Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 08:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

onan microquiet 4000

anyone replaced the starter on one of these
Saralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Saralee,
If you are quick like this guy, you can do it in just over four minutes.
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-01-2021, 12:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I bought a starter, because everything pointed to bad starter or bendix. Just a clicking noise. Then I found out it was suffering from low voltage from the battery, which acts just like a bad starter.

So my humble advice is to check all electrical connections, use a jumper, whatever it takes, to make sure the voltage getting to the starter is around 13 before deciding the starter is bad.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Watching that video tells me that anyone who just uses pliers and channel locks for everything, is no mechanic.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I bought a starter, because everything pointed to bad starter or bendix. Just a clicking noise. Then I found out it was suffering from low voltage from the battery, which acts just like a bad starter.

So my humble advice is to check all electrical connections, use a jumper, whatever it takes, to make sure the voltage getting to the starter is around 13 before deciding the starter is bad.

I highly recommend doing this as it is super easy to miss the obvious at times!

If necessary to make sure you are getting the right part to change, pull a car up to the side and use jumper cables direct to the starter to avoid changing it and finding the problem is really a corroded cable.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Onan 4000 microquiet

What symptoms does the genie have? If it has been sitting for over a month or more and not ran then it is probably a problem with the carburetor bowl and solenoid sticking as the gas evaporates it leaves a sticky resin that will easily cause it not to start. Not a very difficult fix, but does require removing the carb and taking it apart and cleaning with carb cleaner the bowl and solenoid. What is the fault code (blinking lights) you are seeing?

Tags
onan