Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Oil Change questions

Hi everyone, I am getting ready to change the oil on the MH for the first time. I just bought all the filters, oil and fuel, ordered a Fumoto plug to instal for the next oil change Got a 5 gallon pail of Shell Rotella 15W40 oil. That should be enough for the engine and generator with some left over for topping off if necessary. Already greased everything, used almost a whole tube of grease.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I am getting 2 jack stands to put under the MH and I have talked to 2 people and got 2 different answers. If a jack is rated for 6 tons, is that per jack or a total of 6 tons for both. Kind of a minor detail when under the MH
2. When replacing the fuel filters, what is the correct procedure to follow?

Any other helpful tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hans
Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Although they are generally sold in pairs each jack stand is rated individually. A pair of "6 ton" jack stands should be able to safely hold up 24,000 lbs or 12,000 lbs (6 tons) each.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

A suggestion for you:
Use your shop vacuum "connected" to the port where you add oil to the engine. Wrap a rag around it for a sort of seal. Turn it on and remove the oil drain plug and install your new Fumoto valve. As long as the vacuum stays on you won't lose any oil nor will you suck oil into your shop vacuum. After this is done you can drain a gallon at a time into your wast containers.
And as for filter change procedure check your engine manual.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Kix, Thanks for the great idea, I will give it a try. Should have the plug here befor this weekend so I can try your suggestion.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What do you have for an engine? 20 quarts may not be enough for the engine and generator.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Smile

moldmaker, let us know how the shop vac works for you. It sure sounds like it should work. However I wouldn't mind if you tried it first and advised your experience.
Oh, with 20 qts you should be able to do a cat 350 at 19 qts but that does not leave enough for the generator.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sunde's View Post
moldmaker, let us know how the shop vac works for you. It sure sounds like it should work. However I wouldn't mind if you tried it first and advised your experience.
Oh, with 20 qts you should be able to do a cat 350 at 19 qts but that does not leave enough for the generator.
Good luck and have fun.
Someone told me about this method not too long ago. I was ready for an oil change and I thought I would give the method a try. I had my 5 gal. catch pan ready, rags, wrench, etc. My wife handled the vacuum......and 'lo and behold.......not a drop of oil and I even fumbled the Fumoto valve install.
And the old oil will drain a little faster if you take the oil fill cap off while draining. But, it's still slow but absoulutely not a drop of oil spilled.

And, if you have a diesel, which I assume you do from oil you say you bought, getting the old oil filter off can be a challenge. Go to NAPA and buy a 1/2" drive filter strap. Don't scrimp on the quality of the strqap wrench or you'll be buying another one. Good luck
Old 05-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Gee. to change oil on my workhorse I don't need jack stands

I can SIT under that rig.. I'm 6'3" tall
'
(Though I'd have to lie down under the engine)
Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

DonG,

I called Cummins and they told me I needed 15 quarts plus the oil filter and the Onan generator needs 3 quarts with the oil filter. If I don't have enough I'll have to get another quart or 2

The Sunde's,

I will let you know how it works. The plug didn't get here today so I hope it shows up tomorrow in the mail. If not I will have to wait till next week some time to change it.

wa8xym,

The jack stands are safety item. I can crawl under the MH as well but if the HWH jacks should fail while under there I would be toast.

I will update when I have the job completed.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like you will have enough oil. I wasn't sure how much the new engines took.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Sounds like you have things under control. Be sure to change the oil after the engine is warm. This is especially important with the Fumoto valve.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Well I told you I would get back and report how things went with the oil change and Fumoto valve install. I did as was suggested and put the shop vac on the oil inlet and unscrewed the oil plug and installed the Fumoto valve and not a drop was spilled. I spilled more oil when putting the new oil in. I also ran the engine till the oil temperature was at 150 degrees. came out real easy. I also bought 2 six ton jack stands to put under the MH while I was working under there.

I also posted on how the fuel filter changes went. That was quite an experience and I learned a few things I wasn't aware of. If you are interested, it is in the Winnebago forum under "changing fuel filters" Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Hans