware of. Recently when driving I have noticed the passenger side mirror inner edge was not parallel to the vertical side of the coach ...not a biggie, but it bugged me. I noticed there is a accordian style rubber grommet where the mirror head attaches to the arm. I found the head side-to-side angle can be adjusted by pushing the mirror sideways from the bottom. Neat! Now the mirror is vertically parallel to the side of the coach!
I found that out by accidentally hitting a tree branch - backing out of my driveway! Needless to say, it adjusted itself! Now I need to find a tree for the drivers side.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

FWIW, the metric wrench was 17.5MM or 11/16" needed to fit those nuts. I now have 2 in my onboard tool box.

I have another question. Can the mirror head be rotated where that accordion-looking rubber boot covers the joint? The reason I ask is, right now the mirror is adjusted(electronically) to its extreme right limit and is not quite enough to see behind the MH.