Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Noisy basement heat pump

Basement heat pump making ratteling noise. Has anybody had this problem. Taylor says that he must drop unit to determine source of noise. Requires three hours to drop unit to determine what the part is, order it, Wait for delivery, then install new part. For a full timer in winter, it would seem an experienced service person should be able to determine source of noise without dropping the unit. Anyone had this problem?
Winnebago voyage 38J
rolliefbaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

experienced service person

Where do you find one?

They have been known to have broken squirrel cage blower fans.

Here is some good info from Duner.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...zBiZTYxYzU5ZWQ
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...zBiZTYxYzU5ZWQ This is the link to the removal process by Duner. Sorry for the length as I couldn't find it any other way. I've had mine out twice. It's not too hard and with the top off it should be easy to find the issue. My buddy's unit had the bearing flying loose and it made a noise at start up. The article recommends some changes that I did as well.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 12-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

rolliefbaile, you have a very common problem. Since I repaired mine in 2008, it's been very quiet, now 13 yrs old with 9 yrs fulltiming. Many iRV2 members have successfully repaired their own unit saving many hundreds of $$$. And when you're fulltiming, it's heck of a lot more convenient to do on your time frame and not waiting for a service center.

You don't say what year your coach is. It'd be good to add that to your signature info, along with the chassis type.

BTY, after 2007 or so, the basement units came with the composite plastic squirrel cage and they got rid of the metal ones that wear out and get noisy. Your squealing may be just the brass bearings needing replacement. Regardless, if you plan on keeping the coach for a while, make sure you replace the metal cage with plastic.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 12-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think you are being unfair. I have worked on heating and air conditioning equipment for 45 years and it is hard to know what is wrong with the unit until I take it out and open it up. There are 2 squirrel cage blowers and both have berings on them. Do you expect him to order in all parts that could be wrong before pulling it for repair? Even the most experienced would not know for sure what it needs till he opens it up.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Duner on the bearings and squirrel cage. The bearings are lubed by oil cups that are supposed to be filled every 6 months. Sealed ball bearings are much better as is the plastic fan over the old metal one. I did both of mine several years ago.

Dave
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just did mine today. Had a screeching sound during operation. I replaced my outer bearing and squirrel cage. MUCH quieter operation now.....not to mention lack of screeching sound. Duner's unit in his tutorial was not exactly like mine but was a very good start. I had like 10 screws on the duct that had to be removed, including a rail in the top with four. I had to take the inside cover (outside case wall) off to get the blower assy out. Much easier than trying to bend and move the copper tubing around to get it out the top. I needed to replace the bolts (screws) on the bearing "strut". Stripped them out during removal. A long extension on a cordless drill made short work of the mount bolts for the blower assy. Much thanks to Duner for his tutorial. Cost me less than 100 bucks and probably saved me 750 plus the hassle of finding someone to actually work on it. DW is much happier as well as amazed. Thanks Duner. 👍👍
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heat pump