Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No LP at the cook top?

Question: We have a 2012 Winnebago Tour QD. The propane cook top has simply stopped igniting - it sparks but does not light and I cannot hear or smell gas when the knob is opened. It is the only device connected to the LP tank. The tank is full (I recently filled it); the gauge reads "full". I thought maybe the regulator was kaput so I replaced it. I did smell gas when I removed it. I have followed the gas line all the way to where it goes up through the floor and can find no other valves. The problem is that it goes up behind the dishwasher and appears to be inaccessible without removing the dishwasher! It does not appear that there is anyway to lift up the cooktop from above. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!
bullrhider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
try this. open a burner valve and try to light it with a match or one of those propane matches. if the gas is flowing you'll see one or more of the burner orifices light. there may be air in the system which the igniter cannot overcome. you may have to hold the match in place for a second or two.

afterthought: you did open the supply valve on the tank after it was filled, right?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I did a bit of look at the propane lines and it does look very simple with only a couple points of use, which may depend on options on your specific RV, so brings a couple thoughts. One is if you have an outside connection for propane where you could test for flow there, or is that an options shown but not on your RV? Also what is the high point which I do not know about?
Getting flow there would prove out the regulator and lines were good to that point if accessible.
But another way to go might be to try prying the cooktop up to get to the connections inside. Propane is very low pressure and it is not uncommon for a bit of debris like rust in a line can move to a small point called an orifice and stop flow. Somewhat hazardous but it is possible to crack open a joint in the stove itself to see if you have flow there.
Do be careful of fumes, and fire hazard!!
Prying up the cooktop can get into some nerves as they tend to very tight and may seem almost to the point of damage to get them up but I have not seen one that did not give access to clean under and around the burners. If checking for air in the line with a match, watch for it to blow the flame around if way full of air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lp.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	174873  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! I'll try that!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Also be aware that a propane tank has an excess flow valve and if you snap open the valve to fast it will shut off the flow..(safety)...To cure this shut the tank valve off and open a cook stove tap to release any pressure in the line.. then close the cook stove tap and then Very Slowly Ease the tank valve open VERY slowly until its fully open. Not saying this is the problem but a lot of people have been caught out by this simple feature.
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
Also be aware that a propane tank has an excess flow valve and if you snap open the valve to fast it will shut off the flow..(safety)...To cure this shut the tank valve off and open a cook stove tap to release any pressure in the line.. then close the cook stove tap and then Very Slowly Ease the tank valve open VERY slowly until its fully open. Not saying this is the problem but a lot of people have been caught out by this simple feature.
Good thought here.
Always do some of the simple easy checks first before getting into the wrench thinking!
Old 09-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you - good idea. Since I posted I have done some "exploratory surgery". Tank valve works when regulator is removed. Regulator works when attached to a 20# tank. Regulator works when attached to RV tank but with the out line detached. Once the line is reattached, the accessory connection (first stop before the cook top) does not discharge gas. It appears there is a blockage or closure in the gas line -- but it seems that line is too big and robust to totally plug up?
Old 09-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrhider View Post
Thank you - good idea. Since I posted I have done some "exploratory surgery". Tank valve works when regulator is removed. Regulator works when attached to a 20# tank. Regulator works when attached to RV tank but with the out line detached. Once the line is reattached, the accessory connection (first stop before the cook top) does not discharge gas. It appears there is a blockage or closure in the gas line -- but it seems that line is too big and robust to totally plug up?
Agree with this thinking on getting the whole big line stopped but gas usually has a tiny opening called an orifice before it gets to the flame. One size for propane and a different one for natural gas.
Cut and copy info?
about 0.082 inches
Propane and Natural Gas Are Supplied at Different Pressures
Cooktop burners typically supply about 40,000 BTUs per hour. A propane stove orifice size is about 0.082 inches (drill size 45), but the valve on a similar stove that uses natural gas needs an orifice that is almost 0.125 inches (drill size 35).Mar 31, 2019

So .082 inch? That hole is pretty easy to see it getting stopped with most anything, so that leaves me to think that is pretty like to be at the stove orifice. But what you might be looking for is not a big high tech item, but more like a small plug with a tiny hole like this:
https://www.thebbqdepot.com/orifice-...0aAmNKEALw_wcB
But guessing like that can be very far off as it "could" be something more like the gas valve/switch at the stove. If you can figure a way to get the top pried up on the stove, the parts inside are pretty much clear as you will have a gas line coming in, with the orifice often setting near some form of metal shield gizmo to keep the wind off the flow as it is a really small amount of gas mixing with lots of air when we see it at the burners.
Not sure I recommend this vid too far but it does show how little there is inside the stove but we'll hope your's is a bit better shape?

Not knowing who may read and what experience, I want to mention using care again as gas can do lots of BAD things. One, since it is inside any leak we leave or any gas we let out can collect in a "puddle" near the floor and stay an amazingly long time if we don't make sure to avoid it, we get really bad results.
I've done it once and DO NOT recommend setting that stuff on fire! Wait till the next day if you feel it needed but do whatever it takes to avoid a fire or explosion!!!!
Old 09-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrhider View Post
Question: We have a 2012 Winnebago Tour QD. The propane cook top has simply stopped igniting - it sparks but does not light and I cannot hear or smell gas when the knob is opened. It is the only device connected to the LP tank. The tank is full (I recently filled it); the gauge reads "full". I thought maybe the regulator was kaput so I replaced it. I did smell gas when I removed it. I have followed the gas line all the way to where it goes up through the floor and can find no other valves. The problem is that it goes up behind the dishwasher and appears to be inaccessible without removing the dishwasher! It does not appear that there is anyway to lift up the cooktop from above. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!
Had the same problem. Had a oil contaminated tank. LP has some oil naturally. If the LP supplier does not filter it out we end up with it in our tanks.
Remove your LP regulator from the tank and remove the fittings from the regulator. If you can drain the oil from the regulator it may work. It took me a while to get all of the oil out of my tank. It cost me the main regulator and one on my grill. When you put things back together spray the fitting with soapy water when you put tank pressure to the system. (But, you already know this.)
Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We had similar problem after we took it in for a recall issue. Turned out we needed to bleed air out. Rather than keep clicking the igniter, we turned on gas and held an ignitor to the burner for a few minutes until it finally ignighted. Good luck. Issues like that can be frustrating.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote