Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Our coach had a "Hicup" today!

Gang,
Well, after an oil and filter change, a fuel filter change, a lube job a complete removal and service of all the house batteries, we jumped in and took it for a quick ride to get some fuel for our up coming trip to San Diego for some Carpel tunnel surgery.

Just after getting fuel, we headed out on the road and stopped at a four way stop, intersection. When I hit the throttle to get going again, NOTHING!! The engine was running just fine, no indicator lights, no warning lights, nothing on the info center, no check engine light, nothing.

I tried several times to step on the pedal and make it go but, nothing. Talk about embarrassing. Good thing it was way into the evening and the traffic was at a minimum. I finally got it to idle around a corner and found a spot where I could pull over. I've never encountered this before so, I was lost as to the solution. So, about the only thing that came to mind at the time was, shut the whole thing down, wait, and restart it. So, I tried that. I let it sit about 10-15 seconds, even turned the lights off, then re-started the big C-7 CAT.

I could tell immediately that my problem cure itself. The throttle pedal was as reactive as it was before the problem occurred. I put it in "D" and, hit the throttle and, off we zoomed. Hmmmmmm. I wonder, what in the world would cause a hiccup like that? I know it's a "fly by wire" system so, I'm thinking it was an electrical glitch of some sort that, at least for now, has cured itself. Any ideas?
Scott

By the way, it's an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with C-7 330 HP CAT and, Allison MH3000 trans.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #2

Had similar problem once with my diesel pusher. I mistakenly inverted (put in upside down) one of the clear plastic fuel filters. Engine ran at an idle but shut down when under load.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Had similar problem once with my diesel pusher. I mistakenly inverted (put in upside down) one of the clear plastic fuel filters. Engine ran at an idle but shut down when under load.
But after shut down did it heal itself? I think FIRE UP is describing a malfunction in the Accelerator Position Sensor.(APS) You could try unplugging connections to the Engine computer and the APS and spraying with contact cleaner. Or, just wait for the next time it malfunctions and get towed to a repair shop. If you notice a few more episodes like you described, better get it in for service since you can't drive very far at idle.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

As I recall after I put the filter in the correct direction, I had to bleed the lines of air, then she started right up again with no further problems.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You got the remaining air out of the fuel system.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
Well, after an oil and filter change, a fuel filter change, a lube job a complete removal and service of all the house batteries, we jumped in and took it for a quick ride to get some fuel for our up coming trip to San Diego for some Carpel tunnel surgery.

Just after getting fuel, we headed out on the road and stopped at a four way stop, intersection. When I hit the throttle to get going again, NOTHING!! The engine was running just fine, no indicator lights, no warning lights, nothing on the info center, no check engine light, nothing.

I tried several times to step on the pedal and make it go but, nothing. Talk about embarrassing. Good thing it was way into the evening and the traffic was at a minimum. I finally got it to idle around a corner and found a spot where I could pull over. I've never encountered this before so, I was lost as to the solution. So, about the only thing that came to mind at the time was, shut the whole thing down, wait, and restart it. So, I tried that. I let it sit about 10-15 seconds, even turned the lights off, then re-started the big C-7 CAT.

I could tell immediately that my problem cure itself. The throttle pedal was as reactive as it was before the problem occurred. I put it in "D" and, hit the throttle and, off we zoomed. Hmmmmmm. I wonder, what in the world would cause a hiccup like that? I know it's a "fly by wire" system so, I'm thinking it was an electrical glitch of some sort that, at least for now, has cured itself. Any ideas?
Scott

By the way, it's an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with C-7 330 HP CAT and, Allison MH3000 trans.

I've had that happen twice a couple of years ago. No explanation or reason for that happening. As with yours - shutting it down for a short period of time "reset" what ever glitch there was. Both times this happened I was traveling on the east coast - not that that has anything to do with the problem but I was roughly 3000 miles from homand that is somewhat scary.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I've had that happen twice a couple of years ago. No explanation or reason for that happening. As with yours - shutting it down for a short period of time "reset" what ever glitch there was. Both times this happened I was traveling on the east coast - not that that has anything to do with the problem but I was roughly 3000 miles from homand that is somewhat scary.
We're your two "hicups" soon after a fuel filter change Bob?
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Hey Ron,
Installing those two fuel shut off valves, was without a doubt, one of the best things I've done for my own piece of mind in maintenance. I shut those things off, remove the old filter, not a drop spilled, (the EPA would be proud, not that I care) and, then I fill the new filter, via the small holes, with a brand new, extra large syringe. I had to refill the syringe, about a zillion times.

But, I filled it to the brim. Then, installed it and, turned the valves on. I then started the big beast up and that motor purred like a big CAT, so to speak. We then took her out for a cruise and, down to get some fuel. The mileage to the fuel station was about 3-4 miles, one way. I fueled it, then headed back home. About a mile from the gas station, at a stop sign, that's when the hiccup happened.

So, I'm pretty sure that the changing of the fuel filter had nothing to do with the issue. I think it was a glitch of some type and, so far, based on we made our trip back to San Diego today, about 300 miles and, not one throttle issue.
Scott
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Ron, No it was not after a fuel filter change - maybe after 2000 miles after the fuel filter change and this was probably two summers ago. The problem has not repeated. I suspected a "computer" glitch that rebooting resolved. I hope I'm correct as I've put many more miles on it since then including one around the USA of well over 7K miles.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

So it sounds like you've both experienced an electrical/computer gremlin of some sort! I hate those kinds of "hicups" cause you just never know when, where or if they'll ever pop up again.

I have yet to install those fuel petcocks on my coach. If you'd be so kind as to email the McMaster Carr part numbers, I'll be able to install them before my first change.

Thank you both for sharing your experience being long time owners helps us newbies tremendously.
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

(Warning; Caution - This is only to tease Scott!! A nice gent! And we're both former Bounder owners, and came into DP's about the same time.)

This is a tease only! This is a tease only!

So Scott - You sounds like your CAT is performing normally, afterall - it's not a Cummins!

End of tease here. End of tease here.

(Note: I respect and like CAT's, would have liked to have a BIG BLOCK CAT in Country Coach, but the Allure model came with the Cummins ISL. And this Allure model is the only one in the High Cascade line, that had the galley the DW liked so much. I like CATS, I like CATS... And, I like our Cummins too. Would have also been pleased to have a ISM for the BIG BLOCK!)

Back on the subject. I'd not worry about it unless it repeats itself. Then I would get see if the computer stored in error codes. These are complex units, and sometimes they just get confused.

Glad you limped it over to a safe place. And you sound like you did the old REBOOT trick, by restarting.

Travel safe, and good luck on whomever is having the upcoming procedure.
Smitty

Note: Did I mention to CAT people, that I was only kidding Scott?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
So it sounds like you've both experienced an electrical/computer gremlin of some sort! I hate those kinds of "hicups" cause you just never know when, where or if they'll ever pop up again.

I have yet to install those fuel petcocks on my coach. If you'd be so kind as to email the McMaster Carr part numbers, I'll be able to install them before my first change.

Thank you both for sharing your experience being long time owners helps us newbies tremendously.
Ron,
To you and Smitty both, do you guys know how hard it is to TYPE after only a few hours after Carpel Tunnel surgery? What a PITA, not to mention the pain in the surgery area!!! Anyways, kidding aside, Ron you don't have to go to McMstr C for those parts. You can get them @ Home Depot or Lowes for about $6-$8 each. Whichever place is easier for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
(Warning; Caution - This is only to tease Scott!! A nice gent! And we're both former Bounder owners, and came into DP's about the same time.)

This is a tease only! This is a tease only!

So Scott - You sounds like your CAT is performing normally, afterall - it's not a Cummins!

End of tease here. End of tease here.

(Note: I respect and like CAT's, would have liked to have a BIG BLOCK CAT in Country Coach, but the Allure model came with the Cummins ISL. And this Allure model is the only one in the High Cascade line, that had the galley the DW liked so much. I like CATS, I like CATS... And, I like our Cummins too. Would have also been pleased to have a ISM for the BIG BLOCK!)

Back on the subject. I'd not worry about it unless it repeats itself. Then I would get see if the computer stored in error codes. These are complex units, and sometimes they just get confused.

Glad you limped it over to a safe place. And you sound like you did the old REBOOT trick, by restarting.

Travel safe, and good luck on whomever is having the upcoming procedure.
Smitty

Note: Did I mention to CAT people, that I was only kidding Scott?
Hey Smitty,
Long time no hear from. Hope all is well. I TOO wish I had a BIG BLOCK CAT like a C-13 in this coach. Then I could walk up that dreaded Bishop grade or, the Baker grade with ease, even towing. My C-7 does the job but, not without having to work real hard at both. Thanks for the "tease", I needed that. Good to hear from you.
Scott