Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Oil leak on Cat C7...

I recently had my coach back in Gaffney, SC for a complete change of everything. (ie: filters, fluids, lube, etc.) After I got back to Reno, I noticed a leak under the coach. On my last trip (just got back from Oregon today) I inspected where it was coming from. It is dripping from a small square plate, about 5" x 5" that is held in place by four 7/16" bolts. Does anyone else have or has had, this problem? I am hoping it is not a rear main seal.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I recently had my coach back in Gaffney, SC for a complete change of everything. (ie: filters, fluids, lube, etc.) After I got back to Reno, I noticed a leak under the coach. On my last trip (just got back from Oregon today) I inspected where it was coming from. It is dripping from a small square plate, about 5" x 5" that is held in place by four 7/16" bolts. Does anyone else have or has had, this problem? I am hoping it is not a rear main seal.
Ramzfan,
Just exactly where is this "5"x5" plate located? On the engine side, bell housing, trans, where? I've not been under ours for a while so, I cannot relate.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like the inspection cover , on the bell housing. Should have a hole in the middle of the plate.
When you had the oil changed did you switch brands or go to synthetic by any chance.
How much oil were you billed for ? Was the level down ? Ever had the dipstick calibrated ?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi guys...I just went and looked and the plate is on the flywheel cover. It's about 4" x 5" and has a hole in the middle. No, I did not switch from synthetic oil to regular oil. At least I don't think I did. This is my first oil change. I was billed for 19 qts of 15/40 oil. No, the oil was full when I took it in. No, I've never had the dipstick calibrated, however the technicians at Camp Freightliner said that is one of the things that they check when doing a complete change.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a Cummins engine, it has a hole in the bottom of the bell-housing to allow any oil to drain away that has migrated past either the rear main seal or the front transmission seal. The Perkins diesel engines in my farm tractors all have that hole. Does Caterpillar have that drain hole too? It's original intent was to keep such leaked oil from contaminating the manual clutch.
You do have an option to discover the source of the oil. Markers (dye) are sold to add to the oil so you know its source, but add it to only one, then change colors for the other source.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

When I was on my last trip, I started hearing a "ding-ding" sounding every few minutes while driving. (no, it wasn't my wife) I couldn't figure out what it was, so that night at our site, I started checking things. I noticed that the engine oil was down. I had to put in 2 qts to bring it up to the full mark on the dipstick. The next day the dinging stopped. My question is, is 2 qts a lot for 5,000 miles? That's how far I had driven after having it changed in Gaffney, SC.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You would have to check your engine manual , to see if it is equipped with an oil level sensor, to confirm the source of the ding.
2 quarts in 5,000 is slightly high ; JMHO; but I would have to ask .
Did you check the level prior to the trip ? Or were you assuming it was on the full mark from the change .

Ray,In; yes Cat uses the same drain/inspection set up on the bell housing .
Dye should not be necessary , to isolate between the engine oil and trans fluid, unless the trans fluid has turned black; then it has to come out anyway.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

On the C7 in our '05 Itasca Horizon, the re-calibrated oil level on the dip stick appears to be about two quarts below the "factory" full level. I hope you didn't overfill the crankcase as it will just go out the vent tube ("slobber tube".) I extended the tube on ours so that any oil that came out would not go into our rear radiator, attract dirt, and plug it up. That leads to engine overheating.
luckydog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, leak