Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2006, 02:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone
I need your help and advice again!!
I am the second owner of a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser 35U over here in England. It has fitted the 6535 Series Two Ton High Efficiency Package Heat Pump. I am having difficulty with the Outdoor Blower. For either the heating or the cooling cycle to run I have to go under the rear of the motorhome and flick the fan of the Outdoor Blower with a screwdriver to make it rotate. Once I have done that the blower works normally, with excellent airflow. Does this indicate a lubrication problem with the fan or an electrical problem, maybe worn brushes on the fan motor. The vehicle has had relatively light use, only 15000 miles from new.

As you can appreciate over this side of the Atlantic Ocean we are very much on our own in respect to support for RVs!!! I would very much appreciate any suggestions you may have that so that I can try to sort the problem out myself

Many thanks

2001 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
Littlebeckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone
I am the second owner of a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser 35U over here in England. It has fitted the 6535 Series Two Ton High Efficiency Package Heat Pump. I am having difficulty with the Outdoor Blower. For either the heating or the cooling cycle to run I have to go under the rear of the motorhome and flick the fan of the Outdoor Blower with a screwdriver to make it rotate. Once I have done that the blower works normally, with excellent airflow. Does this indicate a lubrication problem with the fan or an electrical problem, maybe worn brushes on the fan motor. The vehicle has had relatively light use, only 15000 miles from new.

As you can appreciate over this side of the Atlantic Ocean we are very much on our own in respect to support for RVs!!! I would very much appreciate any suggestions you may have that so that I can try to sort the problem out myself

Many thanks

Old 09-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the fan motor bearings are shot. I think this is a brushless motor with sealed bearings - maybe you will get another opinion. Maybe try a little light oil if you can see the shaft ends?

Better you than me piloting that rig on your tiny roads

Cheers mate!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

John

It is even more demanding in rural France!!

Regards

Old 09-23-2006, 06:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

John

I can't see the shaft ends in situ, but is it easy to take the whole unit off the chassis??

Old 09-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The most likely cause of your problem is that the capacitor for the outdoor blower has failed. The purpose of the capacitor is to supply the blower with a short surge of higher voltage on startup to get the motor spinning. If it is burnt out, the motor tries to start on the line voltage, but is unable to. If you open up the service cover on the left side of the A/C unit, you will see 4 round cylinders at the bottom of the opening. Those are your capacitors. Have someone test them and replace the bad one.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Littlebeckets:
John

I can't see the shaft ends in situ, but is it easy to take the whole unit off the chassis?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We have driven around northern France - I was scared to death driving in Paris those drivers there are crazy. I think your roads in the UK are smaller.

I believe the entire AC/heat pump slides out for service but I have not seen that operation done. Hopefully I will never need to do that for myself but I'm not above trying it in an emergency.

That's a good suggestion about the start capacitor assuming the blower has one (not all induction motors are designed for start capacitors if I remember correctly.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

zertrider is correct
bad run capacitor
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you open up the service cover on the left side of the A/C unit, you will see 4 round cylinders at the bottom of the opening. Those are your capacitors. Have someone test them and replace the bad one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, for the suggestion, I am away fron the Winnie until next weekend, I will have a look when I get

Thanks very much

Old 09-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was scared to death driving in Paris those drivers there are crazy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, it is very scary driving around Paris. I must say we aviod it with the Winnie. The great thing about France compared with the UK is the motorway system and the low traffic density it's a pleasure, but the fun begins when you have to use the local roads.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Littlebeckets:
Hi Everyone

Many thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

I have basically the same coach as you without the heatpump option. I have just gone through the same problem as you with the outside blower and then the inside blower. The way it was explained to me is that they need to upgrade to a hard start capacitor for the outside blower and then upgrade the inside blower to a 1/4 hp instead of a 1/5 hp motor. The upgrade for the inside blower is to be better able to handle heat build up which they feel shortens the life of the 1/5 hp motor.

Just a thought - 15,000 miles from new only means that it was not driven far. Keep in mind that it could have been used as a guest house with the AC/Heat left on full time. I live in Florida and a good many motorhomes are drive 1000 miles to get here every year to be lived in full time for 3 to 6 months and then are driven the 1000 miles back home. A 2001 after six years of this would have about 12,000 miles on it but would have seen 1.5 to 3 years of full time use. Mileage may not be a good indicator of usage.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Neil

Yes, that's interesting about the mileage not being linked to useage!!
Thanks for the info on the capacitors, I suppose I will be able to source them over here in the UK??
When I return from my trip to Amsterdam next weekend I'll talk to the UK Winnebago importer and see what he can do

Again many thanks for the post

Old 09-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

John - here's a link to a parts list for your unit. Looks like item 34 would be the guilty party. Unfortunately, it looks to be mounted on or near the blower motor instead of behind the service panel. May make it a bit harder to access. As far as replacement, I would think that any air conditioning/heat pump repair shop there should be able to come up with a viable substitute since the parts list gives the electrical specs...good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Tom

Thanks for the link, that looks just what I need to do
Again thanks for your help