Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

One jack doesn't fully store

When I hit "all up" one jack is always just short of fully stored and this causes the alarm to keep sounding. It goes up the last 1/4" if I hit it with a broom handle. I wonder what is causing this jack to stick and what can I do about it? It is not a major problem, but I would like to get rid of the broom handle method to store the Kwikee Jack. Thanks, Joe
Old 07-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The rams occasionally need lubricated.
Power Gear recommend silicon sprayed on them every couple weeks when using them.

Don't know what Kwikee recommends.
Maybe you can find out Here what they recommend.

They have a Lube
Besides Kwikee Steps, you can also use KwikLUBE on:

Hings + Latches + Bicycle and motorcycle chains + Tools and Machinery + Mowers + Garage doors + Cable and pulleys + KODIAK SideWINDER + Caster and dolly wheels + Awning mechanisms + Car and camper jacks + Sliding tray bearings + Linkages and springs + Hitches and couplers + Marine applications + Leveling Systems
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The power gear jacks on my unit need to be greased after very 30 cycles or so.
I have to use lithium grease. If your jacks have grease fittings they will be at the bottom of the stationary section of the jack.
Spraying them will free them up, but if they have fittings its better to grease then as this extends the life of the seals.
Its one of the things they never tell you at the dealerships,because they have not spent time reading the manuals.

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Joe,
I have the same system. PowerGear/Kwikee suggest silicone. I believe ATF can be used also, since that is what is in the reservoir. I wish mine would go up with a broom handle. I wish mine were working like they did for 2-1/2 years. Now I have to pull the control from the wall and pull the 4 pin connector to keep it from dinging while going down the highway.

Shop time!! (Long story)
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to all three posters! Now I have some things to try. I also learned how to silence that alarm if need be! Joe & Mary beth
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Re keeping it from dinging.. If it's a power gear then on top of the tank is a fitting with a pair of wires coming out of it,, Follow these wires a few inches and there is a "Flat 2" connector (like the flat-4 but only two wires) That is the level sensor, unplug, easier than messing with the panel.

DANGER WILL ROBINSION... This means the system will think the jacks are up all the time so if you forget 'em like I've done many times they won't auto retract when you put the motor home in motion and pretzel them (Which I've yet to do)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Re keeping it from dinging.. If it's a power gear then on top of the tank is a fitting with a pair of wires coming out of it,, Follow these wires a few inches and there is a "Flat 2" connector (like the flat-4 but only two wires) That is the level sensor, unplug, easier than messing with the panel.

DANGER WILL ROBINSION... This means the system will think the jacks are up all the time so if you forget 'em like I've done many times they won't auto retract when you put the motor home in motion and pretzel them (Which I've yet to do)
My leveling system is Kwikee. Thanks, Joe & Mary Beth
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Joe does your system look like this?
Link.
http://www.kwikee.com/PDFDocuments/L...ingGuide04.pdf

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Do you have springs to return the jacks up ? If yes look at the springs
DRBARBER001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBARBER001 View Post
Do you have springs to return the jacks up ? If yes look at the springs
No springs.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtool View Post
Joe does your system look like this?
Link.
http://www.kwikee.com/PDFDocuments/L...ingGuide04.pdf

Dick.
It's very close. I don't have as many buttons but otherwise it is the same Kwikee System.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Joe,
The Kwikee leveling system has a reed switch on the top of each jack. When the jacks are up the switch should be shorted to ground.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Follow-up
For the Kwikee Level Best system, the "reed switches" (one on top of each jack) connected to pin 6 in the control panel. If it does not read a short to ground when th jacks are retracted the alarm will sound. If it does not show a short to ground when the jacks are retracted, each individual reed switch will have to be tested.

reed switch - hermetic switch.