Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

no power to electric awning

Awning isn't getting power. Checking inside switch box. Checking toggle switch. called service tech hotline. Can't find issue? Any suggestions??
mickeylg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It would help if you'd provide the year, make and model of the coach as well as what kind of awning it is.

Since you called Winnie tech support and are still looking for help here... what did Winnie tell you?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Mickey

Tech support said it was normally the switch. No help. There is 4.3 volts at the switch which is the problem in my mind so far. And the electric TV antenna quit working at the same time. The motor home is a 2010 Winnabego Tour, which we bought just 6 months ago and have been fixing 1 problem after the other. I can not seem to find the info on the awning itself.?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Since your getting some voltage, and with the antenna issue, I would suspect a bad ground. I've found they need cleaned more often than you would think.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Mickey

The awning is made by Carefree of Colorado. It is the patio awning. The door awning works fine. It has 12.4 volts at the switch.
Feeling frustrated with these electrical problems!
Already replaced the Norcold refrig cooling unit. What next?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

How do I find the responsible ground?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have not had your exact problem ... but I have had three similar ones ... two were traced to a wire that had lost it's effective continuity and was fixed by running a parallel wire ... the third was traced to a corroded snap together connector which was fixed by replacing the connector (at the factory)

Quite often these wires are included in a gigantic bundle of wires that travel through the firewall or floor ... it is hard to trace the exact path of some of these wires and running a parallel wire is a practical fix.

One of the wires that lost effective continuity was for the step well cover ... the wire had 12.6 volts before it entered the bundle ... and about 6 volts when it arrived at the switch.

The tech used an alternate source of 12v DC to the switch ... the step well cover worked correctly ... so he knew the problem was voltage arriving at the switch ... so he ran a new power wire
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There is a 10 amp fuse behind the antenna for the awning...you need to open the box located in your large storage slide out area passenger side . I replaced mine with a 15 amp fuse 3 years ago and have had no further issues.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power