Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Since I recently tackled the fairly tough job of R & R of my leaking heater core, I decided to do my own oil change and chassis lube. Everyone says, 'do it yourself and you know its done right.'

I learned that used diesel oil is really like diluted tar....that is some really messy stuff! I also found a couple of new places under the beast to bang my head .

The oil fill is a bit goofy on this rig...required a long funnel and a short ladder for me. I also discovered that dropping a partially filled gallon jug of 15W40 between the radiator and the rear grill makes quite a mess . I re-engineered my pouring process and got it done. It did take lots of Dawn detergent, hot water (and 2 beers ) to get the mess cleaned up.

I took several gallon jugs of used oil to my local boat repair shop for disposal in their used oil tank. As I was pouring gallon #3 into the large funnel they have on the tank, black goo started running down the sides of the tank...it was full . So, I cleaned up that mess (how do you get those rags clean???) and headed to an auto parts store 15 miles away to dispose of the rest of the oil.

Being dedicated to my task, I did the chassis lube today. Found all the zerks but some of them are really hard to get to. I was never able to get grease into two of them no matter how hard I tried. I did get grease all over me...that is one messy job laying on your back trying to hold the fitting on the zerks and pump the gun. Also, I found even more places under the beast to bang my head .

So, as I lay on the ground with grease in my armpits, I decided the following:

1. I like working on the motorhome...mostly...but oil changes and chassis lube won't be on my list again.

2. I am a hospital administrator and my mechanic is a mechanic...I don't think he wants to do my job and I don't think I will try and do his.

3. I've found all the spots under my rig on which to bang my head and I don't need to look for more.

I'm taking the rig to my RV mechanic tomorrow to get the LP furnace fixed. When he tells me I'm probably due an oil change and chassis lube, I will enjoy seeing him roll in the floor laughing when I tell him my story.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Since I recently tackled the fairly tough job of R & R of my leaking heater core, I decided to do my own oil change and chassis lube. Everyone says, 'do it yourself and you know its done right.'

I learned that used diesel oil is really like diluted tar....that is some really messy stuff! I also found a couple of new places under the beast to bang my head .

The oil fill is a bit goofy on this rig...required a long funnel and a short ladder for me. I also discovered that dropping a partially filled gallon jug of 15W40 between the radiator and the rear grill makes quite a mess . I re-engineered my pouring process and got it done. It did take lots of Dawn detergent, hot water (and 2 beers ) to get the mess cleaned up.

I took several gallon jugs of used oil to my local boat repair shop for disposal in their used oil tank. As I was pouring gallon #3 into the large funnel they have on the tank, black goo started running down the sides of the tank...it was full . So, I cleaned up that mess (how do you get those rags clean???) and headed to an auto parts store 15 miles away to dispose of the rest of the oil.

Being dedicated to my task, I did the chassis lube today. Found all the zerks but some of them are really hard to get to. I was never able to get grease into two of them no matter how hard I tried. I did get grease all over me...that is one messy job laying on your back trying to hold the fitting on the zerks and pump the gun. Also, I found even more places under the beast to bang my head .

So, as I lay on the ground with grease in my armpits, I decided the following:

1. I like working on the motorhome...mostly...but oil changes and chassis lube won't be on my list again.

2. I am a hospital administrator and my mechanic is a mechanic...I don't think he wants to do my job and I don't think I will try and do his.

3. I've found all the spots under my rig on which to bang my head and I don't need to look for more.

I'm taking the rig to my RV mechanic tomorrow to get the LP furnace fixed. When he tells me I'm probably due an oil change and chassis lube, I will enjoy seeing him roll in the floor laughing when I tell him my story.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

smlranger.....I understand completely!!!

I went through several years of DIY maintenance. And unlike others, I never felt doing it myself was actually the 'best' service. I'm mechanically inclined, but not on heavy duty truck frames and chassis. I followed directions, learned from many, but at days end, still felt that I missed something or didn't do something correctly.

So, I learned a lot, as you have, and now feel that I know enough to make sure the folks who do my maintenance, do a good job.

I watch, ask questions, look for old parts, check the maintenance receipts and always do a twice over before leaving.

Has worked so far for me. Use some ice on those bumps.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Great job describing the lube process Gary

My lube process is usually identicial, including the head bumps.

Since it was your first DIY oil change, just curious if you pulled out the oil filler tube. I think it was after the first oil change when I questioned why the heck they made the oil filler so short I pulled on it and realized it pulls out 6 inches or so. Makes putting the oil in much easier.

As another suggestion for re-filling, I also took a long plastic transmission filler funnel, and cut off a couple inches of it so the outlet is about an inch in diameter. It fits snugly in the oil fill tube and the oil pours in quickly.

Joe, I did pull out the tube. I had a long Blitz funnel but one of those flex transmission funnels would have been ideal. Do you use an air-powered grease gun?
Old 10-23-2006, 04:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Great story Gary! Years ago I wouldn't even consider letting somebody else do an oil change on our various cars - complete waste of money. Even replaced struts, shocks, starters, alternators, etc.

Now, I wouldn't consider NOT letting somebody else do the job - I just don't want to fool with it any more. Part of the reason is my body isn't as tolerent of unusual positions and attitudes as it used to be! Like you mention, disposing of used oil can be a hassle (assuming you get it into the recovery device .)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Joe, I did pull out the oil filler tube. I had a long Blitz funnel but one of those flex transmission funnels would have been better.

Curious...do you use an air-powered grease gun?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for bring a smile to me this morning reading your post. Been there, done that!

Have discovered that the real key to DIY on coach is the correct tools, access(pit & clean up area), and know-how to accomplish the task. Tools we have, the pit we will never have, clean-up area is a real problem, and the know-how is a learning curve.

A good mechanic is a valuable find and when you add it all up, for us anyway, the money cost is a good trade.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:

Curious...do you use an air-powered grease gun? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I use a 15 year old, powered grease gun

Yep, I tell my 15 year old son, if he wants to get his drivers license next year, he has to get under the motorhome with me and pump the grease gun.

I've been thinking of getting an air powered gun as holding he gun on the drive shaft U-joint fittings and pumping takes 3 hands. Usually with my son helping we can hit all the fittings in 15 minutes though so I havn't bothered yet.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Last week I took my 2 year old Meridian in to the local Freighliner for its second annual maintenance. Guy came out the coach, put on white cotton gloves and blue paper bootties. Covered the seats (both)and floor with plastic, and took it in the shop where they changed oil & filter, fuel filter, removed air cleaner to visually inspect even though the "minder" was still in the yellow, greased the beast, and tested the coolant. All for less than $200. When they were done, a guy went around the rig with a clean rag and looked for stray fingerprints. I'm a fair mechanic myself - but I ain't dumb. No way I will do this in my driveway.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Rich,

I notice you're in Eustis. I LIKE the way your service guy did his job. Mind telling me where you had this done? I could easily drive from Ocala to Eustis.

Tom
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Heh-heh-heh, love the tale, Gary. I bet there's quite a few of us that could copy the entire story (complete with head-bumps) and just substitute in a few of the minor details. Even with all the words-to-the-wise, I'm still looking forward to doing the first full oil-change on mine. Already did the tranny-filter replacement and a lube, and I still haven't fully recovered.

While I was wriggling around underneath, I decided I wanted to get the engine-number off its dataplate. So, off to the Cummins-book to learn it "could" be in one of 3 possible locations... none of them even remotely easily-accessable (of course not). Armed with the information, I did what probably looked to anyone watching like a birthing in reverse while I crammed myself up inside and around the block.
Nope, not in the first spot, and not in the second either. Ah-ha, there's something waaaaay up there, but I can't seem to get near it with my droplight. Maybe if I snake this arm thru that hole, and then wipe that armpit up along this big greasy piece of metal. Ok, got it. Poke my head goes in there and twist away so the light isn't burning my cheek anymore. Eureka! There it is! Uh-oh, now I'm stuck.
I'd managed to get so far up that my arms were now locked over my head. Took several tense minutes to finally get dislodged, all with thoughts continually running thru my head about of how the paramedics were going to have to cut away the frame to get me out.

And I still want to work on the engine?

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Gary I enjoyed your story. Particularly where from now on you will Hospital and let the Mechanic Mechanic.

I am too old , too big and too clumsy to tackle anything like that on the Moho. With the wifes help I manage to get the boats oil changed but that's as far as I will go...

Its amazing what we will tackle at times.
Good MIles.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:43 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I invested in a Lincoln grease gun, with a pistol grip action. Now I can hold those zerk fittings w/one hand and squeeze grease w/the other. And the gun doesn't leak. Recommended by some kind soul on this forum. Great grease gun; special ordered thru Advance Auto. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

BTW, my gas rig has the same head-knocking points as those DP's :-/

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Additional suggestions: Use a rubber flexible hose on the greese gun. It makes geetting to some of the grease fittings easier. Our rig also has a fitting on the steering gear box. It is accessed by removing a rubber cover. I also put a brass valve on the oil pan. It has a clear plastic hose attached. Makes draining the oil much easier. One can direct the oil right in to an empty gallon milk bottle etc. and turn it on and off. I also find that a large piece of cardboard under the rig makes taking care of spills and cleaning up much easier. My current position is that changing the oil gives me the opportunity to check things out underneath that I probably wouldn't get to otherwise. The other condition is that it takes less time to do some things myself than taking the MH someplace. I still change brakes on the other vehicles for the same reason. It really depends on experience and desire. Money is seldom an overwhelming factor but is still there.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Folks,

I prefer to do my own oil changes (Mobil-1 and AC/Delco filter only). But, I'll do my own lube job only when I can't find a shop to do it for me. (We are fulltimers and traveling).

My son gave me a battery-powered Lincoln grease gun for Christmas a few years back, and it sure eases the job, except for the crawling around under the MH. I'll gladly pay someone to grease it.

If you are interested in the grease gun, checkout:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lnc1244.html

Richard Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

HI HO: Hey, Richard that's a cool gresase gun. No air hose to pull around. I have 7 sond, but no such luck yet. I don't see why you wouldn't do your own grease job every time. You sound a little anal about oil and grease is also important. If you have a smooth, hard surface under the MH, a creeper makes it really pretty easy. And you get the chance to check most of the underside for other potential problems before they happen. Thanks for the heads-up on the cool grease gun. I too find that 3 hands are often required for manual guns.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

There's a silver lining, the bright side, etc, etc.

At least you have easy access to medical care!
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote