Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2019, 01:11 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Onan fault code 14 help/suggestions

Our generator is acting up. It's an Onan/Cummins 5.5 Model HGJAB Spec. K, 3+ y/o and 217 hours. No previous issues - none - ever. It is throwing a fault code 14. Unfortunately it appears that fault code 14 is short for we don't know what's actually wrong, try these 15+ things to see if it fixes it. Ugh!

Unfortunately, the problem cropped up immediately after the dealer replaced the ATS. While this is certainly suspect, I can see where it could also be coincidental. Just wanted to put all of the facts out there.

The exact problem is that when it's operating under load and the last load is shut off, the generator shuts off. This is happening because the Herts (Hz) of the generator is going out of an acceptable range. In this case, I believe it's above 66 Hz. It's a safety feature to protect both the generator and any voltage sensitive appliances.

Since the vast majority of the "fixes" are beyond my diagnostic and tool (meter) lacking abilities, it's at the shop. After much diagnostics, they adjusted the throttle stop. They thought they had it fixed, but when I went to pick it up, we (wisely) tested it and it did the same thing again. The tech had his meter hooked up so he knows exactly what it did.

So, since the next option appears to be replacing a $600 "control board", with no guarantee it's going to fix the problem, I'm looking for suggestions, thoughts, links etc. I've been able to find some older posts on line, just wondering if there is something newer out there.

BTW, I called Cummins and the extent of their help was a friendly voice and to ship me the diagnostic procedure.

Any information is appreciated.

Tags
onan