Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Oil Cap Replacement Trouble

Hi guys hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here. I made a trip to Florida and when I got back home I went to change my engine oil and the oil fill cap is missing. I am looking to buy a replacement, but am having difficulty finding an oil cap that fits. I am able to find the cap that would fit the engine fill hole, but that is not the oil cap I need. There is an oil fill extension tube that runs from the engine oil fill hole to the front engine bay of the coach. I am looking for an oil cap that will fit the oil fill extension tube.

2013 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Ford 6.8L 10V
F53 chassis.
Kicker3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Call the Ford Dealer in Forest City, Iowa and ask for parts. They will know exactly what the Ford F53 RV chassis oil filler cap part # is and can sell it and mail it to you.

Lichtsinn RV across the street (largest Winnebago dealer in the world) sends a lot of Ford F53 Chassis needs their way.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

In the meantime, don't try to cover the filler tube with a nitrile glove or similar. Very bad idea that cost my dealer about $12k to fix.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Call the Ford Dealer in Forest City, Iowa and ask for parts. They will know exactly what the Ford F53 RV chassis oil filler cap part # is and can sell it and mail it to you.

Lichtsinn RV across the street (largest Winnebago dealer in the world) sends a lot of Ford F53 Chassis needs their way.
Thanks for the tip! When I called and asked if they could help me find the part, the guy on the phone replied probably not. We have had a lot of trouble with these in the past. In the end they think they have the right part. They are going to order it tomorrow being it was later in the day and then ship it up to me in MN. Keeping my fingers crossed it’s the right part.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:34 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Had the same thing happen. I went to my local Ford dealer with the Vin number and they had a cap that fit for only a few bucks. The only thing wrong is the label on the cap for the weight of oil. The one that got lost (??) said 5w30, the replacement says 10w30. So I used a permanent marker and covered it over.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Had the same thing happen. I went to my local Ford dealer with the Vin number and they had a cap that fit for only a few bucks. The only thing wrong is the label on the cap for the weight of oil. The one that got lost (??) said 5w30, the replacement says 10w30. So I used a permanent marker and covered it over.
Good idea about covering the marking on the cap. That thought did cross my mind. Knowing myself I would look at the cap that is marked incorrectly for the coach in a few years and put the wrong weighted oil in. You don’t happen to have a part number do you? As my quest for a replacement cap continues, the parts guys on the phone don’t seem to confident.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:07 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Sorry, don't have the part number. I went to the local Ford dealer and explained it was an F53 motor home chassis. they looked up the Vin and it was listed. It's more difficult to brush you off when you are standing right in front of them I guess...
Old 05-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Here is a picture of the oil fill extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65AFE4FD-948C-49A2-AE95-632A523E3C0E.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	182883  
Old 05-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Follow up. When I spoke to the Ford dealer in Forest City Iowa they gave me Ford part number 1L3Z-6766-AA. They said the part was shipping out to me today. I probably won’t have it for 2 days. Like I said before, the dealer didn’t seem very confident that they had found the correct part for me. Wording that I would receive yet another incorrect oil cap in 2 days time, I desperately contacted Winnebago customer service asking them for the part number. I was kind of bummed when instead of helping me with the part number they replied with a very short message telling me to contact Ford and gave me a telephone number. I called the number and Ford customer service said they could not answer parts questions and told me they would transfer me to their parts. The Ford parts guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about and gave me the same Ford part number the dealer in Forest City gave me. 1L3Z-6766-AA. He also gave me Motorcraft part number EC755. Two different people giving me the same part number gave me more confidence that I was finally on to something this time. I got too impatient to wait on the part from Forest City so I ran out to O’Rileys and gave them the Motorcraft EC755 number. They cross referenced that number and gave me a Master Pro Select Oil Cap. Part number 8100. This oil cap fit like a glove. I am hoping by sharing this information it will help someone maybe even years from now that may have the same problem as me if stumble across this thread. I am so thankful the search for a replacement oil cap is over and I can now enjoy the upcoming Memorial Day weekend without stuffing a rag in my oil fill tube!
Old 05-18-2022, 06:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

It is threads like this that I like to read. There was a solution to the problem and the OP came back and shared how he fixed the problem. Thank you for sharing.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

thanks to kicker3d for the part number.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

There are times when things get really difficult on finding parts and some of it is due to the way adding an RV on top can change how the oil has to be added. That can totally screw up using the Ford info as it is no longer what they put on the stripped chassis they sent to Winnebago!
Sometimes it fits, sometimes not, so I go a different direction.

I find I can go in and plead ignorance and get them to drag a few parts that seem right out to the Rv and they do the checking to see if THEY are right!

I may pay a couple bucks more than I might get online but I also save a lot of grief in getting the wrong stuff due to MY mistake!
When possible, I like to let them show me what I need!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, oil cap, oil fill extension, replace, replacement, vista