Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No Air From Dash

Hi all,

I have an '03 Winnebago 33V and my dash air vents have stopped working. Everything seems to be coming out of the defrosters and floor vents only. I read that it might be a vaccuum tube problem. Any ideas where to look?
BCIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Defiantly sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere in there.
rlamustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Examine the (blue?) vacuum hose that connects to the bottom of the outside heater shell.

A crack in any vacuum hose will bleed the system, and mess with ALL heater operations.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Follow the green vacuum hose where it connects to thevalve that regulates the openning and position of the dash vents. Usually the green hose plugs into a piece of windshield washer hoses that connects it to the vent control. Everyone I looked at withbyouvissues had a leak here. You do not need the black connector hose. You can attach the green to the module directly. Also checkbthe ball looking vacuum tank at the bottom to make sure the main vacuum hose . Listen for the vacuum pump to stop then no leaks. Rkl
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
RKL
Winnebago Owner

The green hose is under the front outside cap on the left side. It should be to the right of the heater/ac box on the firewall . Rkl
Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone, it gives me a place to start looking. Definately gotta get it fixed before the hot weather sets in. (When ever that is)
Old 05-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCIslander View Post
Thanks everyone, it gives me a place to start looking. Definately gotta get it fixed before the hot weather sets in. (When ever that is)
Oh yea! I had a similar problem on my '05 Vectra. After the shop blew the diagnostics and replaced the control (damaging the dash in the process) the senior tech found a small tube on the vacuum assist pump on the firewall that was cracked. See if you might have a similar component and check all of the lines to it. Mine had a small metal tube linking the hose to the device. The little hose from the device to the metal tube was broken. He removed the metal tube and direct connected the vacuum hose. All was well again. I hope your problem is as simple a fix.

Rick
Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had same problem with my '04 Workhorse. The blue plastic vacuum line running in the engine compartment had faded to a near white in some spots and I could scrape off the deteriorating surface with my thumb nail. It was leaking but I couldn't see any cracks. I spliced in a replacement for the section in the engine compartment, and didn't mess with getting inside the dash and connecting to the vacuum selector switch. Been working just fine now for 3 yrs.

Is yours a WH or Ford? Not sure they both use the same colors and quality of plastic tubing. If you own a WH, better take a look at the the plastic under the hood......if you see a lot of fading of the color, it's a good bet that your leak will be coming soon!

Good luck,
Bill
Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Here's the update on the dash air. First thanks for the diagram on the vacuum system, it was a great help in Identifying the problem.

I was able to track the various lines and see where they went. As it turns out our friends caught up with us and John is a mechanic with a lot of experience. We first determined if there was vacuum or not. There was so we checked for Vac at the dash knob module. None present. A quick inspection of the black line and found it was separated at a coupling. Put them back together and viola...dash air.

It may have been separated when I had some electrical problems sorted out a number of months ago. Again, thanks everyone, for the help and a great forum.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here's the update on the dash air. ...........
Thanks for the update. It's nice to know our suggestions panned out in a favorable way.

Happy (and cool)travels,
Bill
Old 06-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here's the update on the dash air. First thanks for the diagram on the vacuum system, it was a great help in Identifying the problem.

I was able to track the various lines and see where they went. As it turns out our friends caught up with us and John is a mechanic with a lot of experience. We first determined if there was vacuum or not. There was so we checked for Vac at the dash knob module. None present. A quick inspection of the black line and found it was separated at a coupling. Put them back together and viola...dash air.

It may have been separated when I had some electrical problems sorted out a number of months ago. Again, thanks everyone, for the help and a great forum.
Glad all is back to functioning. And thanks for the update info.

Rick Y
Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Many thanks for posting the vacuum/electrical diagrams.

I am working on a similar but not identical problem. When I am driving along with maxair and the blower motor on high, the fan will occasionally drop down to a low speed for a while and then go to an exceptionally high speed for a while and then return to low. I have checked the defroster vent to see if the air was going out that way but it wasn't. This has never happened standing still which makes it hard to trouble shoot.

On my Suburban (which has very similar if not identical controls), when I go to maxair the blower goes to a higher speed. This does not happen in the motor home, should it?

Where physically are the blower motor resistor and the high blower relay?

I am going out to the motor home to resume the search.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
Many thanks for posting the vacuum/electrical diagrams.

I am working on a similar but not identical problem. When I am driving along with maxair and the blower motor on high, the fan will occasionally drop down to a low speed for a while and then go to an exceptionally high speed for a while and then return to low. I have checked the defroster vent to see if the air was going out that way but it wasn't. This has never happened standing still which makes it hard to trouble shoot.

On my Suburban (which has very similar if not identical controls), when I go to maxair the blower goes to a higher speed. This does not happen in the motor home, should it?

Where physically are the blower motor resistor and the high blower relay?

I am going out to the motor home to resume the search.
I think that I have found the high blower relay, it is screwed onto the front of the plenum, see attached picture.

I don't mean to hijack a thread but I am using, gratefully, the diagrams that I found here.

The way that this seems to work (I am fishing for corrections if I am wrong) is that the relay is picked by the orange/black wire which I assume the high speed setting thus bypassing the blower motor resistor. If I am correct about this, I can eliminate the resistor as a suspect for my problem.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I think that I have found the high blower relay, it is screwed onto the front of the plenum, see attached picture.

I don't mean to hijack a thread but I am using, gratefully, the diagrams that I found here.

The way that this seems to work (I am fishing for corrections if I am wrong) is that the relay is picked by the orange/black wire which I assume the high speed setting thus bypassing the blower motor resistor. If I am correct about this, I can eliminate the resistor as a suspect for my problem.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Bruce, I have a strong suspicion that the resistor is mounted on the back side of the connector that is shown in your photo just to the left of the relay. I think you'll see the resistor that is a coil that sits out in the flow of the air that is drawn into the blower.

Happy Travels,
Bill
Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Bruceh

You are correct. The one on the right in your picture is the relay. I just went through similar process. My blower quit working on high speed. Replaced relay and all is fine with blower.

Tags
dash, dash air