Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2006 Outlook 325F with an Onan Microquiet that I just changed the oil with Shell Rotella 15-40. Is this oil okay although the container states for diesel use? I am assuming that it is okay. Thanks.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2006 Outlook 325F with an Onan Microquiet that I just changed the oil with Shell Rotella 15-40. Is this oil okay although the container states for diesel use? I am assuming that it is okay. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Shell Rotella meets or exceeds all of Onan requirements. I use it too. 15-40 is good from +10 F to 100+ F air temperature.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

In my previous motorhome which had a Onan gas generator I used Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil designed for air cooled engines.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Amsoil 15w40,same for my Harley,same as ED!!TENN.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, I just wondered because of the diesel on the bottle. Maybe a few more hours (19 so far) and I will try synthetic oil.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Jerry:
If you look on the container it will list the API classifications the product meets. You will see letter/number combinations like CF, CH, CJ, CH-4. These indicate that the oil meets diesel engine manufacuters requirments. On Rotella you will also see SJ, and such, these are gasoline/gas engine oil requirements.
Shell Rotella T is good oil and suitable for use in about any gas or diesel engine you are likely to encounter (not good for a locomotive engine).
If I were you, at the next service intervl, I'd go with synthetic because it is not likely to break down due to heat and those air cooled engines do run hot. Look in the manual and see what Onan requires on the API classification, probably SJ or SK and match it along with the viscosity in the temperature range you will be running it in. Air cooled motorcycle oil is a good choice, if it meets API specs.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
Jerry:
If you look on the container it will list the API classifications the product meets. You will see letter/number combinations like CF, CH, CJ, CH-4. These indicate that the oil meets diesel engine manufacuters requirments.

On Rotella you will also see SJ, and such, these are gasoline/gas engine oil requirements.
Shell Rotella T is good oil and suitable for use in about any gas or diesel engine you are likely to encounter (not good for a locomotive engine). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the difference between Detergent and Non-Detergent motor oil?

I went to a Kragen Auto Parts store and was told to use a Non-Detergent motor oil for generators, lawn mowers and such: the oil was rated as 'SB', which doesn't seem to match the requirements of Onan and they didn't carry a single brand that was 15w-40.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Richard:
I would not put a lot of stock in what an auto store person told me about "detergent" or non detergent oil. Your Onan generator is not the same thing as a lawn mower.
Go with the API classification and also the SAE weight for the temperature you'll be running in. Can't go wrong with Rotella. Mobile 1 would also be a good choice.

Oh, the difference between detergent and non detergent, detergent oil has an additive which has properties similar to detergent, keeps the inside of your engine clean, more important in a diesel engine but also important in your Onan air cooled. In older air cooled engines such as lawn mower and cheap generators that used splash lubrication, the detergent was not desirable for a couple of reasons.

That make sense and answer your question?
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
Richard:
I would not put a lot of stock in what an auto store person told me about "detergent" or non detergent oil. Your Onan generator is not the same thing as a lawn mower.
Go with the API classification and also the SAE weight for the temperature you'll be running in. Can't go wrong with Rotella. Mobile 1 would also be a good choice.

Oh, the difference between detergent and non detergent, detergent oil has an additive which has properties similar to detergent, keeps the inside of your engine clean, more important in a diesel engine but also important in your Onan air cooled. In older air cooled engines such as lawn mower and cheap generators that used splash lubrication, the detergent was not desirable for a couple of reasons.

That make sense and answer your question? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Gunny;

I decided to use what I already bought for the lawn mower and purchased Shell Rotella 15w-40 for the Onan. I'm going to change the oil and filter today, which I haven't done myself before. Looks pretty simple, as I don't even need to pull a drain plug since Onan has a oil drain valve. Wish the Workhorse 8.1L was going to be that simple!

By the way, I had originally purchased a quart of Onan 15w-40 (to top off as needed) from the local Winnebago dealer: $6.99 a quart. I haven't used it yet, but I guess there is some gold in it at that price...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote