Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone experienced any problems from only opening the slideout part way? We are going to have guests stay in the RV over Thanksgiving and I can only open the bedroom slide part way. Currently, we always open all the way and close all the way. Thanks for the help,
Christian
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone experienced any problems from only opening the slideout part way? We are going to have guests stay in the RV over Thanksgiving and I can only open the bedroom slide part way. Currently, we always open all the way and close all the way. Thanks for the help,
Christian
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There have been a few times where we have overnighted at truck stops where you cannot open the slides completely. We opened our slides (with the approval of our neighbor) only slightly so as to access the bed and living area.

I see no harm opening the slide partially.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a problem once when we opened our kitchen slide, then realized there was something caught between the slide and the inside wall. We retracted the slide partially, removed the obstruction, then put it back out fully. That night we had a torrential rainstorm and experienced a leak around the slide. We theorized that when we partially retracted the slide, then put it back out that the weatherstripping didn't seat properly. Haven't had the leak appear again operating the slide fully out and fully in.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FlyingW:
Christian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many slide don't seal completely and may not be properly supported unless they are completly opened or closed.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

The slide may not seal good in wet weather also HWH says do not extent the slides part of the way and then retract them continue to extend all the way out before retracting.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I too have heard the same as GG1. Never retract a partially open slide. Continue to extend it to full open THEN retract it...Like it full open best, but sometimes you gotta do , what you gotta do...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:10 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Why can it not be used closed up? Our old 35U was usable that way.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:22 AM   #9
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
Be careful if you partially open and then close slide. Front slides especially will creep open a very little while driving. The best way is as stated above and open fully and then close fully holding slide switch on a second or two after slide is closed
Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The 2 main reasons Winnebago doesn't recommend partially opening then closing slides are:

1. Most slides use 2 cylinders with an equalizer cylinder between them. The equalizer is supposed to provode the same amount of hydraulic oil to each extension cylinder so the slide moves out with both ends parallel. If the calibration is slightly off one cylinder may extend or retract more quickly than the other. It' no big deal if there's a slight difference when you fully extend before retracting since the slower cylinder will catch up once the faster one is fully extended.

If you only partially extend the slide and one side goes our farther than the other there's a possibility the slide will bind when it's retracted.

2. The upper and lower gaskets are meant to seal tight against the inside lip of the upper and lower surfaces. They only come in contact with these surfaces when the slide is fully extended. Again it's probably no big deal unless it's excessivly hot or cold, or there's foul weather
Old 11-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I always open my slides all the way and then retract them as statred by Winnebago and HWH. When I can't open slideout in bedroom to sleep we sleep with it retracted and just crawl over each other. I usually get to crawl over but that is OK and it seems very cozy that way.
If you use it opened part way there will be air flow around gasket. Hope this solves your problem.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have used out bed slide partially out on rare occasions when we are in rest areas or other areas where it won't go out all the way. In our case (05 Adventurer 38J) the bed slide uses a much simpler mechanism with only one hydraulic cylinder and doesn't have to lower as do the "flat floor" slides up front. Therefore, other than some air leaks around the seals, I don't think this is a big problem, but I would never leave one of the big dual cylinder slides up front partially out.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote