Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No more carpet

I want to remove the carpet in the living area of my class A . I have a slide so I'm concerned that once it's gone the slide could be affected and not work properly. Also need to know how to get carpet that goes under the slide out. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Susan
SJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It would be helpful if you gave us some detail on your year and model MH. In the meantime, here's some info based on my experience with my 2002 Suncruiser 35U.

1. It's not necessary to remove the carpet that's still under the slide when it's extended. If you hit the retract button slightly, the inboard edge of your slide should lift enough for you to cut the carpet with a utility knife far back enough so it's not visible after installing your new flooring. If you have difficulty, try retracting it an inch or so on top of two or three small wedges, no more than 3/8", or so, high.

2. The slide should work properly, especially if your new floor has some thickness to it as opposed to sheet vinyl.

3. If you install laminate or plank vinyl, you may have a problem with scratching from sand or grit. This means your floor has to be very clean before retracting. There are also floor protectors that you can buy or make to lay down before retracting.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0.../dp/B0031NFUHQ

4. I'm not sure what it's called but your existing slide probably has a plastic fitting running under it's inboard edge to slide over the carpet. This can be replaced with a carpeted fitting to run over hard flooring. I didn't do this so I can't tell you how to do it.

5. The reason I didn't do #4 is that I replaced my carpet with commercial quality, 19" or 20" carpet tiles. They're a nice compromise between hard flooring and your old carpet. They're nice on bare feet, stain resistant, easy to keep clean, don't scratch and easy to install. I installed mine with double-sided carpet tape. If one gets damaged it's easy to replace (buy extra).
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all your help. Under my carpet their is linoleum so all I have to do is cut the carpet out and put down one of those strips along the edge where I will be leaving the carpet. My motor home is a 2005 Winnebago Voyage.
SJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Here is a link to a video to caution before removing carpet. Not sure if this is the same type of slide that you have but something to check out.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G View Post
Here is a link to a video to caution before removing carpet. Not sure if this is the same type of slide that you have but something to check out.
Exactly why we went with carpet tiles. I know there are those who are scrupulously clean and can even get away with wood flooring, but neither our Border Collie, my wife, nor I fall into that camp. We often camp in state parks at the beach etc. which compounds the problem.

It only takes once.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote