Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Oil

I am looking at using a product named Royal Purple for my next oil change, on my ford V10 engine with 56000 miles. Has anyone had an experience with this product.
Thank you,
Al Edwards
2001 Winebago Adventurer
aedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

yes its overpriced for what you get. ($9/quart)
A better oil would be synthetic Rotella 5-40w ($4.50/quart)
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I put RP in the rear dif, transfer case, transmission and engine of the 2006 4.0 V6 Ranger I had. The engine started quicker and ran smoother and quieter. I picked up 1 to 2 mpg's. It reduces friction and frees up power. A couple local auto parts stores stock it and it is not $9 a quart!
RP is a proprietary blend or mix and really cannot be compared to other lubes.
It works. It really does.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedwards View Post
I am looking at using a product named Royal Purple for my next oil change, on my ford V10 engine with 56000 miles. Has anyone had an experience with this product.
Thank you,
Al Edwards
2001 Winebago Adventurer
check the msds for royal purple. it is not 100% synthetic. it has paraffin in it, so it is an expensive para-synthetic.
if you want an inexpensive synthetic oil use mobil 1.
all my fluids are 100% synthetic amsoil.

Royal Purple Motor Oil
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post
I put RP in the rear dif, transfer case, transmission and engine of the 2006 4.0 V6 Ranger I had. The engine started quicker and ran smoother and quieter. I picked up 1 to 2 mpg's. It reduces friction and frees up power. A couple local auto parts stores stock it and it is not $9 a quart!
RP is a proprietary blend or mix and really cannot be compared to other lubes.
It works. It really does.
did you bother to do an oil analysis to back up your subjective claims?

It is closer to $9 quart than it isnt.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

It's like Bose Sound systems and speakers of past, it works great, but at a premium price. There is just as good, but at a lower price. Mobile One is good, so is Valvoline Synpower.
K.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMech View Post
It's like Bose Sound systems and speakers of past, it works great, but at a premium price. There is just as good, but at a lower price. Mobile One is good, so is Valvoline Synpower.
K.
exactly. Not to sell my preferences... but I like to keep an oil around that meets ALL my vehicles requirements. Rotella T does this just find for every 6 wheel, 4 wheel, 2 wheeled, and non wheeled vehicle I own.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
yes its overpriced for what you get. ($9/quart)
A better oil would be synthetic Rotella 5-40w ($4.50/quart)
Synthetic Rotella 5w-40 is not a pure synthetic base stock as Mobil 1 and Amsol, it is a synthetic blend.

This was taken form the MSDS for synthetic Rotella 5-40:

Blend of synthetic hydrocarbon, polyalphaolefins and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil contains <3% (w/w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Al,
I ran 5w-30 Mobil 1 in the V-10 of a Itasca Suncruiser. I found the engine was a little more noisy probably because of the lower viscosity and easier starting in colder weather but it was trouble free for 4 1/2 years.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
did you bother to do an oil analysis to back up your subjective claims?

It is closer to $9 quart than it isnt.
Here we go...
been through this on other forums too...
If you don't believe or think that it is a good product, you probably never will...
Why would I do an oil analysis? It is not a military craft and I am not going to the moon.
I bought the truck brand new and knew it's characteristics very well b4 changing to RP after four years of use.
RP made a noticeable difference.
I don't have any proof.
I am sharing my experience with a product.

It's closer to $7 than $9 smartypants!
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Synthetic Rotella 5w-40 is not a pure synthetic base stock as Mobil 1 and Amsol, it is a synthetic blend.

This was taken form the MSDS for synthetic Rotella 5-40:

Blend of synthetic hydrocarbon, polyalphaolefins and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil contains <3% (w/w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
well aware of the difference. The pure synthetics are exceptionally more expensive. Havent used mobil 1 since early 2000 when the formulation was changed. Back then it was superior to everything except motul and agip. The price difference was significant.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post
Here we go...
been through this on other forums too...
If you don't believe or think that it is a good product, you probably never will...
Why would I do an oil analysis? It is not a military craft and I am not going to the moon.
I bought the truck brand new and knew it's characteristics very well b4 changing to RP after four years of use.
RP made a noticeable difference.
I don't have any proof.
I am sharing my experience with a product.

It's closer to $7 than $9 smartypants!
you definitely are "selling" more than sharing. 1/6/12 market check on RP

Oil analysis is very important. If I paid $9/quart Id want to believe its working too! Put that oil in the freezer overnight and let us know how long it takes to pour the quart out after 12hrs in freezing temps.
You cant just arbitrarily claim something works without some relevant data.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Al, I bought a used F-53 chassis Winnebago with 12K miles on it and I used Mobil-1 with Lucas Oil Stabilizer, 5 qts. Mobil1 and 1 qt. Lucas. I ran than thing for 8 years up to 82K mi. towing a Dodge Dakota 4x thru all types of terrain and temps and it never hiccupped one time. When I traded it in, it was still an extremely strong engine. It was the V-10.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

most synthetic oils have basically the same indegrents. all claim something special, something that they claim makes their synthetic oil better. Most all offer improvement over the old oils. MANY Long hall truckers & owners swear by Shell's Rottela T. GM puts Mobil1 in their expensive cars, ie, Corvettes, Cadillacs and others. It is also put in many expensive imported cars. Still, it's hard to go wrong with the oil chosen as the factory fill for all Porsche and Mercedes AMG vehicles, the Nissan GT-R, and many other high performance cars. The factories have to warrenty these automobile engines. You can go online and get the specific specifications on all the oils. good luck. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote